Why become a member? ×

Alex James

Dicey

I was lucky enough to see Blur last night. Great gig, I grew up on those basslines!

What a player Alex is, though it doesnt seem like his playing gets much attention from fellow bassists, am I wrong?

Anyway, now I want a '58 reissue p bass 🙈

20230624_205125.jpg

• Like 2

I always saw him as the obligatory eye candy for the ladies. I never really paid much attention to his playing. But I was wrong, he is a great bassist. His work on the first Blur albums alone is top notch. Much more inventive than the Mancunian Beatles tribute act that was much hyped as their rivals back in the day. 

• Like 5

Quality player and a great band, despite the inevitable link to britpop and the negative conotations that seems to now infer. There's no place to hide in a band with no rhythm guitarist. I saw them plenty of times over the years and he's a musical and inventive player, while never giving the impression of someone weighed down by technical considerations 🙂

• Like 2

I really like his bass playing (and enjoying playing Girls & Boys and Country House in our current set) but I went off him after he suggested that playing bass was easy. I know Dave Mustaine has said the same recently but I've always thought he was a bit of a See You Next Tuesday. The man does make some lovely cheese as well though.