Why become a member? ×

Holiday camps and hotels!

Mickeyboro

I have spent my first weekend as a guest at a Warners Leisure Hotel. They get musical acts in for weekends, and Saturday’s was quite a big name tribute act. 

They play theatres at the £30 price point and have toured internationally. So clearly this cut-down show was a money maker. I got the feeling they weren’t putting their all into it, with the audience perhaps more subdued than they were accustomed to. 

Have you played one of these types of venue and what are your experiences?

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1

Played Butlins Skegness Great British Rock and Blues Weekend. Was a great concept, but it was on its last legs and I'm not sure if it has returned post lockdown.

There was good support for the new bands on the Introducing stage, and a good spread of old names - Nazareth,  9 Below Zero are the first to come to mind.

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 3

We’ve done both Warners and Butlins venues in the last few years.

Played at a quite a few of the Warner’s hotels, and they all felt rather sterile to me.

Also changing facilities were poor, and some of the stages not great. 

Much preferred Butlins, which just felt more of a band environment. Crazy audiences

up for a good time at 70’s themed weekends, most of them well leathered by early afternoon!

We hauled all our stuff up some stairs at Skeggy, only for me to find out later that they had a

house SVT rig which I could have used. 🤨

• Like 1

I played a decent one with the Bon Jovi tribute band I used to be in.  It was called Bunn Leisure at Selsey on the south coast - called something else now.  That was a great gig, great facilities although food options were limited.  Fish and chips or sausage and chips as I recall.  They put on some good shows and had a massive revolving stage that had a curtain across the middle, so we could physically set up while the act before was on, then it was all spun around.  A couple of chalets were put at our disposal to stay afterwards but I drove home.

• Like 2

Done Butlins at Skeggy and Minehead. Big stages, nice house rigs (SVT and 8x10 cab) and the staff took good care of us each time. 

Good crowds at these weekends (I think ours have been 1970s weekends) and people right up for a dance and sing along.

We were on just before Stan Boardman last time! 

Cool gigs. 

• Like 2