Why become a member? ×

Digital bass !

nilorius

1 minute ago, itu said:

Steve Chick made the first really functional split-fret bass in the 80's (it wasn't the first in the world, but first functional and mass-produced). Industrial Radio is his company at the moment.

This is a different take:

https://misadigital.com/products/tri-bass

I just looked at it, but that is not what i really thought about. I think more a bass that is still played with real or somehow digitalized strings (to not loose a feel of playing it) and digital pickup witch is controlled with a chip witch can create any bass guitar sound You like. Only for different brands left is design, color and the control type of the whole instrument together. Finally - You must learn to play the bass as You do it in these days to play it better and better.....

15 minutes ago, itu said:

Steve Chick made the first really functional split-fret bass in the 80's (it wasn't the first in the world, but first functional and mass-produced). Industrial Radio is his company at the moment.

This is a different take:

https://misadigital.com/products/tri-bass

Is that the one Chris Wolstenholme plays on Madness?

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Line 6 Variax MIDI bass..? Or any MIDI-controller, nowadays. I sometimes use a Sonuus MIDI interface to play basson or cello lines on my bass. Is that not digital enough..? :/

I think that midi is MIDI. I think a lot of players would be disapointed that their teqnique master class would not count so much anymore.

Can I be first in with the ‘I have a digital bass… I play it with my fingers’ gag?

But yes, I remember seeing someone with a MIDI-capable bass thirty years ago. Can’t remember what make it was but I think it was an early model this guy was helping the manufacturer to develop. It had each fret split into a different section for each string in order to detect by electrical contact which notes were being fretted. 

4 minutes ago, nekomatic said:

Can I be first in with the ‘I have a digital bass… I play it with my fingers’ gag?

But yes, I remember seeing someone with a MIDI-capable bass thirty years ago. Can’t remember what make it was but I think it was an early model this guy was helping the manufacturer to develop. It had each fret split into a different section for each string in order to detect by electrical contact which notes were being fretted. 

I remember that too. The 4 part frets were used as buttons underneath to help lower latency. It was quite an interesting idea but I'm not surprised it didn't work very well.

I think these days more people play multiple instruments, so a bassist probably won't buy a digital bass, they'll get a hardware synth or a keyboard midi controller and some plugins for any sound that isn't like a bass guitar.

The home recording revolution had definitely led to more multi-instrumentalists, helped by even modest instruments being so damn good now.

I still remember my first set up. A Yamaha MT50 4 track tape machine, a Zoom 234 drum machine, my guitar and the Korg Pandora Mk1.

I actually have one of these sitting behind me as I type:

inspired-instruments-you-rock-guitar-yrg

The Variax bass isn't MIDI. The Sonuus B2M isn't that great. I'm just about to fit a Roland GK-3B onto a 6-string bass but I won't be using it for MIDI, just for processing through a GR-55. The Industrial Radio MIDI basses are probably the best bet - there have been other split fret switching instruments too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nilorius said:

If in near future a digital bass would be made, how it should work, from Your point of view ? 

A digital bass is 100% software using AI to generate playing and effects in any and every playing style to accompany the rest of the track. 
no analogue humans or physical things need exist - 100% digital, and before you ask, yes it would be good for metal 

37 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

A digital bass is 100% software using AI to generate playing and effects in any and every playing style to accompany the rest of the track. 
no analogue humans or physical things need exist - 100% digital, and before you ask, yes it would be good for metal 

like the EZBass plug in! 

1964 Bob Murrell develops Guitorgan with split frets and it's polyphonic
1966 Vox V251 i.e. Guitar Organ, the unreliable guitar synth after Guitorgan
At the end of 1960's Ovation develops piezo pickup to their acoustic instruments (piezo will be important in coming MIDI controllers)
1969 Ron Hoag presents optical (IR) pickup at NAMM

1976 EBow; Ampeg and Hagström create Patch 2000
1977 Roland produces their first g-word synth GR-500 (Greco Roland) and bass synth F (= Fuji) Roland

1981 MIDI is standardized
1984 carbon fibre Bond Electraglide is built with fully digital controls, although the pickups are traditional
1985 Steve Chick (Industrial Radio) uses split fret neck (remember the Guitorgan 1964; Wal, Peavey MidiBase and CyberBass)
1986 SynthAxe

1987 Casio 510

1990's Sustainiac (kind of built-in EBow)

2002 Line6 Variax
Lightwave Systems optical pickups

Misa Kitara and Tri-Bass

What's next?

26 minutes ago, itu said:

1964 Bob Murrell develops Guitorgan with split frets and it's polyphonic
1966 Vox V251 i.e. Guitar Organ, the unreliable guitar synth after Guitorgan
At the end of 1960's Ovation develops piezo pickup to their acoustic instruments (piezo will be important in coming MIDI controllers)
1969 Ron Hoag presents optical (IR) pickup at NAMM

1976 EBow; Ampeg and Hagström create Patch 2000
1977 Roland produces their first g-word synth GR-500 (Greco Roland) and bass synth F (= Fuji) Roland

1981 MIDI is standardized
1984 carbon fibre Bond Electraglide is built with fully digital controls, although the pickups are traditional
1985 Steve Chick (Industrial Radio) uses split fret neck (remember the Guitorgan 1964; Wal, Peavey MidiBase and CyberBass)
1986 SynthAxe

1987 Casio 510

1990's Sustainiac (kind of built-in EBow)

2002 Line6 Variax
Lightwave Systems optical pickups

Misa Kitara and Tri-Bass

What's next?

terminator