Why become a member? ×

When to get a second cab?

asingardenof

Just now, BassAdder60 said:

What’s with all the foam around the ABM600?

Do BF cabs vibrate that badly ?? 

Looks nasty I know, nothing to do with vibration, there was small gaps in the wood housing, just filled them in so the unit was flush and tight, I'm a heavy handed Tw8t when it comes to loading in and out!

41 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I've played through a 4x10 before, is it much different?

Not for the BF Two10S due to the way they hi-pass one of the drivers in the pair, so the usual comb filtering issues are removed.

• Like 2

Actually I take that back. The Two10 is designed to have a different tone when vertical vs when horizontal. More phatness if horizontal, tighter and more focussed bottom end of vertical. Plus of course drivers closer to your ears.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

Actually I take that back. The Two10 is designed to have a different tone when vertical vs when horizontal. More phatness if horizontal, tighter and more focussed bottom end of vertical. Plus of course drivers closer to your ears.

Didn’t know that, have you tried both and is there much difference in the bass 

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Didn’t know that, have you tried both and is there much difference in the bass 

Yep, noticeable difference. There’s a YouTube video from BF showing it too (if you use decent headphones!)

• Thanks 1

Just have a play, in the end as it came up, I traded my bf 410 for 2 210s. Flexibility although I wouldn't fancy stacking it vertical! Sounds immense as is, although at practice I only take one and it stays horizontal and still fills the room nicely 

6 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

Just have a play, in the end as it came up, I traded my bf 410 for 2 210s. Flexibility although I wouldn't fancy stacking it vertical! Sounds immense as is, although at practice I only take one and it stays horizontal and still fills the room nicely 

Think I'll get a second one eventually but for now budgetary and space constraints say that one will do :D 

• Like 2

Or too much hair...

What I forgot to stress was that if you buy two cabs, unless you've got more restraint that I have*, be prepared to take them both out all the time... 😐🙂

* Which is possible, just sayin...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

I've played through a 4x10 before, is it much different?

Very. 4x10 beams the tone while swamping the stage with lows. A vertical stack of tens beams only a tiny bit so you get a much better monitor. Same for most of the room when your PA is for vocals in a bar situation.

• Like 1

I bought a second bf 210s to go with my ABM 600 and to be honest I was a little underwhelmed. It didn't give me the volume and presence boost I was expecting - I put that down to having to run them at 12ohms and maybe never needing to drive the amp to a volume where it would have made a difference.

I also tried stacking them vertically on top of each other but I actually think the dispersion on those cabs is so good that it didn't make too much difference.

So I felt like I'd wasted my money and moved the cab on. Luckily the cabs retain their value quite well, so I didn't take too much of a loss. That was my experience if that helps.

Edited by alexa3020
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

I bought a second bf 210s to go with my ABM 600 and to be honest I was a little underwhelmed. It didn't give me the volume and presence boost I was expecting - I put that down to having to run them at 12ohms and maybe never needing to drive the amp to a volume where it would have made a difference.

I also tried stacking them vertically on top of each other but I actually think the dispersion on those cabs is so good that it didn't make too much difference.

So I felt like I'd wasted my money and moved the cab on. Luckily the cabs retain their value quite well, so I didn't take too much of a loss. That was my experience if that helps.

That very much does help, thanks! Maybe I'll save it for when I can buy an extra two and can run all three cabs at full bore. Might need another amp at that point though. Hmm...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

That very much does help, thanks! Maybe I'll save it for when I can buy an extra two and can run all three cabs at full bore. Might need another amp at that point though. Hmm...

Nope, 3x12 ohm cabs = 4 ohms.

Do it.

You know you want to.

😀

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 05:34, Stofferson said:

The dream!

So near, yet so far. They had separate arrays for every instrument, as well as the vocals. Today we accomplish the same result with just PA arrays. They didn't have floor monitors either, the PA arrays in back of them were their monitors. In order to prevent feedback they placed two mics close together, with one wired reverse polarity. The sound from the PA reaching both of them was cancelled out, so no feedback. Their vocals weren't cancelled, as they sang into only one mic of the pair. They had two of these systems, which leapfrogged each other from gig to gig. That got old fast, they abandoned it after only seven months of use.

28 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

@Stofferson Stack those two on their ends for a vertical 4x10 for s further experience in delight. They'll work better out in the room and you'll be able to hear yourself way better! :D

These have a high-passed speaker so actually work out a little like a line array. They do work great vertically but they also work great like this :)

Stacked vertically they take up less stage area. That might be important at some gigs. :)

Had a band leader who complained about my amp being so big. He also complained about my use of a Six String bass as if he could tell the difference on sound alone. Meanwhile he had a Bunch of instruments splayed around him that he actually never played!  He was also the weakest member of the band! LOL

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Stacked vertically they take up less stage area. That might be important at some gigs. :)

Had a band leader who complained about my amp being so big. He also complained about my use of a Six String bass as if he could tell the difference on sound alone. Meanwhile he had a Bunch of instruments splayed around him that he actually never played!  He was also the weakest member of the band! LOL

Standard band leader 😅

• Like 3