Why become a member? ×

Bass eq. Sorting the boom on certain notes

ricksterphil

So played a pub gig on Friday, had problems with some notes booming. A when played at 5th fret was the worst, got round it by playing very softly or playing open A near the bridge. My amp is a Handbox 400 so there isn't an EQ on the amp. I was playing my Mike Lull M4V which is active, but playing in passive mode as the active mode wasn't working for some reason, even with new batteries.

This particular pub is a bit tricky for sound as we had a few issues with the PA.

Any thoughts anyone? Should I buy a graphic EQ for my board? Ive tried a Boss GB7 in the past and didn't like it as it seemed to act more like a pre-amp.

The amp was going through 2 12 inch cabs, a Handbox and a DHC, so was operating at 4ohms. Not sure if that's a factor.

2 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

This particular pub is a bit tricky for sound as we had a few issues with the PA.

I suspect this is your problem. If you’ve not had this issue in other venues, this pub’s acoustics seems the most likely cause.

• Like 2

I have a wee cheat sheet for frequencies/notes that was very handy for quickly helping mitigate those boomy rooms or feedback 

The idea being if you play an A and you get boom you can work on the frequency of the note or the 5th as I believe they’re most likely the culprit notes/frequencies. To get the higher frequencies just double the numbers up for the respective range of the instrument causing the issue. 

If it’s an A note causing feedback the issue is likely gonna be a higher freq than what’s listed here usually but be either 440Hz 880Hz 1.7kHz 3.4kHz 6.8kHz or up and up approximately and if it’s a boomy resonance thing it could be worth checking 220Hz  110Hz 55Hz you get the idea. 

If that’s not working try the same simple process/equation for ‘the 5th’ which in this case is E. It helps if you can identity the offending note as that speeds up the problem solving rather than just twisting knobs mindlessly like our singer used to do before I gave him this chart!

Its a simplistic formula but handy. 

To fix and issues you’ll obviously need an eq pedal so something with easy to grab sliders is useful as they tell you the frequency!  The Genzler pedal on the for sales would be a great tool for this kinda thing. 

Ignore the missing # for the B-F#😖

image.thumb.jpg.fbf1ecb717c7a79750ec461e5f1e4356.jpg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, krispn said:

I have a wee cheat sheet for frequencies/notes that was very handy for quickly helping mitigate those boomy rooms or feedback 

The idea being if you play an A and you get boom you can work on the frequency of the note or the 5th as I believe they’re most likely the culprit notes/frequencies. To get the higher frequencies just double the numbers up for the respective range of the instrument causing the issue. 

If it’s an A note causing feedback the issue is likely gonna be a higher freq than what’s listed here usually but be either 440Hz 880Hz 1.7kHz 3.4kHz 6.8kHz or up and up approximately and if it’s a boomy resonance thing it could be worth checking 220Hz  110Hz 55Hz you get the idea. 

If that’s not working try the same simple process/equation for ‘the 5th’ which in this case is E. It helps if you can identity the offending note as that speeds up the problem solving rather than just twisting knobs mindlessly like our singer used to do before I gave him this chart!

Its a simplistic formula but handy. 

To fix and issues you’ll obviously need an eq pedal so something with easy to grab sliders is useful as they tell you the frequency!  The Genzler pedal on the for sales would be a great tool for this kinda thing. 

Ignore the missing # for the B-F#😖

image.thumb.jpg.fbf1ecb717c7a79750ec461e5f1e4356.jpg

Thanks, very useful..... I'll save and refer to if it happens again 🙂

I've seen the Genzler pedal and am pondering 

43 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Not sure if a parametric or graphic EQ would be best....I need to research how a parametric EQ works and how to adjust it effectively 

Short answer: put it in medium to wide  bandwidth mode with some boost, sweep frequency until is makes things worse, narrow the bandwidth as needed, go to cut mode rather than boost and fine tune the frequency. An experienced user can do all that in a couple of seconds. A really experienced user just dials in the primary problem frequency that they already recognize and cuts it.

Another possibility is playing with cab placement, for instance getting it out of a corner or closer to or further from a wall or the floor. It may also be worthwhile to make sure it's not related to unwanted bass getting into the microphones and/or exciting the drum kit and creating ringing that way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Passinwind said:

Short answer: put it in medium to wide  bandwidth mode with some boost, sweep frequency until is makes things worse, narrow the bandwidth as needed, go to cut mode rather than boost and fine tune the frequency. An experienced user can do all that in a couple of seconds. A really experienced user just dials in the primary problem frequency that they already recognize and cuts it.

Another possibility is playing with cab placement, for instance getting it out of a corner or closer to or further from a wall or the floor. It may also be worthwhile to make sure it's not related to unwanted bass getting into the microphones and/or exciting the drum kit and creating ringing that way.

Thanks. The cabs were close to the drums so that probably didn't help

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Sometimes re-tuning the kick and/or the floor tom a little can help as well, in my experience.

The floor tom was right in front of my cabs....wonder if that was a factor 

Edited by ricksterphil

'A' seems to be a common troublesome note in terms of acoustics. We have the same issue with our rehearsal room and a couple of local venues.

Solution... rather than buy extra eq's, change the key of your songs to avoid any use of the note. It's much cheaper that way! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I once had a sound guy as if I could “not play that note!” during a sound check. “What don’t play a G! For the rest of the gig?”

Yeah he replied. 😖

Well, sometimes you need to be willing to make compromised, think of it, he could have chosen to make his job even easier and just told all of you not to play at all.

Kind of like how painters usually needs to be payed extra to bother putting up masking tape and not just paint over wall power outlets e.t.c. ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash