Why become a member? ×

Caveman Audio BP1, a very, very, very short review...

bassmayhem

I got my Caveman Audio BP1 delivered yesterday, a very basic bass preamp, developed by Steen Skrydstrup in Denmark.

Read the tech here:

- Hi-Z Cable Input

- Transformer-balanced gold-plated Neutrik XLR Wireless Input (on one model)

- Transformer-balanced gold-plated Neutrik XLR DI

- Transformer-balanced gold-plated Amp Out jack

- Adjustable Gain and Level

- Switchable audio loop

- Transformer-balanced Tuner Output

- 9VDC output (50 mA) for powering your tuner

- Unique RFI protection and Silent Switching

- 10 Year Warranty

- Road-ready, zinc-plated steel enclosures

Easy to use, two pots: gain and level, two stomp buttons for Mute and activate the Effects loop. 

I tried it in my home studio yesterday and has just one word to say: Wow!

What goes in comes out, just better and more of it.

This one will never leave...

image.thumb.png.1e91ea4914492c149cc510b9ca8c1a67.png

image.thumb.png.23613611753aeddfffa5a1b178529edf.png

20230603_131214.thumb.jpg.bb2ef63fa23dae57462f7c99d29ed795.jpg

Well, to say more than Wow, it is truly a remarkable piece of gear. Studio grade at your feet. 

Harshness disappears, everything is more or less "soft and wooly" but with a clarity over the whole tonal spectrum.

My plan is to use this preamp with just a compressor and a tuner, for a high end all analog signal chain.

Next week I get the pedalboard delivered, a PedalTrain Metro 20.

If I should complain about one thing, it is the 9 Volt outlet to power the tuner.

It could have been "beefier" than 50 mA so it could power the compressor too, 

but that's no big deal.

I chose the PB1 over the PB1 Compact, since I wanted a unit with REAL power and not the wall wart.

I will add a power supply under the Metro too for any effects pedal to use in the loop. Maybe an envelope too...

I got the BP1, my cat got the bubble wrap; both are happy... ;) 

lilleman.thumb.jpg.f35660bb01de776878cb1d9f1274aa71.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 11

On 04/06/2023 at 14:00, Tee said:

Nice. So compressor in the loop for best results? And I guess for recording, DI out straight into your recording interface?

The loop is placed before the gain stage, but after the initial input buffer, so all effects are in front of the preamp. Check this impressive flow chart:
BP1Signalpath.thumb.jpg.b3b983268f7bb1f6ee2485d7fcd37100.jpg

DI out for recording or PA. Perfect!

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, spyder said:

Have you compared it to other high quality di boxes?

Absolutely!
I have owned the Avalon U5, and have the Jule Amp Monique. Also had the BasSwitch, EBS MB2 and MB3, TwoNotes LeBass, Sadowsky, 3LeafAudio Enabler, Bassics Pro BPA-1, the Goliath etc. The BP1 is a different beast compared to Monique. She is more a pristine valve amp in a small format, that can be a little bit dirty. All the others are "pedals" in comparison. The BP1 is a very clean but powerful piece of gear that just makes the bass sound bigger, better and "beautifuller"... Hence the Wow! Most preamps nowadays induce ugly preamp/input gain distortion and try to convince us they really are SVT's in a small box. Since I don't fancy overdriven SVT tone, but like the pristine clean powerful bass, the BP1 is the right thing for me.

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bassmayhem said:

Absolutely!
I have owned the Avalon U5, and have the Jule Amp Monique. Also had the BasSwitch, EBS MB2 and MB3, TwoNotes LeBass, Sadowsky, 3LeafAudio Enabler, Bassics Pro BPA-1, the Goliath etc. The BP1 is a different beast compared to Monique. She is more a pristine valve amp in a small format, that can be a little bit dirty. All the others are "pedals" in comparison. The BP1 is a very clean but powerful piece of gear that just makes the bass sound bigger, better and "beautifuller"... Hence the Wow! Most preamps nowadays induce ugly preamp/input gain distortion and try to convince us they really are SVT's in a small box. Since I don't fancy overdriven SVT tone, but like the pristine clean powerful bass, the BP1 is the right thing for me.

Thank you.

I have a Sonic Farm 2di4 which I think is fantastic and was thinking of getting a Caveman to compliment it. 

I tried the BP1 with my acoustic upright; it sounded very good. No eq tweaking needed, it also felt like it is not so sensitive to feedback with the BP1 "in between".

The amp i use is the Genzler Magellan 350 combo with a BA10-3 cab

20230605_155937.thumb.jpg.cda8e6aaaa7a3bd4e81cec2a03e706b0.jpg

• Like 3

On 05/06/2023 at 11:41, spyder said:

Thank you.

I have a Sonic Farm 2di4 which I think is fantastic and was thinking of getting a Caveman to compliment it. 

Same here. 
Ive been running- bass into small board with SFX 2 band EQ, compressor, Sonic Farm, then power amp and speakers- lovely sound, with hardly any EQ. 

The Caveman has been on my radar, but unsure if to spend the money on something that might not make a lot of difference. 

The bass pre-amp rabbit hole you can go down is massive, if you had the funds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E sharp said:

Same here. 
Ive been running- bass into small board with SFX 2 band EQ, compressor, Sonic Farm, then power amp and speakers- lovely sound, with hardly any EQ. 

The Caveman has been on my radar, but unsure if to spend the money on something that might not make a lot of difference. 

The bass pre-amp rabbit hole you can go down is massive, if you had the funds

The Simone on here strikes me as the perfect combination of tube/transformer DI but with added eq and just a really solid pedigree. Noble meets Monique kinda thing. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Brucegill said:

How are you using this with an Amp - Straight into the front, or in the amps FX loop? thanks

My amps have no loops, so in front.

The output level compared to other preamps/DI is very high, but my amps can take that. (Genzler and Vanderkley Spartan...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the reason the DI output is so hot is because contrary to its name, the DI out is in fact +4 balanced Line Level, and not mic level as on DI boxes.

the terminology is a bit confusing especially as the forthcoming BC1 has an XLR labelled Line In (which is balanced +4 line level) and also , just like the the BP1 series, an XLR labelled DI Out - which again , is in fact a balanced +4 line level out.

not entirely sure why both the BP1 and BC1’s XLR outs aren’t simply labelled Line Out, because that’s what they are !

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am seriously looking the BP1 compact version of this, I was actually thinking of running another tone shaping preamp like the Goliath light in the effects loop along with the compressor - would that be overkill/unnecessary do you think? I’m not sure if I am looking at it wrong, or if it’s just the lack of EQ options scaring me 😆 

If you want a killer preamp and you want to spend some dough you have to consider the Simone preamp by Jule Amps. If you can find one

to demo you’ll appreciate the quality it brings and it’s versatility. 

Tubes, great eq, drive and boost. It’s a very complete package (but on fx loop) and I think it surpasses the Noble in terms of what it can do.

If it’s a Neve style preamp you’re after, something transformer based, then a Hudson Broadcast or JHS Colourbox v.2 would be a great option. Both do the preamp colour but the JHS has added eq options and transformers on both the di out and the 1/4” signal path. - you can hear what it does - but again no fx loop. I’m selling a Colourbox v.2 btw 😉 

Edited by krispn

On 21/10/2023 at 19:40, krispn said:

If you want a killer preamp and you want to spend some dough you have to consider the Simone preamp by Jule Amps. If you can find one

to demo you’ll appreciate the quality it brings and it’s versatility. 

For a killer preamp I would suggest something featuring a high voltage current transformer, then opening up said preamp while plugged in and then start groping the innards electronics until you hit jackpot.

If it's not yourself you are planning to kill though anything heavy enough with a good aim to the head of your victim should do.

:crazy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 21/10/2023 at 19:05, Paddy777 said:

I am seriously looking the BP1 compact version of this, I was actually thinking of running another tone shaping preamp like the Goliath light in the effects loop along with the compressor - would that be overkill/unnecessary do you think? I’m not sure if I am looking at it wrong, or if it’s just the lack of EQ options scaring me 😆 

The reason I didn't go for the Compact is that it cannot switch out the loop. You can surely add some flavour to your liking in the loop. The new compressor is NOT in the loop; it is post BP1. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bassmayhem said:

The reason I didn't go for the Compact is that it cannot switch out the loop. You can surely add some flavour to your liking in the loop. The new compressor is NOT in the loop; it is post BP1. 

Well I’ve taken the plunge and have a BC1 Compact coming tomorrow from Bass Direct - cannot wait!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...