Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congrats to @upside downer for a great win in May , and as if by magic we have got to June already :crazy:

So without further ado, here is a note to accompany the image ...

"These are troubling times. Let's all try to be a bit more like this happy, blissful soul."

image.png.9b67fadfc52727e5820b760ed9e32024.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, there wasn't a truce worth noting this month , and if there was, we probably missed it!

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline wise , we will go for midnight on the 24th which means you'll probably have till 9.00 on the 25th ...though I might be a bit later than that if I am away on the Saturday... Mrs Lurks has the diary !

A line or two of blurb as well for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Have fun 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is my contribution to the June 2023 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Upside Downer.
Wanted, to Buy: Adult Trampoline. Mine was very recently stolen; urgently required as I'm coming down very fast now.
One-take guitar tracks using my newly-acquired s/h Blackstar ID:Core 10 for the first time. Guitar is my trusty black sparkle Xavière. Fruit shakers, and a 'Purdie' drum sample, adjusted for tempo. Treatment..? Nah, not really, just the usual Cockos EQ and NY Bus compression (and a little delay on the drums...).
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 4

My contribution to the June edition of the Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by the picture chosen by last months winner, Upside Downer.

It was an interesting journey... It was going to be a chilled Bossa, then it was going to be a chilled bossa with a lo-fi triphop thing going on, then I found a little loop that I really dug and started messing around with, and the Bossa idea went out of the window. It ended up as a kinda sparse, kinda brief, lo-fi ditty about escaping the rat race and running to the sun.

Tech wise, everything is from within Cubase Elephants, except for the vocal, which is me, treated with CLA Vocals and a bit of Waves Harmony towards the end. I was going to put some DB on it, but I liked the sub part that I'd used so I left it. It is, however, so subby that it probably won't come out on laptop speakers.

• Like 3

Here's the thang wot I done!

I felt the pic needed summery discofunk with a housey piano and lots of funky clav. So instead I did this experimental piece based on Derek Bailey and Steve Lacey's freejazz improv classic, Company 4.

It features a vocal sample wot I found on the net, plus me through a vocoder plug-in. And me on bass, and me on lots of different keyboard sounds mainly from Iris 2 and BassStation. Drums mostly by EZ, with fills programmed by me.

All has been varnished and glittered with Ozone 9...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, fingers211 said:

This is NOT an entry !! (just as well I hear you cry.

This months picture reminded me of this  -- 8 years ago !!

Ha..! That month (July 2015...), it seems that I prepared eight compositions..! Here's one of them (no, of course it's not an entry for this month, either..!)...

Happy daze..!

Well here goes nothing...

Bit of an ambient feel as the subject matter is intriguing but also melancholic.

The singer and I met in a Crowded House tribute band (really) which fell apart during Covid. He and I started collaborating remotely and have continued ever since. The guitar solo was sent in from an ex-pat mate living in Texas.

Gives me a nice flex of my artistic side for when I'm not playing 'I Will Survive' and 'Hot Stuff' in a covers band.

• Like 3

Here's mine. A pretty little ditty with a feel good vibe to make you want to forget all your troubles, jump up, kick your heels in the air and enjoy the simple things in life.

MT Drums, HB Tele with some Vivlex echo pedal, a dash of double tracking and Westfield violin bass. Recorded using various bits of Ableton, Wavepad and Audacity.

• Like 2

OMG 

I ditched the middle , I shortened the start and the end , I then joined the end to the start.

somehow it created a new middle …..with glitches .

it will now be a chilled sprint , and I’ll roll it in glitter (post it a bit late ) and start the vote thread in the morning 

And here's my entry for this month, again only just in time...

It's been a long day, the beach party has been epic, and now with the last of the midsummer sunlight the DJ is chilling things down with some minimalist, ambient textures.

The tech stuff: Everything was done with Native Instruments Maschine 2 running standalone for producing the patterns and as a VSTi in Cubase 12 for arrangement. Glue reverb courtesy of Lexicon MPX Native, mastering with iZotope Ozone 8. Birdsong sample is from the BBC Sound Effects Library (free for non-commercial use).

• Like 2