Why become a member? ×

Amp/cab Reccommendations

How1

I’m looking for an amp/cab or combo that’ll do smallish gigs and a decent sized practice room - a one size fits all type of solution. Also something that I can also use at home at lowish volumes. I’ve been looking at the Trace Elf 200w head and the 2x8 cab. 

Has anybody got any experience with this particular setup or can suggest any alternatives? The more portable the better. I’m trying to narrow things down and not spend an eternity looking stuff up!

Edited by How1

If you'll be working with a drummer, you might need to move a bit more air than a 2x8 will. 2x10 gives you 50% more cone area (I know that's not all there is to it) than 2x8 and larger drivers are often more efficient, which means more output for a given amount of power in.

• Like 2

Yeah, I did wonder about the 8s. I’ve never used them before…but actually, no drummer at this stage. The beats are electronic. Which is something else I’m gonna have to think about amplification for. The last time I played live was with a drummer (every time actually).

Edited by How1
Sloppy typing!

1 hour ago, How1 said:

I’m looking for an amp/cab or combo that’ll do smallish gigs and a decent sized practice room - a one size fits anll type of solution.

IMO "One size fits all" is the right way to think about buying gear. All rigs can play quietly, so you are making decisions based on the loudest you're going to play. IMO separate amps and cabs are a better idea. Then you can up upgrade each part independently. 

Your 200 watt Elf is only 100 watts into 1 8 ohm cab, when it is flat out, and flat out probably won't sound too good. So you're realistically looking at using 50-80 watts. Is that loud enough? I'd say probably not. 

I play from very loud to a whisper. I have one rig that does it all,  a 700 watt amp and 2 112 cabs. That's 700 watts into 2 8 ohm cabs and 350 watts into 1 8 ohm cab. I want a clean sound so I don't run the amp with the master beyond 12 o'clock. Having more watts on tap than you need is never a problem, not having enough watts is always a big problem.

My suggestion would be to start looking at 500 watt amps and good 112 or 210 cabs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Your 200 watt Elf is only 100 watts into 1 8 ohm cab, when it is flat out, and flat out probably won't sound too good. So you're realistically looking at using 50-80 watts. Is that loud enough? I'd say probably not. 

I bought an Elf on a whim during one of the lockdowns but only actually got round to trying it last night at rehearsal. Flat out through a pair of BF One10s the tone was decent, but the power was disappointing - it wasn't even nearly loud enough. I know many on here have said they can gig with theirs, but sadly I certainly couldn't and it wouldn't even be a viable backup in an emergency.

I used to use a 1x12 combo for smallish gigs & playing at home. I think it was about 40w. Had no struggles, but no really low bass. 
A decent 2x10 combo or amp/cab ticks a lot of boxes. Can fill a decent sized room & perfectly useable at home. 
But then, my last rig was a 4x10 with a 200w valve amp. Weighed more than my house & had to be mic’d up if using through PA. No hood for practicing at home, unless the neighbours wanted to hear it too (this was more an issue with the amp rather than the cab). 

I’ve played through PJB combos & been rather surprised at what they can do with those 5” drivers. 

Now rigless & go through the PA (or the studio monitors at home). 

Edited by xgsjx

Hmmm, it definitely makes sense to have more headroom rather than not enough. I’ll have another look. I noticed a used Hartke amp the other day - 350w per channel. I might have another look at that.

There are plenty of people saying the Trace Elf was plenty loud enough, but I guess everything is subjective. I don’t wanna be buying and re-buying.

Edited by How1

25 minutes ago, How1 said:

There are plenty of people saying the Trace Elf was plenty loud enough, but I guess everything is subjective. I don’t wanna be buying and re-buying.

It's really best to try some gear before taking the plunge. Even if it means taking a day off work (if, for example, you are not near any shops that stock a good range of bass gear), it will be worth it to ensure you get the right thing. I did that last time I bought new gear. I lived in London, but went to Bass Direct (other shops exist...) on a weekday when they weren't busy and spent several hours trying and comparing things. As BD are located pretty much in the centre of the country, they are reachable from most places. I was able to take my time and make a good decision. 

22 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

If you'll be working with a drummer, you might need to move a bit more air than a 2x8 will. 2x10 gives you 50% more cone area (I know that's not all there is to it) than 2x8 and larger drivers are often more efficient, which means more output for a given amount of power in.

Fun fact. The Elf 2x8 drivers are long excursion and supposed to put out like regular 10 inchers.

Other fun fact. At a less than proper rowdy gig a 210 is enough ime.

For quite some time I ran a Markbass Tube 800 into a Barefaced Midget. I would imagine one of the newer Super Midgets with a 500W MB head would probably go a long way. I found my set up more than held its own for small gigs and coped well for onstage monitoring with PA support. Turned down it was nice for home practice and I could easily lift cab and head together to get them on and off stage. 

I have since moved to 2 1x15s and an Ampeg SVT 2 pro which is significantly harder to transport and not ideal for home practice 🤣

Surprised I'm apparently the first in this thread to recommend the Fender Rumble V3 stuff.

Both the 200 (1x15) and 500 (2x10) combos are IMO perfect for what you need. Sound great,

with excellent DI XLR output and speaker extension sockets if you find you ever need to add 

another cab (you won't, especially with the 500) and very portable, loud,  light and compact. 

A s/h 500 can be found for around £400/450 ish, new they're circa £629.