Why become a member? ×

Where to get good quality speaker cables?

Linus27

I've always got my cables from OBBM (Dave) here at Basschat but since he's stopped making them, I'm in need of a new cable. I'm after a decent Speakon to 1/4 Jack to connect my amp to my cab. I did buy one from Amazon which lasted about a week so I'm after something more reliable. I see Anderton sell them which might be fine but I'm after something that's going to be reliable and not fail on me.

Any recommendations?

12 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I've always got my cables from OBBM (Dave) here at Basschat but since he's stopped making them, I'm in need of a new cable. I'm after a decent Speakon to 1/4 Jack to connect my amp to my cab. I did buy one from Amazon which lasted about a week so I'm after something more reliable. I see Anderton sell them which might be fine but I'm after something that's going to be reliable and not fail on me.

Any recommendations?

I bought OBBM’s stock and have been making cables for BCers since David retired. Cable is Sommer Meridian 2.5mm, genuine Neutrik Speakons and Jacks. Let me know the length and I will give you a quote.  

4 hours ago, Rob Bisby said:

My advice is don't go with ones with a normal neutrik jack, I got one from designacable and it sounded farty

Neutrik jacks, even the ones used on instrument cables like the NP2X, will take a lot of current. The speaker jacks only have the ability to take a bigger diameter cable. It depends on the current rating of the socket. With a decent socket, they are good for hundreds of watts.  I have never heard of a connector sounding farty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Neutrik jacks, even the ones used on instrument cables like the NP2X, will take a lot of current. The speaker jacks only have the ability to take a bigger diameter cable. It depends on the current rating of the socket. With a decent socket, they are good for hundreds of watts.  I have never heard of a connector sounding farty.

Aren't these ones supposed to be used for speaker cables?

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/np2xl

Edited by Rob Bisby
  • Like 1

We shouldn't really be using 1/4" jacks for amps over 100W.

Neutrik jacks are only rated for 50V or less and the sockets are rated at 3A.

100W into 8R      = 3.5A  28V
100W into 16R     = 2.5A  40V

150W into 8R     = 4.3A 35V
150W into 16R     = 3A   49V

200W into 8R     = 5A   40V
200W into 16R     = 3.5A 56V

So it's easy to exceed volts or current ratings. They may/will still work but they're not really rated for it.

Speakons are, in every way, superior.

30A per contact  240V max

• Like 1

I have just made @linus27 some cables and am about to send them. I have always said that the cable does not matter for speakers and I have used mains cable before. I still believe that 

for  HiFi but I made these from my new reel of Sommer Meridian Mobile.

Compared to most other speaker cables, the Meridian Mobile has many more strands, almost twice as many as any other make, and a lower resistance.

However, the main thing I like with this cable is that yes it’s tough but it’s also very flexible. It feels like a quality product, especially once the cable is made up. So I won’t be changing my hi-fi cables any time soon but will only be using Meridian Mobile Cable for new builds.

IMG_6351.thumb.jpeg.8ce3d36bd67080ea604f0a3601471961.jpeg

• Like 3

Make your own. If you're using Speakons (which you should be - Bigguy2017 is correct above), you don't even need to be able to solder. If you can strip insulation with a sharp blade and use a screwdriver, you're good to go and you'll save yourself some cash.

On 27/05/2023 at 18:21, Dan Dare said:

Make your own. If you're using Speakons (which you should be - Bigguy2017 is correct above), you don't even need to be able to solder. If you can strip insulation with a sharp blade and use a screwdriver, you're good to go and you'll save yourself some cash.

I'm with you - I made some new speakon (by far the better connector) cables recently and it was super easy. Nice to be able to fettle the length yourself and get them exactly how you want them. 

This guy's video was very helpful... 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2023 at 18:21, Dan Dare said:

Yes, that works, but these cables involved Jacks and soldering a heavy-duty speaker cable to a jack plug takes a heavy-duty soldering iron.

I also agree that SpeakONs are the way to go, but if your amp or cab only has jacks, you have no choice.

2 hours ago, ukbassboy said:

Well, there's one choice, get a better amp... 

The best amp I ever had didn't have Speakons and my current amp of choice doesn't have Speakon's.

Edited by Linus27
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

After issues with my Gear 4 Music unbranded speakon cable at the weekend I'm doing the sensible thing and sorting one with Neutrik connectors. But, do I need 4mm or 2.5mm cable? Its a MB CMD 121 combo running into a MB 121 extension cab - so max 500w at 4 ohms. I'm assuming thicker is better?

Edited by SuperSeagull

1 hour ago, SuperSeagull said:

After issues with my Gear 4 Music unbranded speakon cable at the weekend I'm doing the sensible thing and sorting one with Neutrik connectors. But, do I need 4mm or 2.5mm cable? Its a MB CMD 121 combo running into a MB 121 extension cab - so max 500w at 4 ohms. I'm assuming thicker is better?

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case? I seem to remember my tech guy saying that for bass amp use

that the smaller cable diameter you mention is adequate. I believe the bigger stuff is mainly for high

power PA stuff. Happy for someone with more evidence / knowledge to prove me wrong though 😊

• Like 1

all my speaker cables are 4mm sq, but only because that was what OBBM offered as standard for bass, I usually make my own instrument cables (still working my way through a reel of Klotz AC110) but when it came to speaker cables i went with OBBM as he had the speaker cable in stock and it wasn't as easy to get in the shorter lengths i needed, also when it comes to the jack plugs (required for my Trace GP11) I didn't fancy soldering those big Neutrik plugs on with my little 25w iron.

Matt