Why become a member? ×

I'm not one for buying bass gear all the time. I've pretty much accrued everything that I need. But every now and then someone brings out a new piece of kit that catches my eye. In this case it was the new Ampeg SGT-DI pedal. 

I've always wanted to have an old-school Ampeg amp and cabs but I just haven't got the room to store them and my osteopath bill would likely go up after carrying that weight to a few gigs! So when this new Ampeg pedal was released, I jumped at the chance to try out.

This latest offering from Ampeg is a preamp pedal with EQ, cab simulation, grit and of course it contains the classic SVT and B-15 tones.

Find out what I think of the pedal and whether it ticks all the right boxes in my latest YouTube video review. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the review Greg. I held off getting one of these at the time of release pending some reviews but put in a pre-order last weekend so look forward to it turning up on over the next few weeks/months.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2023 at 17:28, CJPJ said:

Thanks for the review Greg. I held off getting one of these at the time of release pending some reviews but put in a pre-order last weekend so look forward to it turning up on over the next few weeks/months.

No worries, glad it was helpful and enjoy your pedal when it turns up! 

• Like 2

Those who have bought one of these, any more thoughts on it, is is as good as the reviews say? I'm seriously considering one but it's a lot at £370 but does sound great in the reviews.

Also, where would this come in the pedal chain. At the moment I run bass into tuner, octave, chorus, reverb and then amp. Would I put it after the tuner or at end the end of the chain?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Also, where would this come in the pedal chain. At the moment I run bass into tuner, octave, chorus, reverb and then amp. Would I put it after the tuner or at end the end of the chain?

I'd use it like an amp and put it at the end of the signal chain. However, if using just as a dirt box, convention dictates that it be at the front. FWIW, personally, I shove 2 fingers up to that and put my VTDI (only used for a little grind, occasionally) at the end of the FX chain, just before the amp, so I can have everything going out of the DI, if required. In short, put it where you want, it's your sound.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

I'd use it like an amp and put it at the end of the signal chain. However, if using just as a dirt box, convention dictates that it be at the front. FWIW, personally, I shove 2 fingers up to that and put my VTDI (only used for a little grind, occasionally) at the end of the FX chain, just before the amp, so I can have everything going out of the DI, if required. In short, put it where you want, it's your sound.

Agreed. I always put pre-amp pedals at the end of the chain so I can DI everything like you said. 

• Like 1

On 14/05/2023 at 00:14, greghagger said:

I'm not one for buying bass gear all the time. I've pretty much accrued everything that I need. But every now and then someone brings out a new piece of kit that catches my eye. In this case it was the new Ampeg SGT-DI pedal. 

I've always wanted to have an old-school Ampeg amp and cabs but I just haven't got the room to store them and my osteopath bill would likely go up after carrying that weight to a few gigs! So when this new Ampeg pedal was released, I jumped at the chance to try out.

This latest offering from Ampeg is a preamp pedal with EQ, cab simulation, grit and of course it contains the classic SVT and B-15 tones.

Find out what I think of the pedal and whether it ticks all the right boxes in my latest YouTube video review. 

Greg have you tried it in front of your Tonehammer amp ? 
If so was it a good match ? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, greghagger said:

I should try and get commission from Ampeg! 😂 Enjoy! 

I had the older SCR-DI pedal which was nice although the scrambler drive wasn’t great. 
Having recently tried an EQ pedal and compressor ( very mild setting ) in front of my TH700 I thought this would take their place. 
In fact three pedals as I would take my Spark Booster off too and just use the SGT and tuner pedal and run it into the TH700 input for extra tone and sounds ( rock ) 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

Mine arrived today, complete with power supply in the box. 
Quick test in front of my TH700 amp and it’s nice that it doesn’t tone suck when off, good ..

Preamp on and it sounds very nice and compressor works well enough to use (  a bit like the comp on PF amps ) 

Ultra low and Ultra high add a nice EQ change and the SGT is very very nice in both SVT or B15 mode.

I think they have done a good job with this pedal and first impressions are it’s better sounding than the SCR-DI 

Top price but I think it’s worth it, you could gig with this straight into the PA or use it like me in front of amp for extended EQ and compressor duties with drive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Mine arrived today, complete with power supply in the box. 
Quick test in front of my TH700 amp and it’s nice that it doesn’t tone suck when off, good ..

Preamp on and it sounds very nice and compressor works well enough to use (  a bit like the comp on PF amps ) 

Ultra low and Ultra high add a nice EQ change and the SGT is very very nice in both SVT or B15 mode.

I think they have done a good job with this pedal and first impressions are it’s better sounding than the SCR-DI 

Top price but I think it’s worth it, you could gig with this straight into the PA or use it like me in front of amp for extended EQ and compressor duties with drive 

I tried it straight into the PA at a loud gig in a Symphony Hall last Friday and it sounded great! Works great that way. Yet to try it at a gig in front of my amp. 

Well … spent more time on it and into my amp it’s bloody amazing and brings an added dimension to the sound. 

The SGT sound is the best I’ve heard for warm drive while retaining the low end. The choice of SVT or B15 is very good, SVT is a bit more gnarly and the B15 rounded and warm.

A thing I discovered ( doesn’t affect me as this is the only pedal I will use ) that if you go into a TC Polytune tuner and link to the pwr input of the SGT you can hear a very quiet “ digital whine” Connected direct its silent 

I also at the start was confusing the SGT drive knob and the SGT level knob !! It sounded good but the correct use it was amazing.

I ran my amp flat and used the SGT for EQ which nearly flat sounds good.

The mid position Ultra Low and Ultra High on were used and sounded perfect. 

Highly recommended 

• Like 2