Why become a member? ×

All the gear and no idea....

roblpm

34 minutes ago, roblpm said:

I definitely wasn't trying to say I am better than anyone else! I was implying I am worse.... Gear much better than my ability....!

My apologies 

don’t sweat it, if you can afford it and it brings you joy there’s far worse things to spend money on, and better gear can often be sold if you ever did find that it didn’t bring you joy or you needed the money.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

My apologies 

don’t sweat it, if you can afford it and it brings you joy there’s far worse things to spend money on, and better gear can often be sold if you ever did find that it didn’t bring you joy or you needed the money.

Yes actually I have a US jazz bass that I bought second hand that amazingly might be worth the same or more than when I bought it.

Better than some of my other hobbies.....!!

12 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Get him into bass gear, then buy it off him for a song when he gets fed up with it... 👍

So after you play the song, do you then sell it back to him at profit? Sounds like you've hit on the perfect money-making ruse. Rodger (oo-er!) the Dodger would be proud of you.

IMG_2287.jpeg

• Haha 1

After picking up a bass for the first time ever (never played any other instrument either) that I borrowed I went and bought a brand new Fender Precision then a week later a really nice GK amp. 
I figured buying some nice gear would make me want to practise and it worked, I love my P-bass and I get excited every time I pick it up (although I suck playing it) and the nice powerful amp sounds awesome turned up. Makes me excited to just play one note! 
In every hobby there’s people that spend a lot of money on their first set of gear, some stick with it, some don’t. 

One important consideration is that different hobbies or skills have different costs and to be honest I think playing the bass is relatively cheap so you may get more people getting nice gear to start off with. It’s all relative. I have ridden MTB bikes for pretty much 30 years and I sold half of a bike to buy my Precision. I would have not hesitated to spend £2k on a mountain bike so £700 on my first bass didn’t seem so bad and I figured if I looked after it I’d get a lot of my money back if I got a Fender (and that’s what I wanted after demoing them - wow that can be a bit embarrassing when you can’t play anything!). 
I’ve been looking at a bigger amp and found a nice GK setup on eBay which is £650 - I’ve spent that in the past on a set of forks for my bike! I don’t need it but wow I’m tempted! (Need to pay gas bill first though 😂😂)

I reckon most people don’t mind people who have all the gear and have no idea as long as they are honest with it. Every bass player I have met has been more than nice to me and helped me along. It’s the people who have all the gear and think they have an idea, or think that expensive kit someone makes them more important. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

After picking up a bass for the first time ever (never played any other instrument either) that I borrowed I went and bought a brand new Fender Precision then a week later a really nice GK amp. 
I figured buying some nice gear would make me want to practise and it worked, I love my P-bass and I get excited every time I pick it up (although I suck playing it) and the nice powerful amp sounds awesome turned up. Makes me excited to just play one note! 
In every hobby there’s people that spend a lot of money on their first set of gear, some stick with it, some don’t. 

One important consideration is that different hobbies or skills have different costs and to be honest I think playing the bass is relatively cheap so you may get more people getting nice gear to start off with. It’s all relative. I have ridden MTB bikes for pretty much 30 years and I sold half of a bike to buy my Precision. I would have not hesitated to spend £2k on a mountain bike so £700 on my first bass didn’t seem so bad and I figured if I looked after it I’d get a lot of my money back if I got a Fender (and that’s what I wanted after demoing them - wow that can be a bit embarrassing when you can’t play anything!). 
I’ve been looking at a bigger amp and found a nice GK setup on eBay which is £650 - I’ve spent that in the past on a set of forks for my bike! I don’t need it but wow I’m tempted! (Need to pay gas bill first though 😂😂)

I reckon most people don’t mind people who have all the gear and have no idea as long as they are honest with it. Every bass player I have met has been more than nice to me and helped me along. It’s the people who have all the gear and think they have an idea, or think that expensive kit someone makes them more important. 

Well said you. Sounds like you're a happy bunny. Go for it!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I figured buying some nice gear would make me want to practise and it worked,

Yes, I'm the same. I bought my first expensive/proper/decent bass (a brand new Sterling HH) a couple of years ago, having made do with cheap 2nd hand basses until then. There was nothing wrong with them, but the Sterling was the only one that made me want to be a better bassist. I felt I had to justify the purchase and I think I have. I feel I've improved as a bass player more in the last two years than in the time before. It may be co-incidence, but I still get a thrill when I pick up the Sterling and on the days when I don't want to practice, that thrill is a great motivator.  

• Like 1

I find this quote inspirational on many levels - it has helped me when I have been struggling with my bass playing too.

image.png.93461a8c243173241d226dde87b732b5.png

Another inspirational quote I find, and I was tempted to add it to some of the posts above to help novices.

"YET!!"

10 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

It’s all relative. I have ridden MTB bikes for pretty much 30 years and I sold half of a bike to buy my Precision. I would have not hesitated to spend £2k on a mountain bike so £700 on my first bass didn’t seem so bad and I figured if I looked after it I’d get a lot of my money back if I got a Fender

I guess the point is; would you have suggested someone completely new to mountain biking spent £2k on a new bike? 

With a Fender, there's a liklihood that if you kept it long enough it might appreciate. But new basses and Amps generally lose money as soon as they leave the shop.

There's plenty of intermediate level gear that would keep most beginners going for a while. And certainly with basses you'd be better off with a beginner model until you work out the nuances and learn what you like. But I guess there's enough people here who seem to change basses every few weeks. 😆

11 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

If it brings you pleasure then don’t worry what people think. As you say playing an instrument is a pretty cheap hobby. If you play that thing for 70 hours then get bored let’s face it in this day and age how much is there available to do in terms of leisure activities for £10 an hour? Pub, cinema, coffees out?

Even if you gave it away it’s better than frittering your cash away on the above.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, TimR said:

I guess the point is; would you have suggested someone completely new to mountain biking spent £2k on a new bike? 

With a Fender, there's a liklihood that if you kept it long enough it might appreciate. But new basses and Amps generally lose money as soon as they leave the shop.

There's plenty of intermediate level gear that would keep most beginners going for a while. And certainly with basses you'd be better off with a beginner model until you work out the nuances and learn what you like. But I guess there's enough people here who seem to change basses every few weeks. 😆

Duude.... Playing the bass while riding a bike.... 

16 hours ago, TimR said:

To be honest if they had the money easily available I would say yes, but maybe steer them towards a slightly cheaper bike and the rest of the money on clothes and accessories. £2k isn’t expensive at all in bike land anymore. 

• Like 1

Cheap gear? Indo made gear is now £1k! 

I have a friend who learned on what can be described as a cricket bat with cheese wire as he didn't want to spend any money and it was a loan, he has recently picked up a £200 quid Ibanez bass which suits him fine. They are not bad basses overall!

Hhighly quality produced equipment will always be  nicer to play ( my DP for example ), however even a pro set up on less expensive models can produce similar results without breaking the bank. Prices ATM are too expensive to do any mod's as you may as well go for the real thing as save the hassle if you go down some rabbit holes. Comparisons are key IMO. A Fender Mex Jazz Body which a Squire made neck would be a personal choice just from feel and tone. - Odd I know. 

I don't do the snobbery aspects of gear on headstock but I have my own limits on what I would purchase or not purchase - the primary being the neck radius and playability. - And I have Yamaha's RBXA2/A5 as well / Musicman China Sub that recently caught on fire from a short, but its great to play on. 

Buying a bass is a very ethical choice - they last indefinitely and all the components are either recyclable or compostable.

They are also a very sensible investment. If you buy a good bass secondhand you can generally sell it for what you paid for it or a bit more, so the total cost of your ownership would be zero.

The equation for pleasure per pound would be:

Hours of pleasure per year / annual cost of ownership.

If you get it out and noodle for ten minutes a day, that looks like this:

50 / 0 = infinity

A bass can therefore provide infinite fun per pound. As a finance manager I can assure you that that represents excellent value.

There has probably been enough instruments constructed over the last 60 years to keep the world of music going for years to come. There is no reason to produce new instruments in any quantity. 

We, basschatters, should lead from the front, set a good example and only buy used equipment.

Now you're saying to yourself "that makes sense - that's basically what I've been doing for the past 10/20/30 years". 

Let others take the first financial "knock" - let them lose 20% of the instruments value and let it be us who snaffles those bargains from ebay/ Gumtree/ the BC marketplace.

We can be Environmental Heroes and have a good time doing that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1