Why become a member? ×

Are we being discriminated against .

Ralf1e

3 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I've had two or three people on acoustic instruments (no drums, no amps) in stone built tenement flats, no later than early evening without any complaints, but I feel like that wouldn't work in my current flat.

I've done something similar, and although we were using amps, we kept the volume way down. No drums and our singer didn't need a mic - she could cut it in opera if she wanted to. Hard stop at 9pm.

We're surrounded by Airbnbs, so I'm not too fussed about annoying sodding tourists. If we ever have long-term neighbours again though, I'll be sure to let them know what's happening. Seems only fair.

Edited by lozkerr

New slant on antisocial behaviour

Building blocks of flats separated by little more than plasterboard walls.

Building huge swathes of semi detatched timber framed houses that are effectively no more than glorified sheds sold at inflated house prices.

Granting planning permission on greenbelt land for the above moral crimes

Artificially inflated house prices caused by the withholding of planning permission to private individuals who don't have the required hand shake.

Trying to ridicule or troll people who expose the corruption of your establishment masters.

We are fortunate enough to live in a semi bungalow built in the days when sheds were sheds and dwellings were built of nice solid bricks. Very little sound gets through our walls especially if our internal doors are closed.

I feel for the peple living in the above who have to endure the neighbours snoring let alone having a late night shag.

Who caused the noise problems? The bodies that built the badly thought out properties in the first place.

One final thought.

My mother and stepdad had a nice detached cottage in Dorset next to a farm. One of the neighbours passed away and his cottage was bought by an idiot that having moved across the road from a farm complained about the cows mooing.

He also tried to steal a great swathe of thier garden by tearing our thier hedge and building a fence 10ft inside their boundry line while they were away on holiday.

They had to use the legal system to get it back.

Rant over. As you were.

• Like 4

Another entitled musician that thinks the world owes them a living.

If you live in a property away from others where practice doesn't impact others at all, great. If you dont and you can modify your room, or instrument (e.g. use your bass unamped), great. If you can come to an agreement with your neighbours about when noise is made, again, great. 

If you don't live in a property where you can make adaptions or can't come to an agreement with your neighbours, go and find somewhere else to practice. If it's your job as you say, you can even claim that back on your already comical tax return.

It's absolutely not up to your neighbours to live in misery because of your antisocial behaviour.

I'm all for supporting music but I'm also in the game of thinking that p1ssing off people (especially knowingly) is not acceptable either.

I’d like to live in a mansion away from people so I can make as much noise as I want at any hour - but I can’t as I can’t afford to. The world isn’t perfect so suck it up and put yourself out to make it work the best you can. Why does everybody think that their convenience should be at the expense of others?

If she can’t make this work, her job as a musician isn’t viable.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 5

On 15/05/2023 at 18:15, OliverBlackman said:

If the noise is sufficient to keep people awake in the early hours, that isn’t reasonable no matter where you live (with the exception of student halls). If you want to make noise that late, go to somewhere with a license to be that noisy.

I wasn't being entirely serious, in case you hadn't realised. Didn't the fact that I moaned about the birds singing give you a clue?

However, expecting or worse, demanding, absolute silence is not realistic or reasonable, unless one lives on a remote island. Sure, playing loud music late at night or at the crack of dawn is selfish and unreasonable, but most people are aware of that.

On 15/05/2023 at 16:25, TimR said:

I can't belive anyone would consider a group practice in a 1st floor flat, acceptable

Absolutely, although I did it once to get back at a downstairs neighbour. She insisted on playing loud music at 6 am every day whilst she did her aerobics. I asked her to wear earbuds to listen to it and she told me to eff orf. So I invited the lads round (having warned the other neighbours, who were also fed up with her) for a "rehearsal" one evening. We had a couple of Fender Twins, full kit and my old Trace rig giving it large in my large lounge. Didn't half make the windows rattle. She was banging on the door and screaming. Hilarious. She agreed to be more reasonable after that.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I wasn't being entirely serious, in case you hadn't realised. Didn't the fact that I moaned about the birds singing give you a clue?

However, expecting or worse, demanding, absolute silence is not realistic or reasonable, unless one lives on a remote island. Sure, playing loud music late at night or at the crack of dawn is selfish and unreasonable, but most people are aware of that.

Absolutely, although I did it once to get back at a downstairs neighbour. She insisted on playing loud music at 6 am every day whilst she did her aerobics. I asked her to wear earbuds to listen to it and she told me to eff orf. So I invited the lads round (having warned the other neighbours, who were also fed up with her) for a "rehearsal" one evening. We had a couple of Fender Twins, full kit and my old Trace rig giving it large in my large lounge. Didn't half make the windows rattle. She was banging on the door and screaming. Hilarious. She agreed to be more reasonable after that.

Speaking softly didn't work so you figuratively bashed her skull in with your big stick. Life is so fair sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/05/2023 at 10:57, EBS_freak said:

Another entitled musician that thinks the world owes them a living.

If you live in a property away from others where practice doesn't impact others at all, great. If you dont and you can modify your room, or instrument (e.g. use your bass unamped), great. If you can come to an agreement with your neighbours about when noise is made, again, great. 

If you don't live in a property where you can make adaptions or can't come to an agreement with your neighbours, go and find somewhere else to practice. If it's your job as you say, you can even claim that back on your already comical tax return.

It's absolutely not up to your neighbours to live in misery because of your antisocial behaviour.

I'm all for supporting music but I'm also in the game of thinking that p1ssing off people (especially knowingly) is not acceptable either.

I’d like to live in a mansion away from people so I can make as much noise as I want at any blur - but I can’t as I can’t afford to. The world isn’t perfect so suck it up and put yourself out to make it work the best you can. Why does everybody think that their convienieince as the expense of others?

If she can’t make this work, her job as a musician isn’t viable.

I think you're exaggerating the nuisance that she caused to her neighbour. Still, never mind, have a good hack at your straw man.

I have worked with enough musicians to know that the position I propose is far from straw man. But you know, you are welcome to your opinion, as I am mine.

Must admit, I'm not quite sure which point(s) you think aren't reasonable assertions.

Just watched. Something about this just doesn't add up.

Of course, if she goes on tele, she's going to be playing an acoustic guitar, very softly.

This however -

xXuvhjJnVZSCivr-800x450-noPad.jpg?168358

Looks like this thing could sound like a right racket.

Edited by EBS_freak

Apologize to all. |She is obviously exploiting it for her Demonic band

She is obviously playing the victim as they do to get publicity

If your a pro you are a pro or not or maybe you are as the case may be.

Edited by Ralf1e

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

I have worked with enough musicians to know that the position I propose is far from straw man. But you know, you are welcome to your opinion, as I am mine.

Must admit, I'm not quite sure which point(s) you think aren't reasonable assertions.

The general thrust is reasonable. However, you appear to be extrapolating the nuisance aspect to encompass this woman's situation (as your first sentence makes abundantly clear).

35 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Just watched. Something about this just doesn't add up.

Of course, if she goes on tele, she's going to be playing an acoustic guitar, very softly.

This however -

xXuvhjJnVZSCivr-800x450-noPad.jpg?168358

Looks thing looks like it could sound like a right racket.

Of course, you could always do some minimal research into how it sounds rather than judging by its looks. AIUI, that is a low whistle:

19 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Of course, you could always do some minimal research into how it sounds rather than judging by its looks. AIUI, that is a low whistle:

Having done a fair few folk gigs, I know exactly what a low whistle sounds like (she even name checked in in the petition)... an annoying recorder... and I suspect the real culprit. I note it was left out of the Beeb piece. Just imagine 1:50-2:29 for hours on end.

Something about the whole debacle does not make sense. I see she has put up a few conversations with the council on her Youtube channel. Of course, totally pointless as they aren't exactly impartial.

Edited by EBS_freak

On 15/05/2023 at 19:25, TimR said:

Matey boy has his music on again. I think it's probably more that it's that dreary winey Oasis. How many times can you listen to one album? 

Please make it stop, it's awful. 

I'm off to band practice...

Tim you listen to songs over and over when you have a broken heart or other issues in your life. It is the way of things.

Edited by Ralf1e

20 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Tim you listen to songs over and over when you have a broken heart or other issues in your life. It is the way of things.

A flat I lived in, in the 80s, had a bloke downstairs who used to play "sexual healing"  over and over at 2am, not quite sure what he was trying to achieve 😁

46 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

A flat I lived in, in the 80s, had a bloke downstairs who used to play "sexual healing"  over and over at 2am, not quite sure what he was trying to achieve 😁

Take the hint! He was hot just like an oven, wanting some Waddo lovin.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

You are quite right. I should cut the guy some slack. I have no idea of whatever horrific tragedy has led him to his little one bed flat with idyllic views over the countryside in a quiet village. 

However, Oasis? It must have been horrific. And just shut the window!

10 minutes ago, TimR said:

You are quite right. I should cut the guy some slack. I have no idea of whatever horrific tragedy has led him to his little one bed flat with idyllic views over the countryside in a quiet village. 

However, Oasis? It must have been horrific. And just shut the window!

I'm thinking of setting up a service for people who suffer as you do. For a modest fee, I'll pop round with my 3KW PA and an old CD my daughter used to love when she was a nipper. It includes such gems as The Laughing Policeman, The Runaway Train, The Wheels on the Bus and many other delights. For a very modest fee (little more than a few beers plus my petrol), I shall serenade your annoying neighbours until they beg for mercy or at least agree to behave. Think it might work as a business venture?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I'm thinking of setting up a service for people who suffer as you do. For a modest fee, I'll pop round with my 3KW PA and an old CD my daughter used to love when she was a nipper. It includes such gems as The Laughing Policeman, The Runaway Train, The Wheels on the Bus and many other delights. For a very modest fee (little more than a few beers plus my petrol), I shall serenade your annoying neighbours until they beg for mercy or at least agree to behave. Think it might work as a business venture?

That's an excellent idea in fact, it wouldn't even need to be revenge based, as long as the customer is paying just annoy anyone... Do you want a half hour irritation, or the full 6 hours sir? 

Could call it   Annoying C**ts. Com  👍

• Haha 1