Why become a member? ×

Nikki Sixx - strings.

Just flicking through Instagram and saw Nikki Sixx is now endorsing SIT strings with his custom set gauge coming in at 55-115.  He's actually replied to one poster questioning the gauge saying the band tune down a full tone live.  (Let's not let this thread deteriorate into claims about whether they're using tapes live.)

I tend to favour lighter strings and I'm pretty sure I've used 5-string sets where the low-B is only 120 (so 40/60/80/100/120) and never really experienced flappy strings when I was tuned up.  I can't work out in my what's going on here; these gauges are closer to what you'd use tuning B-G.

If a 120 works for a B how can a 115 work for D-tuning?

Screenshot_20230507_081551_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1e71ee902ea69ffeaa014c8a2f45e1a4.jpg

I used to use 50-110 for standard E tuning so I’m sure they’ll be ok. The Sixxster isn’t known for flashy all over the place basslines anyway so he’s probably not that worried about tension.

• Like 2

I use a D’addario 120-50 set for D standard and drop C. The low D is no different in tension to a 110 tuned to E. Gives a tight low D.

Personally I find a 115 gauge fine for D but too light for anything below that. However I find a 55 and 75 too tight for the F and C strings for my personal tastes.

Edit: I also don’t use anything less than 130 gauge for a low B so I suppose it comes down to personal taste.

Edited by thodrik

I've used 14-59 strings on acoustic guitars, although normally I favour 12-53.

The obvious difference is that they are much higher tension than the 9s or 10s you usually  find on electric skinny stringers. It's difficult to do string bends, even more so than on a bass.

I've never done anything that could be described as a scientific test but my perception of heavy gauge strings on an acoustic is that they are 'punchier' and also louder, but the real benefit for me personally.is that the higher tension makes the more complex barre chords a bit easier because the strings don't bend out of pitch as easily.

None of which is an obvious benefit to an electric bass guitar,even one downtuned a tone.

Maybe Mr Sixx decided he needed as unique USP for his strings?

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I used to use 50-110 for standard E tuning so I’m sure they’ll be ok. The Sixxster isn’t known for flashy all over the place basslines anyway so he’s probably not that worried about tension.

I still do use 50-110 strings and tune to E. I play with a pick and am rather heavy-handed so it works for me. I’ve tried using lighter strings and I just can’t get on with them.

In fact, for a good while (until they were discontinued) I was using the Dean Markley Nikki Sixx strings, which were 50-110.

I believe he’s recently switched from Gibson to Schecter basses so maybe the heavier gauge suits the Schecters more?