Why become a member? ×

Squier Rascal bass anyone?

Marvin

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I assume 17mm, as it seems to have a Mustang Bass bridge (which is 17mm string spacing), and the body is a Bass VI one, which would suggest a more narrow, guitar wide, neck heel/pocket, rather than a standard bass one. 

Mind though that I do not know this for a fact, but it does seem very plausible to me.

In a word… No 😀

13 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So it's standard 19mm string spacing?

Or is there a reason why this should remain a secret to the person who asked?

I was just having a bit of fun. He asked if anyone knew the spacing and after your answer we’re still no wiser. It would have been quicker to do a google search (which I have done but didn’t fine out any more info) than type out that initial reply.

Its not a secret and I’m sure it’s documented online somewhere…

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally played one of these rascals today. Initially the guy plugged me into a Terror Bass head and 112 cab. I’ve never used one but know that they’re quite dark and the eq didn’t do much. Told the guy it sounded dark but felt it might be the amp and he found a Rumble 25w which sounded way better. 

Anyway the bass felt good and sounded good. It didn’t come with an info card so I’ve still no idea of the string spacing but it was fun to play. The pick ups sounded great and reacted well to boosting some mids and playing with the tone control. Each position had its value but both on seemed to be my immediate preference. 

There’s versatility in this wee bass and I might go back with my pedal board next week and give it another play. I really want to try it while wearing a strap - the position of the bridge while closer than I prefer doesn’t require a massive adjustment. 

Overall a nice bass and worth the money I’d say. 

• Like 2

Been playing mine quite a bit for the last couple of weeks. So far i think it sounds best with my SVT-CL and VBA400 rigs. The extra headroom and heft from the tubes really make those pickups sing.

Takes a bit to dial in some different tones but it absolutely nails the Thunderbird sound. I've ab'd with my Tbird Studio IV and can get it pretty much identical to that.

Pretty darn happy with it so far. Sits really well on a strap too.

Will take it round to the rehearsal room this week and try it out with the DG AO900 and 8x10 cab there and see how it handles OD/Fuzz.

Still haven't sussed a case yet though. It's a massive body and wont fit anything bar one of my older G&G Fender cases.

I’m taking my pedalboard to the shop next week to try it again. I’m 60% convinced and I know the pedals I have will easily accommodate the rascal. The strap test and how it feels with that bridge will help decide. I like everything about it though. Different enough but familiar at the same time. 

Hi - bit of a longshot, but I have a black Rascal & wondered if there are any owners of a pink one out there who fancy swapping their tort scratchplate for my white pearl one? Found a mock-up on Talkbass & it looks pretty good!

IMG_2024copy22.png.53ae6a87a08a4e914a9bd20cb858fa60.pngIf you fancy a swap give me a shout... 🤞

Edited by benebass
Added pic

• 1 month later...

Hi - I contacted an eBay seller called earlpilanz who said he could clone a plate if I sent the original one to them. Never pushed the button at the time, but had a couple of plates off him before & they were great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, punkthunk said:

Cloning ? Is it cheap 🤔😅

earlpilanz (Brian) on eBay is about £30 for a custom pickguard, but it varies depending on size. Send him your pickguard, he'll trace it and CNC it, and send them both back to you. You'll probably have them both back in a week.

• Like 1

Thanks, it's on the back burner as a Jazzmaster I shipped before Xmas got water damaged, was double boxed, taped seams etc, but got stuck in the parcelforce depot for a few extra days, buyer said bridge pick up is fried so I'm down £150 partial refund

Note to shippers, parcel force 48 requires all guitars ship in a sealed hard case, if not any insurance claim you make will be invalid, lesson learnt I guess...