Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky MV4HJP

Beedster

Well I gave it my best shot but it ain't working out. I think the band like the sound but I much prefer passive and although the neck is lovely it's just not the right finish or shape for me. Bought new in March this year so it's immaculate. Model number MV4HPJ, blonde finish, nicely figured (extremely) lightweight swamp ash body, maple board, jazz profile neck, tort guard, Sadowsky P and J pickups, Sadowsky 2 band pre amp with vintage tone control. Sadowsky ultralight case included. I don't need to say anything about the Sadowsky sound or build, so I won't :)

I need a fretted bass for several songs but the only bass that's working for me sound- and playability-wise at the moment is my '73 fretless Jazz. So, I'll trade the Sadowsky for either a '70s fretted Jazz (the heavier the better TBH) or a bloody good contemporary version of :rolleyes: EUBs also considered.

Only pics I could take tonight were on my phone so apologies for the crapness :D

Chris

[attachment=24567:Sad1.JPG][attachment=24558:Sad6.JPG][attachment=24570:Sad7.JPG]
[attachment=24568:Sad3.JPG][attachment=24565:Sad2.JPG][attachment=24569:Sad4.JPG]

Edited by Beedster

Hi Chris - good luck with the sale. Looks stunning - if it was rosewood I might have been interested. FYI, I have a Joe Osborne Jazz with J-retro for sale - it's the Dude Pit Limited Edition one, if you're at all interested. I guess it's more 60s then 70s but just thought I'd mention it!

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='475677' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:38 AM']damn.. That is amazing... I think im in love :) haha. But... Im skint, and ive never had that much money before lol.

good luck with the sale Chris!

Z
x
:rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks Zoe, you'll have enough cash one day, and when you do, like me, you'll probbaly not be able to make your mind up which bass you want either :D

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='475690' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:26 AM']I love the colour Chris - shame it didn't work out for you mate. If anyone is looking to buy this but would prefer a sunburst / maple / mint pg, they can have mine and I'll have this ;)[/quote]

Thanks Alan, you never know, it could end up at yours!

[quote name='Clarky' post='475704' date='Apr 30 2009, 08:16 AM']Blimey thats nice-looking Chris

Don't suppose my 2009 Jazz plus your old Markbass 104HR cab would be of interest? No? Thought not ;)
[attachment=24571:post_294...49_thumb.jpg]

Good luck, Clarky[/quote]

Too many Markbass cabs at mine as it is mate :lol:

[quote name='OldGit' post='475742' date='Apr 30 2009, 09:21 AM'][i]Now[/i] we get the pictures! :lol:

Sorry it didn't work for you Chris..
Maybe a trip to Bass Direct? Those Nordys are very nice .....[/quote]

Cheers mate, I'll find it one day, as you say, you have the pics now!
[quote name='Legion' post='475745' date='Apr 30 2009, 09:24 AM']PM'd - very interested

...goes to fill up car ready to drive to Kent...[/quote]

LOL, not for the first time Jase ;)

[quote name='Mike' post='475750' date='Apr 30 2009, 09:30 AM']Hi Chris - good luck with the sale. Looks stunning - if it was rosewood I might have been interested. FYI, I have a Joe Osborne Jazz with J-retro for sale - it's the Dude Pit Limited Edition one, if you're at all interested. I guess it's more 60s then 70s but just thought I'd mention it![/quote]

Now if you wanted to talk about your '75 Mike.....

Thanks for the PM's folks. The way things stand I've received several cash offers (I knew I should have asked for more!), and two interesting trade offers. I should be able to make a decision re the trades in the next couple of days (I'm seeing one tonight and hopefully the other tomorrow or Saturday), and I'll get back to folks regarding cash offers as soon as I can after that.

Chris

Edited by Beedster

This is now on hold. I got home last night, one of the guys from the band was there and he and TFMB were listening to a recording of Sunday's session and, f**k me, I was blown away by how well the Sadowsky records. In fact, on one track it was amongst the best bass sounds I have ever heard AND THAT'S WITH ME PLAYING THE BASS FOR F**K'S SAKE :). I said I was selling the bass and he said "you might want to listen to some more of this first". I did, and frankly I'm amazed how great it sounded. Funny how it didn't sound like that at the time but I guess all the things that have been said about the Sadowsky tone are in fact true. I said in another thread that the band loved the bass, and clearly they do so for good reason.
So, with apologies to all those who PM'd and enquired, this will be on hold for a while while I investigate whether the lovely old Fender Jazz neck I have will go onto this baby, or if not, whether I can get the neck worked on a bit to make it more suitable.
If I can't sort the neck the Sadowsky will be back on sale and I'll probably install some Sadowsky circuitry into a bass that I feel more comfortable with.

[quote name='Beedster' post='476735' date='May 1 2009, 10:01 AM']...I'll probably install some Sadowsky circuitry into a bass that I feel more comfortable with.[/quote]

How about the Sadowsky outboard pre-amp/DI pedal, that's what I use to add that signature sound to my passive Fenders, etc.

JTB

[quote name='Beedster' post='476735' date='May 1 2009, 10:01 AM']This is now on hold. I got home last night, one of the guys from the band was there and he and TFMB were listening to a recording of Sunday's session and, f**k me, I was blown away by how well the Sadowsky records. In fact, on one track it was amongst the best bass sounds I have ever heard AND THAT'S WITH ME PLAYING THE BASS FOR F**K'S SAKE :). I said I was selling the bass and he said "you might want to listen to some more of this first". I did, and frankly I'm amazed how great it sounded. Funny how it didn't sound like that at the time but I guess all the things that have been said about the Sadowsky tone are in fact true. I said in another thread that the band loved the bass, and clearly they do so for good reason.
So, with apologies to all those who PM'd and enquired, this will be on hold for a while while I investigate whether the lovely old Fender Jazz neck I have will go onto this baby, or if not, whether I can get the neck worked on a bit to make it more suitable.
If I can't sort the neck the Sadowsky will be back on sale and I'll probably install some Sadowsky circuitry into a bass that I feel more comfortable with.[/quote]

But its like Kylie II - I simply must have it!

Keep us all informed mate - that cash does tend to burn a hole quickly and I wouldnt want to rashly buy something lesser :rolleyes:

J

[quote name='jonthebass' post='476743' date='May 1 2009, 10:07 AM']How about the Sadowsky outboard pre-amp/DI pedal, that's what I use to add that signature sound to my passive Fenders, etc.

JTB[/quote]

Hi mate
It's certainly an option I'll look at, thanks for the heads up
Chris

[quote name='Legion' post='477232' date='May 1 2009, 06:32 PM']But its like Kylie II - I simply must have it!

Keep us all informed mate - that cash does tend to burn a hole quickly and I wouldnt want to rashly buy something lesser :)

J[/quote]

Ah, Kylie :rolleyes:

Hold on a while Jase, I'llk keep you posted

Chris

Hi Chris,

If the neck is the problem what about having it re-profiled/re-finished or a neck made to your spec.
I was talking to Bernie Goodfellow a while back about a KSD that he installed his own pick-ups and an EBS pre-amp. I was looking at bidding on e-Bay for it but wanted to know about the neck profile. Long story short it wasn't what I wanted BUT he said if I did buy it, whizz down to see him and he would re-profile it. An afternoons work he reckoned. Bear in mind this was a Bass he supplied, but any decent luthier should be able to do the work - OR -

Plan B. Have a neck made exactly the same as the treasured Jazz, but to fit the Sadowsky. The beauty of this plan is you can always put the original neck back on if you do want to sell. When Dave Perry was having a new headless Bass made by ACG, he had Alan measure his beloved Status to make sure the ACG had the same Scale/String Spacing etc. so it can be done.

If you sell the Sadowsky you may never get that killer sound again. You are half way there with your ideal Bass, something a lot of players never achieve.

On another note, there was a mention of Sandberg earlier in the thread. Since buying one I reckon I will be thinning my collection down, including some "I will never sell basses".
Absolutely fantastic neck and killer sound. May be worth a look if you don't keep the Sadowsky.

Good Luck

If there's a good '70's Jazz out there this if now for trade again. I'm going to be working mostly on the '73 fretless and I want something as close as possible to that bass for songs on which I need fretted
Chris

[quote](jonthebass @ May 1 2009, 10:07 AM)
How about the Sadowsky outboard pre-amp/DI pedal, that's what I use to add that signature sound to my passive Fenders, etc.

JTB

Hi mate
It's certainly an option I'll look at, thanks for the heads up
Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris, as I told you in a recent message, I've been very impressed with the sound of my 09 American Standard Jazz through the Sadowsky outboard pre. That way I have the best of all worlds, with the passive jazz if I need it, or the awesome thick & creamy tone of the Sadowsky. The neck on mine is utterly fantastic as well & I don't like wooden necks!

Rich.

[quote name='Beedster' post='475870' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:05 PM']Thanks Zoe, you'll have enough cash one day, and when you do, like me, you'll probbaly not be able to make your mind up which bass you want either :)[/quote]

haha probably! but it would be a nicer position to be in, instead of just dreaming! :rolleyes: haha

Z
x

Hi Chris,
sorry that your Sadowsky experiment hasn't quite done it for you. I also took a while to get into mine from the Fender P Bass but I'm bonding now I think. I just had to forget my other basses and let my hands get used to the differences with the neck. For me the improvement in tone was worth it and now I'm trying to do everything with the one bass. If you're swapping a fair bit from fretted to fretless I can see how you would have a potential problem.
I'm sure there is a queue of people wanting to buy the Sadowsky off you so hopefully it hasn't cost you too much. I never did find a Fender that could match up to the Sadowsky that I tried at Birdy's one time so I had to stop looking at get myself one of them instead.

All the best with the quest.

Neil.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='483447' date='May 9 2009, 12:14 AM']Nice bass and soooo right for my new gig, but all the $$ has gone, will just have to keep using the Sei :)

Good luck with the sale!

Tony[/quote]

Glad to hear you got the gig Tony, if you stumble across and old Jazz or an EUB in the attic, give me a shout eh :}

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='483498' date='May 9 2009, 01:07 AM']keep it :rolleyes:
then you can sell it to me when im rich n famous :lol:
haha!

Z
x[/quote]

Well it's not going anywhere yet so if you hurry up and get famous Zoe....

[quote name='Legion' post='483577' date='May 9 2009, 09:40 AM']So is this still for sale Chris? I'm a little confused as it was, then was up for trade and now is for sale yea? :)[/quote]

Hi Jase
Apologies, I'm ideally looking to trade it as if I sell I'm likely to lose out. IIRC you were first on the PM list if I sell so i promise to let you know if I do. I think when I said above I might ebay it I was thinking that the Euro/£ exchange rate would make this very attractive to the guys on the continent and I might make back what it effectively cost me (it was a trade but you know what I mean). On reflection however, the paypal/ebay fees would more than scupper that idea anyway so perhaps a sale is after all my best bet! I've a couple of guys coming back to me today with pics and details of basses so I'll get back to you if those don't work out
Chris