Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky MV4HJP

Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='483377' date='May 8 2009, 11:11 PM']Having had a think about it I'd also consider a trade/PX for an EUB. It'll need to be a long'un (i.e. 3/4).
Chris[/quote]

Swap for my stagg? I could get a nice fake WAV logo for it and add some mojo if it helps :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='483592' date='May 9 2009, 10:09 AM']Hi Jase
Apologies, I'm ideally looking to trade it as if I sell I'm likely to lose out. IIRC you were first on the PM list if I sell so i promise to let you know if I do. I think when I said above I might ebay it I was thinking that the Euro/£ exchange rate would make this very attractive to the guys on the continent and I might make back what it effectively cost me (it was a trade but you know what I mean). On reflection however, the paypal/ebay fees would more than scupper that idea anyway so perhaps a sale is after all my best bet! I've a couple of guys coming back to me today with pics and details of basses so I'll get back to you if those don't work out
Chris[/quote]

May also be interested in this depending on ££'s let me know Chris...thanks

DAve

All PMs replied to. A couple of guys have first/second dibs sale-wise on this and I'm hoping to check out a couple of potential trades later in the week so I guess it's in a holding pattern of sorts for the time being :)

Hi guys, I didn't reply to the posts below at the time so apologies. I've a few minutes now so thought I'd add some thought :)

[quote name='BassBunny' post='477436' date='May 2 2009, 12:23 AM']Hi Chris,

If the neck is the problem what about having it re-profiled/re-finished or a neck made to your spec.
I was talking to Bernie Goodfellow a while back about a KSD that he installed his own pick-ups and an EBS pre-amp. I was looking at bidding on e-Bay for it but wanted to know about the neck profile. Long story short it wasn't what I wanted BUT he said if I did buy it, whizz down to see him and he would re-profile it. An afternoons work he reckoned. Bear in mind this was a Bass he supplied, but any decent luthier should be able to do the work - OR -

Plan B. Have a neck made exactly the same as the treasured Jazz, but to fit the Sadowsky. The beauty of this plan is you can always put the original neck back on if you do want to sell. When Dave Perry was having a new headless Bass made by ACG, he had Alan measure his beloved Status to make sure the ACG had the same Scale/String Spacing etc. so it can be done.

If you sell the Sadowsky you may never get that killer sound again. You are half way there with your ideal Bass, something a lot of players never achieve.

On another note, there was a mention of Sandberg earlier in the thread. Since buying one I reckon I will be thinning my collection down, including some "I will never sell basses".
Absolutely fantastic neck and killer sound. May be worth a look if you don't keep the Sadowsky.

Good Luck[/quote]

I don't think I'd want to remodel the neck but having another built is an option, although I have to admit that in terms of even action etc this one is lovely and I wonder how close I'd get on both fit and tone (interestingly it is slightly wider than both my Jazzes despite being advertised by Sadowsky as 'Jazz width', it's somewhere between a Jazz and a '70's Precision)?

Sandbergs are probably the one bass in this price range I would like to play but haven't, and this despite SO many people suggesting I should. I probably should :rolleyes:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='479531' date='May 4 2009, 11:09 PM']Hi Chris, as I told you in a recent message, I've been very impressed with the sound of my 09 American Standard Jazz through the Sadowsky outboard pre. That way I have the best of all worlds, with the passive jazz if I need it, or the awesome thick & creamy tone of the Sadowsky. The neck on mine is utterly fantastic as well & I don't like wooden necks!

Rich.[/quote]

Hey Rich, glad you've got the sound you want, and agreed, it would be a good idea. However, I've decided that I don't use boxes anymore, I'd far rather have all the tone control I need at the bass as opposed to trying to remember where on the stage the box is and what setting I'm currently on! Probably a naive view but I guess we all have our oddities :lol:

[quote name='barks' post='479699' date='May 5 2009, 09:37 AM']Hi Chris,
sorry that your Sadowsky experiment hasn't quite done it for you. I also took a while to get into mine from the Fender P Bass but I'm bonding now I think. I just had to forget my other basses and let my hands get used to the differences with the neck. For me the improvement in tone was worth it and now I'm trying to do everything with the one bass. If you're swapping a fair bit from fretted to fretless I can see how you would have a potential problem.
I'm sure there is a queue of people wanting to buy the Sadowsky off you so hopefully it hasn't cost you too much. I never did find a Fender that could match up to the Sadowsky that I tried at Birdy's one time so I had to stop looking at get myself one of them instead.

All the best with the quest.

Neil.[/quote]

I must admit Neil that I'm starting to wonder whether the better bet is to get a matched Sadowsky fretless!

Edited by Beedster

• 2 weeks later...

With apologies for a lot of messing about on this bass, it's back up for sale. I've gone around and around on it but I think i'm going to stick to fretless with the new band (we're doing mostly original material so it's quite easy to write lines within my fretless skill zone :)). I might be looking at a Sadowsky fretless in the future but in the meantime I've an extremely expensive house move going through tomorrow plus I'd like to get a long scale EUB and a new 115 so I think it's just stupid keeping this bass.

I can say without any fear of contradiction that it's an outstanding instrument in every way, even to the point that its seemingly infinite sustain can actually become a problem when, like me you're used to playing thumpy 70's Precisions! It's three months old, is in the extremely sexy & light custom Sadowsky case, and is in perfect condition. Currently they retail at just under £2000 so I'm asking £1250 which seems fair, if not a pretty good deal for what is effectively a new instrument. I'd rather not post/courier and will do my best to meet the buyer in person wherever they're based albeit with an expectation that they travel equally as far (colection from either Canterbury or Milton Keynes is also an option).

Having taken a while to gather my thoughts recently, I think the only PX I'd be after at present would be a Fender Tony Franklin fretless, and I'd need something else my way also.

I'm (hopefully) completing on the house tomorrow so may not be able to answer PMs, but will aim to get back to you over the weekend.

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='OldGit' post='496568' date='May 24 2009, 12:47 PM']Found the kettle yet? bump
:)[/quote]

No :rolleyes:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='496709' date='May 24 2009, 05:34 PM']Black scratchpate and that would be perfect.[/quote]

Fair point, although I thought you were more an orange man :lol:

OK, this was kind of on hold and still might be.......

But in the meantime, I played a Fender Tony Franklin fretless at the weekend and, although it was lovely, the neck was still a lttle wide for me so I'm going to stick with my current fretless Precision (sorry Dave). On that basis I'll open the Sadowsky up to PX offers. Please note I need to clear at least £500 cash as I'm after a new EUB, but the sort of things I'd be after are:

Decent fretted Precision
Markbass Traveller 115 cab (new shape)
Small Markbass combos (not 15"), or something equally small and light
Interesting fretless basses.....

Or I guess anything else you think I might be interested in! Please remember I need to PX - not trade - and I need to clear at least £500 cash from the deal :)

Chris

I don't think this is on hold any more (or at least I haven't heard back so I think it's fair to assume not).

I'd rather trade or PX this here than ebay it; it's not so much the fees but the fact that, thanks largely to their recent 'protect the buyer at all costs' approach, ebay is becoming a risky place to sell high-value items (the scams are increasingly on the buying side. Apparently ebay didn't see that coming......)

But....

Despite probably 40 PMs on this bass nothing has been forthcoming in either trade or cash terms, and although I'm in no real rush to get rid of it per se, I'd rather put the money to use in other bass-related kit, especially as we've secured a regular club gig. So if any of you guys want it take a punt on trade or PX offers please do so soonish, as I said, I don't want to ebay it but looks like I might have to. I'm especially interested in getting a small Markbass combo and/or a Markbass Traveller 15" at the moment, and would also be keen to hear from anyone who's got a graphite-necked fretless they're looking to get rid of :)

Of course, cash talks loudest :rolleyes:

It's a stunning bass in perfect condition and, in keeping with several of my previous girlfriends, I wish I liked it enough to keep it. Given what others have said here and elsewhere about Sadowsky basses, and assuming you're not a difficult to please old Fenderhead like me, you're probably not going to go far wrong with this!

I'm happy to travel a litttle to meet and exchange face-to-face, probably anywhere south of Leicester is OK for me.

Chris

Edited by Beedster