Why become a member? ×

The Blockheads featuring Norman Watt-Roy

ambient

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ah, but did he sweat like the great Norman? I've never seen anyone soak through a suit so thoroughly and so quickly than NWR. 

I reckon Lee Brillo could keep pace.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ambient said:

I’m told it’s NWR on bass.

Despite not knowing any of their songs I’m probably going to go, I have complimentary tickets, it’d be rude not to.

You should be in for a treat. Norman aside, Chaz and Johnny are worth going to see.

I stood next to Norman and Chas Jankel at the bar of the Waterside in Sale, the last time I saw them live. I nudged my brother and whispered should we say hello? We decided it was weird, and totally ignored him….. 😒

46 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I stood next to Norman and Chas Jankel at the bar of the Waterside in Sale, the last time I saw them live. I nudged my brother and whispered should we say hello? We decided it was weird, and totally ignored him….. 😒

From a story I heard about Norman, you'd have been fine and he would have probably bought you a drink.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

From a story I heard about Norman, you'd have been fine and he would have probably bought you a drink.

Yes - I had a chat with him when he played on a stage I was working. Thanked him for being an inspiration and he was great about it!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ezbass said:

25 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Yes - I had a chat with him when he played on a stage I was working. Thanked him for being an inspiration and he was great about it!

There's some serious mojo around that whole era of musicians, those that emerged in the 70's but never made it to stardom in TOTP terms - that means that you've always been able to have a pint with them (even Lemmy bought me a pint once, and he probably did meet the TOTP criteria as well). The person I most regret not meeting was Wilko, whose performance of Roxette on OGWT in the early '70s is still for me the definitive rock and roll moment (the "electric mouse on rails" in a band that felt like they had emerged from a "special area of the military" as the presenter had it). These are the guys that played it 'cos they love playing and still play it 'cos they love playing. And a big part of that is the genuine affection and respect they have for the people who come to the gigs.

If @ambient isn't going, I'm heading up and having his ticket :) 

Edited by Beedster

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

When he starts playing that fast, walking groove is sublime. Nice to see him playing his Bass Collection signature Jazz too.

I believe it's all he uses live these days having sold the Fender Jazz it was modelled on.

• Thanks 1

I always have respect for artists who use their own signature guitars….. and I don’t mean just on one song in order to promote sales, I mean actually use it during most of a gig. I think it validates the instrument. Of course, they could just be skint and have no choice!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rayman said:

I always have respect for artists who use their own signature guitars….. and I don’t mean just on one song in order to promote sales, I mean actually use it during most of a gig. I think it validates the instrument. Of course, they could just be skint and have no choice!

I suspect that he would sound as good whether he's playing a '62 Fender or an Encore, he is great proof of the 'all in the fingers' model 👍

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Funny sat here now at 63 yrs old. I can remember the exact moment I heard HMWYRS for the first time 44yrs ago...A lifetime ago and that bass line floored me then and it stills floors me now. I'm actually amazed that someone somewhere hasn't sampled the first two bars of that bassline into a dance groove or something...Legendary.

Edited by greavesbass
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Funny sat here now at 63 yrs old. I can remember the exact moment I heard HMWYRS for the first time 44yrs ago...A lifetime ago and that bass line floored me then and it stills floors me now. 

^ This at 64 in my case.

On 27/04/2023 at 20:36, ezbass said:

When he starts playing that fast, walking groove is sublime. Nice to see him playing his Bass Collection signature Jazz too.

Pedant alert - that's his Joseph Kaye Faith & Grace bass. 

He'd sound awesome on anything. Total legend. 

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Thanks 1