Why become a member? ×

Double bass E string snapped!

JosephMartyn

It's a rare occurrence with a steel cored string! And I'm presuming they will be steel strings, to work with the magnetic pickup. The best idea might be to identify what the existing strings were, which people can usually do from the silk colours and ball and type, and it would be easier to offer advice with that comparison point

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeEvans said:

The question of which strings to use is an endless source of discussion, experimentation and expense... Are you happy with the strings you have on at the moment?

I'm not sure what is on it at the moment, I'll take a couple of photos, I like these, hopefully can good the same!

1 hour ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

If you post a picture of the ball end/silk and the pegbox silk the original strings can probably be identified.

Might be worth considering replacing the whole set (single E string will be most expensive to buy new)

Great idea! I'll take some photos :)

1 hour ago, Beer of the Bass said:

It's a rare occurrence with a steel cored string! And I'm presuming they will be steel strings, to work with the magnetic pickup. The best idea might be to identify what the existing strings were, which people can usually do from the silk colours and ball and type, and it would be easier to offer advice with that comparison point

Thankyou! I'll take a couple of photos :)

Probably D'addario Helicore Pizzicato, going by this chart. Not sure if heavy or light.

https://gollihurmusic.com/string-identification-chart/

I haven't used them myself, but they should be decent strings. If you like how they play and sound it might be worth replacing just the E, since they're a known quality string and not some random cheap set.

Edited by Beer of the Bass
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Probably D'addario Helicore Pizzicato, going by this chart. Not sure if heavy or light.

I haven't used them myself, but they should be decent strings. If you like how they play and sound it might be worth replacing just the E, since they're a known quality string and not some random cheap set.

I would concur with one caveat.

If the strings are very old - pegbox pic looks like the E is corroded - then replacing just one string might result in a big tonal difference between the new and old strings.

I haven't used helicore pizz myself, but going by the manufacturers description I would guess that they are supposed to be significantly similar to Thomastic Spirocore, which can take a long time to dull(mileage will vary with personal body chemistry and how much you play).

• Thanks 1

https://www.innovationstrings.com/#/

Check out Innovation strings. They have a string for most styles and preferences.. braided or solid synthetic core, steel or nylon wrapped and different tensions including a low tension set for slap, plus sets orientated towards arc or pizz.

Mostly what you want will depend on what you play. I like the honey jazz set, a solid core mostly for pizz. 

An alternative to the innovation honey jazz are the Obligato strings, again synthetic core but a good all rounder that also has a good response with the bow (they have enough metal in the wrap to work with magnetic pickups).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Great chart! I'll save that link! Thankyou!!!

9 hours ago, JosephMartyn said:

So just as I'm getting back into double bass...the E string went! 

Respect is due. I have only managed to snap one DB string in 40 years. And that was because I was tuning it an octave higher than I should have. I do not want to talk about it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Owen said:

Respect is due. I have only managed to snap one DB string in 40 years. And that was because I was tuning it an octave higher than I should have. I do not want to talk about it. 

I did that with a mandolin once, but with a DB......... :( 

• Like 1

As others have said, replace the whole set, it'll be more economic in the long-term, and even if they are old an used, you'll have spare G, D, and A which are more likely to break than the E anyway.

i may have missed something above but I'd also check why the E-broke, for example was it twisted, is your bridge correctly setup, was something coming into contact with it? Breaking an E-string once is a PITA, breaking one twice because you didn't resolve the problem the first time around is a significant step up in casualness :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beedster said:

As others have said, replace the whole set, it'll be more economic in the long-term, and even if they are old an used, you'll have spare G, D, and A which are more likely to break than the E anyway.

i may have missed something above but I'd also check why the E-broke, for example was it twisted, is your bridge correctly setup, was something coming into contact with it? Breaking an E-string once is a PITA, breaking one twice because you didn't resolve the problem the first time around is a significant step up in casualness :) 

Good info! Thankyou! I'm not sure on the history of the bass or age of the strings. It failed at the peg, unravelling, possibly some ageing of the string combined with how it was wound? I'll inspect when I remove it :)

Right, I think I'm going to go for the helicore as it looks likely the current strings are also helicore and I like them...but which tension?!

I think someone mentioned the ball ends might indicate the tension...so here is a photo :)

Thanks again for all the info, I've never replaced double bass strings before so it's a huge help!! :)

20230424_084506.jpg

19 hours ago, Owen said:

I tell a lie. I have snapped a B string as well. But that was due to shockingly poor tuning peg technique and it getting wedged inside the peg box. 

The hours I've spent getting the string wrapped around the peg correctly to avoid that doesn't bare thinking about, installing DB strings really is one of my least favourite tasks :( 

• Like 1