Why become a member? ×

Double bass E string snapped!

JosephMartyn

49 minutes ago, Owen said:

The day I discovered winding machine heads with an adapter on a drill was a great day. I even unscrew one end of the machines to wind on by hand. But I also hate it. 

If there are two things that I aim to keep as distant from each other as is humanly possible it's my double bass and drills :) 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

If there are two things that I aim to keep as distant from each other as is humanly possible it's my double bass and drills :) 

A buffing pad on a drill makes them really shiny! And wears the varnish off if you are too enthusiastic. This is something else I do not want to discuss.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

The hours I've spent getting the string wrapped around the peg correctly to avoid that doesn't bare thinking about, installing DB strings really is one of my least favourite tasks :( 

This is one of the things I like about Spirocores - I can stick a set on, then not have to think about doing it again for years! I guess it's fortunate that they're the sound I want, too.

Edited by Beer of the Bass
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Owen said:

A buffing pad on a drill makes them really shiny! And wears the varnish off if you are too enthusiastic. This is something else I do not want to discuss.

I'm wondering if a thread titled "Learning by my mistakes" might be of interest to our readers? :) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Beedster said:

I'm wondering if a thread titled "Learning by my mistakes" might be of interest to our readers? :) 

...I once decided to use a wooden bass neck as a donor for casting a mold out of a resin.  The plan was to then remove the wooden neck from the resin and use the mold to lay up a carbon fibre neck...I was so confident I could get it right first time that I used quite a nice neck...this is something I do not want to discuss 🤣

• Like 1