Why become a member? ×

Cheap Fretless Hype?

YouMa

They’re a good fretless bass and they’re cheap. 

If you’re looking for something to try, then give them a go. If you take to it, you’ll rapidly experience limitations. If you own or play more expensive and refined guitars it’ll become apparent soon enough.

They’re about a million times better than the entry level junk I had in the 90s.

• Like 1

I'm not sure which ones are being raved about on YouTube, but I have their version of the fretless lined Jazz bass.

Plays really well and sounded good enough to record with (which I did). The only downside, is that it seems to be made from depleted uranium, so sitting down is the only option.

• Haha 1

I've got the HB fretless jazz. It's very good, excellent value, I have gigged it and will again. All components could be made 10% better but I don't see the need to fit a preamp when a preamp pedal can do you the same job. If you want an active fretless there's the Site V7 which does look very nice with the coated fretboard and the pre is fantastic.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge and it's a beautiful instrument. I might be wrong but the body looks like a single piece of Ash??!. I love playing fretless again really slows you down and makes everything sensual and expressive. The head/neck dive is terrible though. I sort of like the fact it weighs a ton though. Feels really solid. Can't go wrong for 150 squid.

• Like 1