Why become a member? ×

Singing and playing

Philly

I have sung in bands both backing and lead, as long as I have played bass, so I guess I learned to do both at the same time fairly organically.

That being said, there are songs that I just cannot sing and play at the same time because of the melody and syncopation just make my brain hurt. Move on up by Curtis Mayfield is one example. It’s not hard to play but I just can’t do it.

If you can lock down a bass-line and know it so well it’s muscle memory that helps a lot. Also knowing the lyrics well helps, so you don’t have to think about what your singing.

Sometimes fairly simple songs are really tricky and sometimes the tricky ones can come easily because the rhythm and bassline slots nicely with the phrasing and melody.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I can’t do either 😁

In that case, I'll get you a form to enable you 'compete' in any of those horrendous BBC 'Master Musician of the Universe' shows that plague TV every weekend, holiday, etc. Put yourself down as a singer who plays bass or a bassist who sings and you'll be a sensation. 😉 The world will be your oxter for a week at least.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Of course it is, in fact it's just plain Horrible.. 

ps.. maybe I've had a sheltered life, but I've never seen anyone slapping an upright piano... 

Cruelty to piano that is. What is the world coming to. Slapping regularly should be reserved for singers and drummers.

2 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Cruelty to piano that is. What is the world coming to. Slapping regularly should be reserved for singers and drummers.

Sadly pianos are wantonly destroyed on a regular basis, I got given an old one that was being thrown out, it was only a few streets away so myself and a couple of mates just wheeled it home down the pavement. 

I've seen lovely pianos just smashed up or thrown on a bonfire :(

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Philly said:

I’m wondering how many of us bass lot manage to do backing vocals in bands. I play in a covers band and need to start doing some, but have had several attempts and usually ended in failure. 

Does anyone have any techniques to make this easier? 

I song both harmonies and lead vocals. I'm not sure that I can share techniques other than practice, practice, practice. It's kind of second nature now...

Incidentally I cut my young teeth endlessly playing and singing along with the Rush album 'Exit Stage Left' in the 80's which must have helped no end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sing and play, mainly harmony BVs with the occasional lead. For me it's a matter of delegating one of them to a particular unconscious part of the brain to carry out automatically, so as I can concentrate on the other one. Generally it's the bass that I switch to automatic. Complex cross rhythms are a challenge, but when you get it right it can be exhilarating and satisfying, like walking a tightrope. Just don't look down or it will get messy. I guess it helps playing in an originals band, I write my bass lines and write and arrange the BVs, so I can tweak stuff it's it's not performable.

As for playing and walking, absolutely not. I tried once, it was a catastrophe resulting in bandages.

Edited by Skin Lewis
  • Haha 1

Sometimes it's an absolute necessity! I was playing bass in a pickup band booked to play on the back of a truck for the Dorchester carnival parade a few years ago. One week before the event our vocalist/rhythm guitarist decided to go on holiday instead, leaving us with guitar, bass and drums only. So, as we would be moving through the town all the time and our audience was constantly changing, we decided to reduce the setlist to a few numbers that I could sing on autopilot (Knocking on Heaven's door, Valerie, Route 66, Rockin' all over the World, plus a couple of others but we dropped Bohemian Rhapsody). I did the singing after one rehearsal, and it turned out OK (well, no-one threw bottles of p*ss at me, at any rate...) Funny thing, I found that singing lead while spanking the bass was much easier than singing harmony, but I wouldn't want to do it again; another reason for saying no to that kind of gig  is that playing on an open truck which is constantly starting and stopping you can end up with the mic smacking into your teeth, or the amps sliding around, or the band falling about like ninepins especially if the driver is cr*p - the only answer is to adopt a low, crouching posture aligned and braced with legs fore and aft like a wannabe rock guitarist - now as responsible bass-players we don't want THAT going up on YouTube, now do we?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might not get away with that at some of the weddings we play! 😀

Thanks all for the comments, some good advice, mainly stating what I probably thought which is practise, practise practise until one becomes autopilot. I will need to ensure an empty house for the early attempts! 

I can (and do) sing basic backing vocals but the bass lines tend to suffer and I try and modify them to keep them simple. As has been mentioned above, most punters listen to the vocals over the bass so where I am doing Bvs, it is those that get priority. I have taken a few lead vocals on songs but generally where either I know the song backwards or the bass part is simple and on the beat. I don't enjoy singing and I don't have a great lead vocal voice, so taking the lead vocals is a very rare occurrence. Which is probably a good thing for band and audience. 😃

• Thanks 1