Why become a member? ×

Ricky and Precision volume & tone operation

Mike Bungo

Now I know this may sound mad but the controls on these two basses operate in the opposite way…..  Is this right and if so why? I’ve had my fender from new for 8 years and recently acquired my 4003 and they all work in reverse of each other 🤔

411645E5-4E99-4094-B9F6-58912AFD2A45.jpeg

• Like 1

This is my third Ricky and the problem appears to be where you would be turning the volume up it’s going down and when I’m say turning the treble down it gets brighter. I know how to adjust it now but it just seems very odd 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mike Bungo said:

This is my third Ricky and the problem appears to be where you would be turning the volume up it’s going down and when I’m say turning the treble down it gets brighter. I know how to adjust it now but it just seems very odd 

If this is the first one you have had this issue with? it definitely sounds like leftie wiring. Tech must have been having a bad day🤣 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldsod said:

If this is the first one you have had this issue with? it definitely sounds like leftie wiring. Tech must have been having a bad day🤣 

I can't see the logic in thinking it would be leftie wiring. Clockwise is clockwise whichever way up the pot is, and as volume pots are log pots, having them wired the other way round would mean they should be antilog pots. Just c0cked-up wiring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

I can't see the logic in thinking it would be leftie wiring. Clockwise is clockwise whichever way up the pot is, and as volume pots are log pots, having them wired the other way round would mean they should be antilog pots. Just c0cked-up wiring.

Could be, could just be reverse pots. 

Would be easy enough to have bought the wrong ones by accident, and just decided to use them anyway. 

2 minutes ago, uncle psychosis said:

Would be easy enough to have bought the wrong ones by accident, and just decided to use them anyway.

A tech may indeed have done that and not tested thoroughly, or just thought, sod it! Sounds plausible.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Surely left-handed basses are clockwise for louder and anti-clockwise for quieter, just like right-handed, so this stuff about left-handed and right-handed wiring is just a load of bollocks?

All of my left handed basses are anti clockwise for louder and clockwise for quieter.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oldsod said:

All of my left handed basses are anti clockwise for louder and clockwise for quieter.

I sit corrected. That seems confusing, given that amps are clockwise for louder whether you're left or right handed.

14 hours ago, Skybone said:

There is the weird thing on the neck pickup volume after around 3/4-Full, with both pickups on, it gets quieter. 

Keep the volume at around 3/4 volume, it "opens up".

Sounds like phase cancellation, just like on a lot of dual pickup, passive basses (I won’t say all, as I’ve not played them all).