Why become a member? ×

Kramer 450B with issues

Wtf does "potentially" fretless mean? 

High start price if it's buggered in some way. 

I had a single PU version of this, and later one of the nat. maple finish ones with the cream coloured P bass PU. 

I liked them and they were quite a good bass tho I swapped the first one for a Stingray.. which was better! 

• Like 1

Nice - I have the exact same model; they’re seriously good basses especially as a fretless - I found it got me closer to the Mick Karn tone than my fretless Wal does ( most of the Japan recordings were done using an alu necked Travis Bean of course).

Mind, he’d  have better chances of a sale if he could actually spell “bass” in the title and had checked it actually works.  As long as it doesn’t fetch much more than £1K it’s a good buy. 👍

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Wtf does "potentially" fretless mean? 

High start price if it's buggered in some way. 

I had a single PU version of this, and later one of the nat. maple finish ones with the cream coloured P bass PU. 

I liked them and they were quite a good bass tho I swapped the first one for a Stingray.. which was better! 

I think it means he doesn't know the exact model. It is lined fretless.

The vocalist of a former band, many years ago, had one. I tried and didn't like. He wanted to get rid of it so it got included in the part-exchange deal for my Warwick Thumb and I paid him back the £75 that Musical Exchanges gave me for it. How times and prices change.

Never knew they did kramer Ali necks as a fretless, unless someone just ground the frets down? 

I also recall you could pick a kramer up fairly cheap as many people didn't fancy them. My last hands on experience of them was in the early 80s, I've not seen one out in the wild for donkeys years. 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
Auto un correct

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Never knew they did kramer Ali necks as a fretless, unless someone just ground the frets down? 

I also recall you could pick a kramer up fairly cheap as many people didn't fancy them. My last hands on experience of them was in the early 80s, I've not seen one out in the wild for donkeys years. 

Yeah, quite a few were fretless, and they also pioneered the “semi fretted” format where the lower (nut end) part of the fingerboard was fretted, and the upper part was fretless.    Didn’t seem to catch on though.   The fingerboards are made from ebanol, a synthetic material also used for making bowling balls, which is very like a hard expoxied ebony board; mine almost looks like new after over 40 years of play.

Kramers were never really fashionable, the late ‘70’s / early ‘80’s alu necked ones were superb, really boutique quality, but the later wooden necked pointy “hair metal” models rather ruined the brand image.  

I’d personally take a ‘79 Kramer over a ‘79 Fender any day.

4 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Yeah, quite a few were fretless, and they also pioneered the “semi fretted” format where the lower (nut end) part of the fingerboard was fretted, and the upper part was fretless.    Didn’t seem to catch on though.   The fingerboards are made from ebanol, a synthetic material also used for making bowling balls, which is very like a hard expoxied ebony board; mine almost looks like new after over 40 years of play.

Kramers were never really fashionable, the late ‘70’s / early ‘80’s alu necked ones were superb, really boutique quality, but the later wooden necked pointy “hair metal” models rather ruined the brand image.  

I’d personally take a ‘79 Kramer over a ‘79 Fender any day.

I wondered at the time tho, if they'd be problematic if you needed a re-fret or anything..? 

Again in hindsight another bass i shoulda hung on to! 

• Like 1

It looks quite a nice Kramer, though with some small issues and it's fretless; I'd say the price seems a bit high.

I've got an interesting variation on these - they did a limited run where they set someone loose with a hacksaw at the factory...

hE26Kl5.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, prowla said:

It looks quite a nice Kramer, though with some small issues and it's fretless; I'd say the price seems a bit high.

I've got an interesting variation on these - they did a limited run where they set someone loose with a hacksaw at the factory...

hE26Kl5.jpg

Is that a Stagemaster?