Why become a member? ×

Squire Telecaster Bass (no typo !)

dmz

I’ve noted a few discussions lately on the Squier Classic Vibe 50’s P-bass, so I thought I’d post my mods to one that I did a while back - at least a couple of years ago.

I’ve always had a fascination about Chris Squire’s modded Telecaster bass - since seeing that picture on the little booklet that came with the Fragile album.

When the Squier CV’s first came out I thought to myself - hmmm, you could do a nice “Squire” modded version to one of those. So, the first thing I was going to do was to add another pickup at the bridge position - then things went a little bit crazy. Seeing as it is an “inspired by” rather than a clone I thought - what about a humbucker in the neck position ? A mudbucker would take up too much space, what about something alternative - how about a Ricky, given the Squire connection. After a bit of rummaging around the internet I came across Creamery pickups in Manchester.  As it turned out, as well as a toaster, I ended getting a set of 52-Pbass pickups too - Alnico 2 for the middle and an alnico 5 for the bridge. A three hole telecaster control plate was bought which needed a little bit more routing of the existing cavity so that the concentric pots fitted. A Jazz Bass pickup cover was used to cover the bridge pickup. In a final bout of madness I got the luthier who did the work to add the “Squire” decal.

How does it sound ? Well, the middle pickup has a lot of that early 50’s sound - great attack and definition. Maybe not as much weight as a 57-Pbass but has some nicely judged mids. The bridge, having alnico 5’s is quite aggressive but not thin and nasty. I think if you like Jean Jacques Burnel’s sound you’d like this bass. The toaster has less mids than the P-bass pickups but has a bigger bottom.  With all three turned on it sounds almost active ! So, all in all very pleased with the way it turned out. Going forward I might be tempted to sand down the back of the neck for a more satin feel and get a bone nut installed. I really do like the smaller body shape on these basses - very comfortable. Sorry for my ramblings - hope you enjoy !

D4802B93-767C-4A4F-8462-EF42088EA8CB.jpeg

A0CE0165-8819-48E2-92F8-1EEEEE332F51.jpeg

F2C17FC3-6E1D-4CE5-85AC-67DCB14482BF.jpeg

• Like 26

When Leo designed the '51 I'm sure he was thinking "Mmm, that's a lot of space between the bridge and PUP, I wonder what folks will do with it? Nice work, I'm doing something similar should time allow

And 51' mod threads always warrant a pic of Charlie Tumahai 

image.png.7aa4be677db18ea98de4dcdb0ec4fe8e.png

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I still haven't got round to doing mine yet 😄

How does the pickup work so close to the bridge - do the strings line up over the poles ok? I know these pickups tend to have quite a narrow field, if I get carried away with the bends there's a bit of a volume drop.

I suppose you could use a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder single coil P for the bridge, which got much bigger pole pieces that ought to produce a wider magnetic field, also as the only type of Quarter Pounder pickup it is not scooped at all, in fact it got a bit of a mid hump.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 02/04/2023 at 11:36, dmz said:

I’ve noted a few discussions lately on the Squier Classic Vibe 50’s P-bass, so I thought I’d post my mods to one that I did a while back - at least a couple of years ago.

I’ve always had a fascination about Chris Squire’s modded Telecaster bass - since seeing that picture on the little booklet that came with the Fragile album.

When the Squier CV’s first came out I thought to myself - hmmm, you could do a nice “Squire” modded version to one of those. So, the first thing I was going to do was to add another pickup at the bridge position - then things went a little bit crazy. Seeing as it is an “inspired by” rather than a clone I thought - what about a humbucker in the neck position ? A mudbucker would take up too much space, what about something alternative - how about a Ricky, given the Squire connection. After a bit of rummaging around the internet I came across Creamery pickups in Manchester.  As it turned out, as well as a toaster, I ended getting a set of 52-Pbass pickups too - Alnico 2 for the middle and an alnico 5 for the bridge. A three hole telecaster control plate was bought which needed a little bit more routing of the existing cavity so that the concentric pots fitted. A Jazz Bass pickup cover was used to cover the bridge pickup. In a final bout of madness I got the luthier who did the work to add the “Squire” decal.

How does it sound ? Well, the middle pickup has a lot of that early 50’s sound - great attack and definition. Maybe not as much weight as a 57-Pbass but has some nicely judged mids. The bridge, having alnico 5’s is quite aggressive but not thin and nasty. I think if you like Jean Jacques Burnel’s sound you’d like this bass. The toaster has less mids than the P-bass pickups but has a bigger bottom.  With all three turned on it sounds almost active ! So, all in all very pleased with the way it turned out. Going forward I might be tempted to sand down the back of the neck for a more satin feel and get a bone nut installed. I really do like the smaller body shape on these basses - very comfortable. Sorry for my ramblings - hope you enjoy !

D4802B93-767C-4A4F-8462-EF42088EA8CB.jpeg

A0CE0165-8819-48E2-92F8-1EEEEE332F51.jpeg

F2C17FC3-6E1D-4CE5-85AC-67DCB14482BF.jpeg

That is one of the most awesome basses I have seen, always wanted a bass with 2 single coil p pickups, I bet that sounds amazing with all 3 on

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I suppose you could use a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder single coil P for the bridge, which got much bigger pole pieces that ought to produce a wider magnetic field, also as the only type of Quarter Pounder pickup it is not scooped at all, in fact it got a bit of a mid hump.

I tried a QP before, not my cup of tea!

Loving that. Very similar to some ideas floating around in my head for the last couple of months!

Also glad to see someone not afraid of doing mods to suit you and not about resale values 😎

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 1