Why become a member? ×

My Modded Road worn P Bass

ezbass

I bought a new Road Worn a few weeks back. This bass was bought with the intention and for the purpose of having a P bass but with another P p/up ( I have a '63 P and no way was I going to cut into that!!). Here is the newly modded bass in the flesh with the Seymour Duncan vintage added, I also added a Hipshot D Tuner for the full on custom bass. My favourite sound is neck p/up full on, bridge at about 95% (about 30 degrees off full turn) which just adds that little bit of definition. Full on it's a Jazzish bass sound, but with more balls, just what I wanted. I'll still mainly use it with just the neck p/up, but when I need that extra zing I've got it there.

Hmm that D tuner is a bit shiny by comparison.

[quote name='Jase' post='475077' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:49 PM']Great looking bass! What's the Roadworn like against US or CIJ's?[/quote]

Short answer is I don't know, but I did demo it side by side with the MIM 50s reissue and a more expensive Lakland Bob Glaub Skyline, to my hands and ears the RW felt and sounded more like home to me. The looks are a debatable point dependant on preference, but as my '63 is beaten to hell I'm OK with the looks.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='475058' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:36 PM']Shame it's got so many dings and scratches on it, though. I'd ask for my money back.[/quote]

This made me :) :rolleyes: :D ;)

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='475154' date='Apr 29 2009, 03:12 PM']I have always been curious about doing this. One day i probably will.

Looks a real good job, did you do it yourself?

Not a huge relic'd fan, but i bet that thing has nuts.[/quote]

I was going to do it myself, but chickened out at the last minute. I had The Bass Centre do it and it was at a very reasonable price too.

Nuts? OH YEAH!

[quote name='Jase' post='475741' date='Apr 30 2009, 09:19 AM']Did you route the pick ups yourself? It's a bloody good job, they line up really well![/quote]

I was going to but bottled it, got The Bass Centre on the case instead. Did it really quickly and cheaply. Rehearsal tonight, really looking forward to using it anger.

[quote name='OldGit' post='475774' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:09 AM']I'm curious why you went for a P pup there rather than a J .. Does it sound very different?[/quote]

I have found with a P/J set up that the J p/up is either on or off with noreal blend to speak of. I guess this is down to the power of the P p/up. However, with the P/P config I can hear 3 different blend options on each p/up not including off and the bridge p/up isn't a nasal as J p/up, as you'd expect.

[quote name='ezbass' post='475823' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:15 AM']I have found with a P/J set up that the J p/up is either on or off with noreal blend to speak of. I guess this is down to the power of the P p/up. However, with the P/P config I can hear 3 different blend options on each p/up not including off and the bridge p/up isn't a nasal as J p/up, as you'd expect.[/quote]

Ok That's clear ..

[quote name='jonthebass' post='475907' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:34 PM']Would you mind telling me what it cost all in please?[/quote]

£110 for the p/up, pot, knob and fitting. I did the D Tuner myself.

Edited by ezbass

I've got a reliced hipshot that would do the job nicely; looks like it's spent the last 30 years on Lemmy's main gigging bass and on it's night off been out drinking with Keith Moon and Oliver Reid.
Yours looks like it's been to church with Cliff Richard a couple of times :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='476151' date='Apr 30 2009, 04:27 PM']Yours looks like it's been to church with Cliff Richard a couple of times :)[/quote]

LOL. I know, give it time. I will say that the action on the Hipshot is soooo much nicer than the original ones on the Road Worn, which are a bit stiff.

[quote name='Beedster' post='476151' date='Apr 30 2009, 04:27 PM']I've got a reliced hipshot that would do the job nicely; looks like it's spent the last 30 years on Lemmy's main gigging bass and on it's night off been out drinking with Keith Moon and Oliver Reid.
Yours looks like it's been to church with Cliff Richard a couple of times :)[/quote]

Why should the devil have all the good d-tuners??

• 1 month later...

Well a little update on the above project. I've now done 2 gigs with it and changes have been made. All the subtle nuances of blend that I could hearwhen demoing on my own, or at rehearsal, are as near as dammit undetectable live, so the 2 vols have been replaced with 1 vol, 1 tone and a 3 way toggle (Gibson style) as this is meant to be a live performance bass. This way I can do some very quick changes between the p/ups for quick solo moments, etc (but you knew that already). Tonewise I still mainly use the neck p/up, but for songs with a more modern feel, Rickenbacker impressions, or any slapped parts it's both p/ups on (the slap really cuts through now). I have to admit to a bit of modifiers remorse after the first gig, but now I'm totally sold. I have also stripped the nitro off the back of the neck as it's way too sticky and I can't be waiting around for 10 or more years for a thorough drying out (my skin oils don't mix that well with nitro necks, fortunately my '63 is so dried out that this isn't an issue). I've also taken some wire wool to the D Tuner key so that it's a bit more in keeping with the others, still needs more grime on it though.