Why become a member? ×

Barefaced One10 vs Two10

RikiB

So I missed out on the Two10 on here as didn’t have the funds at the time but I’ve got the opportunity to get a One10.

I’ll be using it for home playing,odd rehearsal and maybe as a stage monitor (only bass in it) if I can go through the PA.

obviously Two10 will better and louder but can someone convince me I don’t need the Two10 and should go for this one10.

30 minutes ago, RikiB said:

I’ll be using it for home playing,odd rehearsal and maybe as a stage monitor (only bass in it) if I can go through the PA.

I think the One10 might be all you need. I bought one, loved it, use it, and it sounds great. I bought a second one, just because, and I’ve yet to use it. I was really surprised at the volume and bottom end they can provide. 
Rob

• Thanks 1

I think a 110 is only going to work for a very quiet band.

A 210 will work for a lot of UK bands that aren't hell raisingly loud just doing vocal PA. Unamped drums with guitarists that are onboard is the new world order.

As for monitoring and going through the PA... all power to you if the 110 is pointed up to your ears, drummer can still get a feel, while it doesn't mess up FOH sound.

• Thanks 1

So i’m in two bands. 1 is a loud classic rock band and I’ll use the Six10 I have for that.

The other is a Motown,disco,dance wedding band that I was thinking I could just put a Shure beta 52a mic on a small cab (one10) and to all in the PA basically.

or just use the Six10 for both bands I’m unsure as the one10 on a stand plus mic stand is going to take up the same about it stage space anyway

I've got two One10s, and one for home use, small gigs and stage monitoring would be absolutely fine.

Having the second cab makes for a very compact, flexible and powerful set up, with t a decent amp.

Paging @Merton who got my hooked on these wee cabs, and sold me one too, he has lots of experience of the One10 and Two10 cabs in proper gigging capacities too.

For the purposes you mention above though, I expect a One10 will be more than enough, and a Two10 might've been overkill anyway :)

Eude

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eude said:

I've got two One10s, and one for home use, small gigs and stage monitoring would be absolutely fine.

Having the second cab makes for a very compact, flexible and powerful set up, with t a decent amp.

Paging @Merton who got my hooked on these wee cabs, and sold me one too, he has lots of experience of the One10 and Two10 cabs in proper gigging capacities too.

For the purposes you mention above though, I expect a One10 will be more than enough, and a Two10 might've been overkill anyway :)

Eude

2 hours ago, eude said:

Eude

That’s kind of what I wanted to hear thanks.

the One10 would be just the ticket for home playing.

If one10 isn’t enough for my needs then I don’t think I’d get a 2nd and instead I’d sell and get a Two10 as it’d be cheaper and less things to carry (or am I missing something about having 2xone10’s?)

• Like 1

You won’t get earth-shattering, gut-wrenching lows from a single One10 but if the band is sensible with volume levels it will be fine for a monitor. I’ve used a single One10 for gigs with a quiet band in all sorts of situations without PA support and it’s been fine.

I’ve used two One10s in a stack at rehearsal and gig (with PA support) with sensible and not-so-sensible bands, and they’ve been fine - amp either an Ashdown RM800 or Glock Blue Rock.

The change to a single Two10 was interesting. It’s ultimately identical, give or take, to a pair of One10s, so the scenario above still stands, but I’ve come to find I prefer it as a stand alone cab over a single One10. It’s not that big or heavy, and the second drive just makes everything a bit … “more better”. I originally planned to keep a One10 for one band and bijou rehearsals/gigs but decided pretty quickly that there wasn’t a huge benefit in doing so…

I’ve actually ended up getting a second Two10 because one of my bands is very loud (mainly the drummist) and we don’t put bass in the PA, so I decided it would be fun to destroy walls.

• Like 4

I should add … I can use a single Two10 with my Trace Elliot Elf at loud band rehearsals and still get told I’m too loud.

My main issue with loud band rehearsals thesedays is if so take my TE-1200 as it’s SO powerful I have to be careful not to destroy the cab!

• Like 1

I had a One10 bought for me as a birthday present a few years ago, and whilst it was a very nice gift, I had no real use for it at the time and then covid happened, so it sat in its bag doing nothing. Recently, though, I've been having quite a ruthless declutter, and rather than sell the One10, I decided to take BF at their word (that a One10 would shift as much air as a decent 1x15 or 2x10) and get another to pair up with the one I already had, and replace my Markbass 104HR rehearsal cabinet. It's turned out better than I could ever have hoped - they're just as loud, but so much clearer. Even the guy who runs the studios we rehearse at keeps coming for a listen and can't quite believe how good they sound - and not just 'for the size'.

So my take on it is that if you wouldn't have thought twice about using a conventional, commodity 1x15 or 2x10, you'll be fine with a One10, and if you'd have been reaching for a similar quality 4x10 or 2x15, then a pair of One10s will do the same job just as well if not better. I've been so impressed that I sold my Rumble 500 v3 combo and put the money towards ordering a Two10 for gigging with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RikiB said:

So i’m in two bands. 1 is a loud classic rock band and I’ll use the Six10 I have for that.

The other is a Motown,disco,dance wedding band that I was thinking I could just put a Shure beta 52a mic on a small cab (one10) and to all in the PA basically.

or just use the Six10 for both bands I’m unsure as the one10 on a stand plus mic stand is going to take up the same about it stage space anyway

For Motown, dance and covers I always use my Super Midget and Super Compact. I sometimes use the Super Compact on its own.

If you want a one cab does all IMO the SC or BB2 is perfect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eude said:

Eude

5 hours ago, eude said:

Eude

If one10 isn’t enough for my needs then I don’t think I’d get a 2nd and instead I’d sell and get a Two10 as it’d be cheaper and less things to carry (or am I missing something about having 2xone10’s?)

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

For Motown, dance and covers I always use my Super Midget and Super Compact. I sometimes use the Super Compact on its own.

If you want a one cab does all IMO the SC or BB2 is perfect.

You’re right re SC one-cab wonder.  I had one, but 2xOne10 gives me the option to travel light… on the bus to rehearsal, even. 

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1

I had a One10 and although well temperered it was just too tiddly even for my little country band, espcially outside in the summer.  But then so was the Two10 I replaced it with.  It took a MB 410 to meet all my needs. 

• Like 1

I use a Two10 and an Ashdown EVO II 500 and it is so loud that I hardly need to use PA support. Some gigs I don't even use the PA as there is no need. The input is usually at about 9 o'clock and the volume also at 9 o'clock. Incredible cab and amp combined.

• Like 2

I use a single One10 with my 20+ piece jazz band that includes a lot of brass and a reasonably loud drummer as long as we are playing inside.

Outside - it needs a second cab. As it happens I've got a One10T on order to complete the mini stack. We pay outside a few times a year, 99% of the time without any PA support. Bass and piano are the only things amplified.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I decided to take BF at their word (that a One10 would shift as much air as a decent 1x15 or 2x10) and get another to pair up with the one I already had

Its quite interesting to hear everyones take on the One10 and whether one can cut it or two is the best option. I was in a similar situation when I bought my first One10 as the OP. For home rehearsal its a great option. However even at light band rehersals I found a single One10 never quite lived up to BF's claim for me at least. My main cab at the time was a decent 1x15 ( a Mesa Diesel TL606 EV 1x15 cab.) Using the One10 as a stage monitor pointing directly at me and used in conjuction with the Mesa it couldn't be heard at all over the output from the Mesa. I added a second One 10 eventually thinking that would be a better match and it did improve the situation but both cabs together still couldn't match the vast low end output from a single Mesa 1x15 cab. In hindsight, I should have ordered one BF 2x10 cab from the outset as it would have been eminently more useable as a home use / light rehersal small gig cab and less expensive than a pair of One10's and only one cab to move around. The only benefit at the end of day with the One10 for me was the small lightweight formfactor and its lovely warm tone at low to med volumes as long as low frequencies were backed off on the EQ. If the OP is used to a 6x10, then a BF 2x10 would probably be a more useable option than going down the smaller two cab route.

• Thanks 1

The 10 inch cone BF cabs do have a low end roll off like an old Ampeg 8x10 - because that is what the 10 inch stuff has been designed to do.

If you want massive low end then one of the 12 inch cabs is the better choice, again because this is how Alex designed them (it has nothing to do with the speaker size in itself).

So if you want a walloping low end that knocks your teeth out when you slap - get a Super Compact or a Super Twin or BB3 etc. If you want a more trad / Ampeg sort of thing, get a cab with the 10s in it.

One of the reasons I sold my Super Twin was because I was forever lowering the bass on my amp. With the One10 I boost just a little bit and it works for me.

The 2 cones sound quite different and it's likely that one of them will be a far better choice than the other depending on the music being played.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eude said:

Eude

9 hours ago, eude said:

Eude

Many thanks guys. After reading the comments and mulling it over I think I’ll wait around for a used Two10 then I think if it was just for home or lower volume practice it would work and maybe to some extent work as a stage monitor but I think a Two10 would cover more and be a better monitor if nothing else.

I haven’t gigged the Six10 yet (have a gig Saturday though)

I traded my Big Twin 2 for the Six10 with Ander87. Great friendly guy btw.