Why become a member? ×

'84 Westone Thunder anyone?

Soledad

On ebay at the moment, Oxford collect only. Currently £93 !! (OK, it'll rise but how far). Also on ebay at the mo, another '84 Westone Thunder fretless, 1200.

One of these 2 is worth a look.

here's the fretted 100 quid one

s-l1600.jpeg

• Like 5

Great basses and a seemingly unending supply of them coming onto the market & keeping prices sensible.

Which is to say, there's an enormous discrepancy between what some people will ask for them and what most tend to change hands for. Ignore the silly prices - they tend to go for £150 - £200 or so. It was ever thus and looks like it will continue to be.

• Like 1

I very nearly bought one in 1984. It would have been my first 'proper' bass. They cost £140 new, which was exactly what I had in my piggy bank at the time. In the end I bought a Mighty Mite, Fender clone (the neck of which I still have attached to one of my favorite Frankenfenders 38 years later).

On 18/03/2023 at 00:38, Bassassin said:

Great basses and a seemingly unending supply of them coming onto the market & keeping prices sensible.

Which is to say, there's an enormous discrepancy between what some people will ask for them and what most tend to change hands for. Ignore the silly prices - they tend to go for £150 - £200 or so. It was ever thus and looks like it will continue to be.

They are really very good basses and I agree regarding the pice (I have a 1 and a 1A).

22 hours ago, gjones said:

I very nearly bought one in 1984. It would have been my first 'proper' bass. They cost £140 new, which was exactly what I had in my piggy bank at the time. In the end I bought a Mighty Mite, Fender clone (the neck of which I still have attached to one of my favorite Frankenfenders 38 years later).

Now, that Mighty Mite would've been something - it wasn't the Peter Cook model was it?

Mighty Mite Peter Cook.JPG

• Like 3

It was similar to the Peter Cook one. It had P and a Jazz pickups, a tone and a volume and a mini toggle switch. The body was sunburst mahogany and the neck maple. I don't know who it was put together by as I got it secondhand from a guy in a London reggae band. 

I got rid of the body, as it weighed a ton but I still have the pickups and the hardwear. The P pickup is in my Squier Precision and the neck is on one of my Jazzes. 

20230319_134748.jpg

• Like 2

I used to borrow a Thunder 1 (the non-active one) when I was starting out on bass. I loved the ‘1970s kitchen table’ look of it and it sounded great to my teenage ears. It weighed about as much as I did back then. Still wouldn’t mind trying another if I ever found one near where I live.