Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb Bass Thru Neck 4 String...

teejfunkymonk

Hello,

Im a newbie at this whole cyber chat thing but am in need of some help!

I am looking to purchase a brand new Warwick Thumb Thru Neck 4 String bass asap and discovered one at a shop called Four Four. They have it listed at £1999 which sounds good, anyone shed some light on if this will be a bargain or not?? GAK have them at £2449 but apparently have no stock.. The guys at Four Four have 1 left at that price so im tempted! If anyone knows of anywhere that sells em cheaper give me a heads up!

Heres the links to their websites!

www.gak.co.uk
www.fourfour.co.uk

Cheers
:)

[quote name='teejfunkymonk' post='473470' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:31 PM']Im after a new THRU neck dude!

Does £1999 sound like a good price?
:)[/quote]

Bear in mind that used prices on Warwicks at the moment are really deflated. Must be a demand thing, I don't know, but I wouldn't buy a brand new one because you will lose a lot of that value if you later decide to sell it on.

I bought my Thumb (neck-thru, 4-banger like the one you're after) for under £700 on eBay and that wasn't a flukey result. They tend to sell around that price on here too.

[quote name='teejfunkymonk' post='473477' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:40 PM']Hmmmm... Well I currently have a Thumb bolt on which I picked up secondhand but I had lots of problems with it so would like a new one with warranty! I know that sounds lame but im just as paranoid about cars! Aaaaah!

So do I phone fourfour?[/quote]

Eh? You've had one with problems... and you want to risk another??!

Yeah I purchased one on ebay, the nut fell apart, the saddles did too and had some electric problems with it too! Cost me a fortune for a repair tech to fix it and I had to wait weeks for the distributor to help me get the parts! Just be nice to have a decent warranty so that its not at my expense this time. I dropped my current bolt on about 2 months ago and I now have a huge crack from the neck pocket right through the centre of the bass!

Just want to buy a nice Brand New THRU Neck.. They feels amazing! :) :D :rolleyes:

Usually if you buy one off here it'll be a good 'un. I'd seriously recommend looking at the second hand market (particularly on here) unless money really is no object.

You could easily shave at least a grand off your outlay for a bass which will most likely be in excellent condition

Get two!

EDIT: Just seen your last post, if you're happy paying that and nowhere else has them in stock cheaper then i guess you have your answer. Make sure you check online for competition though, might be a good bargaining tool when you're in the shop

Edited by lemmywinks

The Warwick UK RRP price list is available here:

[url="http://www.warwick.de/media/prices/Warwick_Instr_UK.pdf"]http://www.warwick.de/media/prices/Warwick_Instr_UK.pdf[/url]

You can do a search for an official UK dealer using this page, any official dealer should be able to order in exactly what you want new from Warwick UK:

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/distribution/distribution.php?katID=14556&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/distribution...14556&cl=EN[/url]

Warwick did recently have to put UP all of their UK prices because the Euro was doing so well against the pound. When I bought my Thumb BO the THRU neck version was only about £1700 RRP, which you could get around £1400 if you shopped around (still talking brand new and with warranty). Second hand prices on Warwicks are a steal, and if I ever bought another one I would check the 2nd hand market for a few months before purchasing new again.

EDIT: OMG!!! I've just had a look at that official price list and the Thumb 4 NT is now RRP'd at £3209!!!!! They must have started using pure platinum for the truss rod or something.

Edited by peted

Don't get a new one - inferior instrument at an inflated price.

Look for a pre 1993 and you should pay no more than £900 for a good one. I've got a 1990 and it's quite a different beast to the later models.

I've bougt newer Warwicks and always regretted it.

[quote name='peted' post='473552' date='Apr 27 2009, 05:49 PM']EDIT: OMG!!! I've just had a look at that official price list and the Thumb 4 NT is now RRP'd at £3209!!!!! They must have started using pure platinum for the truss rod or something.[/quote]

:)

Don't get me wrong I love my Thumb but that is crazy money. Halve it and it would be more realistic.

Just found this:
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/products/de/Baesse/4-Saiter-Baesse/Warwick-Thumb-NT-4-String-Natural-Oil-Finish-gebraucht-.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/products/de/Ba...gebraucht-.html[/url]

Will result in about 1735 GBP plus additional cost to bring it to England. So I think 1999 is a good price for a new one.

Cheers
C.

I have to agree with the general consensus that in the present climate you had best be sure that the Thumb is your dream bass and you'll keep for life because if you are buying new then you'll take a MASSIVE hit if you decide you don't like it.

I won't start a debate on the 'vintage' (if that term can be used for an instrument 20-25 years old) v 'new' but I have to say that of the folks who have contributed to your thread you'll find that 90% of them would buy an 'old' used Thumb over a new or nearly new bass any day of the week! They aren't my cup of tea (though heaven knows I've owned enough of them :) ) but if you take the time to look for a used bass, I can assure you there are far more good uns out there than there are duffers.

All that said, if it is new you must have then I can't find a retailer selling for less than £2k. :rolleyes:

[quote]I have to say that of the folks who have contributed to your thread you'll find that 90% of them would buy an 'old' used Thumb over a new or nearly new bass any day of the week![/quote]

I'm a little skeptical about getting too hung up with vintage - nostalgia ain't what it used to be, as they say. :)

Anyway, nearly new was just fine for me. Never had a single problem with my noughtie 'wicks. The wider necks work for me and both are well put together.

Edited by rjb