Why become a member? ×

Tonerider P pickup vs Entwistle PBXN?

Paul S

I’ve got the tonerider in one of my precision’s Paul , it was big improvement on the standard mex P pickup, a lot cleaner sounding  especially in the lows and highs, can’t remember what I paid but it wasn’t very expensive 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got the tonerider in one of my precision’s Paul , it was big improvement on the standard mex P pickup, a lot cleaner sounding  especially in the lows and highs, can’t remember what I paid but it wasn’t very expensive 

Ta.  I bought mine from the Tonerider website, £35 plus postage, which is more than reasonable.  Gonna stick it in my HB PB shorty to try and give it a little more bite.

• Like 1

I have a Tonerider in my Revelation fretless P.  Sounds great, more classic than the Ents I'm pretty sure it replaced, and with more depth to the sound.  For a while I replaced the Tonerider with a Bareknuckle of dubious provenance, bought on here.  Probably not a fair comparison because despite being serviced by BK the pups had a volume drop ino the E string. If Bareknuckles don't all have that issue I'd say they were better than the Tonerider, but then they're 3x the price.  Ents are fine but quite hot, and don't bear A/Bing with better alternatives IME/IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/02/2023 at 16:20, Paul S said:

Astonishingly quick service, I now have it in my grubby hands 26 hours after I ordered it.

I'm in the middle of building a P bass and was wondering what the Toneriders are like, could you give your thoughts on them please?

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I'm in the middle of building a P bass and was wondering what the Toneriders are like, could you give your thoughts on them please?

Cheers.

I haven't done the deed yet but will update the thread when I have. :) 

24 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I'm in the middle of building a P bass and was wondering what the Toneriders are like...

What sort of sound are you after... a few to consider... cost order £18 - £55... and all get a lot of praise. My Bitsa's and Projects include some of the below...

Wilkinson Ceramic or Alnico 5 

Maida Vale Low Rider Alnico 4 - via Reverb

Entwistle Ceramic or Neo

ToneRider 

Kent Armstrong Ceramic or Alnico

Softest Warmest... Maida Vale.

Mid ground... Tonerider / Kent Armstrong Alnico

Agressive... Entwistle C then Neo MONSTER MAGNETS!

Edited by PaulThePlug

25 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

What sort of sound are you after... a few to consider... cost order £18 - £55... and all get a lot of praise. My Bitsa's and Projects include some of the below...

Wilkinson Ceramic or Alnico 5 

Maida Vale Low Rider Alnico 4 - via Reverb

Entwistle Ceramic or Neo

ToneRider 

Kent Armstrong Ceramic or Alnico

Softest Warmest... Maida Vale.

Mid ground... Tonerider / Kent Armstrong Alnico

Agressive... Entwistle C then Neo MONSTER MAGNETS!

I'm actually building two at the moment and I've already purchased the Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage P Bass Pickup Alnico for one of them, I've used this particular pickup before and they sound great, very much like the original Fender pickups.

For the other one, I might take a punt on the Maida Vale Low Rider Alnico 4, £19.95 posted isn't a lot of money to lose if I find it's not for me.

1 minute ago, thebrig said:

I'm actually building two at the moment and I've already purchased the Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage P Bass Pickup Alnico for one of them, I've used this particular pickup before and they sound great, very much like the original Fender pickups.

For the other one, I might take a punt on the Maida Vale Low Rider Alnico 4, £19.95 posted isn't a lot of money to lose if I find it's not for me.

I went back to Reverb to purchase the Maida Vale Low Rider Alnico 4 and they are sold out. 😕

I've the Maida Vale in my SR300 P Conversion... not shy at 10k but balanced with the Alnico IV... They are also 4 wire so series parallel and all that... also matching Stacked J.

Drop David Adams a message via Reverb, please Mention Basschat and my build... he wound me one... think it's a one-man small operation.

Edited by PaulThePlug

Okay, Tonerider is in place and I've had a noodle.  Very pleased with the upgrade, it is sounding how I want the bass to sound and is everything I hoped for.  The HB PB Shorty was OK with the stock pickup but with a sound that was a bit more 'vintage' than I aim for, not enough edge.  As a consequence I wasn't using it.  The Tonerider has given it more bite and a fatter sound.  Much more presence.  But, roll off the tone a bit, it will still do Vintage if needed, just a bigger version.  Less aggressive than the Entwistle PBXN but more rounded and - dare I say - better.  At least, more what I was looking for.  To be honest, as far as my bad ears go, it doesn't sound a whole lot diffeerent to the Fender Custom Shop 62.  For the money it is astonishing and transformed a back up into a really good gigable bass for by blues/rock band.  For around £100 total outlay, too.  Wow.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Paul S said:

The Tonerider has given it more bite and a fatter sound.  Much more presence.  But, roll off the tone a bit, it will still do Vintage if needed, just a bigger version.

Good description Paul, that’s how I found it, playing reggae it really sounded better than the stock pickup , I also had the cap changed in my P to a 0.1 I think, to give me an even warmer sound , I get really nice lows now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Good description Paul, that’s how I found it, playing reggae it really sounded better than the stock pickup , I also had the cap changed in my P to a 0.1 I think, to give me an even warmer sound , I get really nice lows now 

That is interesting, Tony.  I'll see how it sits first but it would be an easy thing to do.  Well, for someone whose hands don't shake as much as mine it would :D 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...