Why become a member? ×

N(ish)BD!

KingBollock

I actually received this bass at the beginning of the year but I had some plans for it, so it has taken a while to get around to photographing it.

Please keep in mind that I bought this for a Hair Metal (mostly Motley Crue if the drummer has his way) style covers band...

FullFront2.thumb.jpg.88d83cfed09c518f23bfe87b62c51302.jpgRear2.thumb.jpg.429c0530f355d782acacb9f33fdafe8c.jpg

When I play, you can see on my picking forearm tattoos of a Mudflap Girl, playing cards and flaming dice. I have represented these on the bass. I have also made a truss rod cover in the shape of tribal style flames (the photo of it didn't come out very well). Also, my lair and PC are themed in black with red accents.

I am thinking of making a t-shirt (probably a vest) with "I Ate Vince Neil" on it, because I ain't no Nikki Sixx!

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Can't say I am any big fan of Mötley Crüe. or hair metal in general for that matter, but that bass looks pretty freaking awesome!

Thank you!

I thought I’d get well and truly roasted… All the additions are removable. I made the scratch plate and truss rod cover myself, so I still have the original parts. Just in case anyone is worried…

3 hours ago, KingBollock said:

Thank you!

I thought I’d get well and truly roasted… All the additions are removable. I made the scratch plate and truss rod cover myself, so I still have the original parts. Just in case anyone is worried…

I'm sure some people would be offended but I doubt they would turn up to one of your gigs.  Fantastic job mate.

The bass now has a name, too: Angelbane. 

I have a habit of naming my instruments. I don’t force it, though, it has to come naturally, some of them don’t have names because they don’t have the right personality. How pretentious does that sound?!

She joins the ranks along side Ravensfriend, Gloomborn and Mourneblade.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greentext said:

I'm stealing all these names for my basses, I have no shame

Also love a thunderbird, awesome with a pick

Well, I stole two of them, so go for it!

Ravensfriend is a sword from my favourite fantasy trilogy A Land Fit For Heroes by Richard K Morgan.

The sword’s full name is:

“I am Welcomed in the Home of Ravens and Other Scavengers in the Wake of Warriors, I am Friend to Carrion Crows and Wolves. I am Carry Me and Kill with Me, and Die with Me Where the Road Ends. I am not the Honeyed Promise of Length of Life in Years to Come, I am the Iron Promise of Never Being a Slave.”

Mourneblade is another fantasy sword from the Elric of Melniboné books by Michael Moorcock.

One of my PCs and it’s drives is also named after mythical swords from books and games. (My main PC and it’s drives is named after ships and stations from the Alien franchise)

Gloomborn is just something that popped into my head while looking at the bass. It’s finish puts in my mind the image of beetles with iridescent, shiny carapaces, that live in the dark.

Edited by KingBollock

13 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Ravensfriend is a sword from my favourite fantasy trilogy A Land Fit For Heroes by Richard K Morgan.

“I am Welcomed in the Home of Ravens and Other Scavengers in the Wake of Warriors, I am Friend to Carrion Crows and Wolves. I am Carry Me and Kill with Me, and Die with Me Where the Road Ends. I am not the Honeyed Promise of Length of Life in Years to Come, I am the Iron Promise of Never Being a Slave.”

Mourneblade is another fantasy sword from the Elric of Melniboné books by Michael Moorcock.

One of my PCs and it’s drives is also named after mythical swords from books and games. (My main PC and it’s drives is named after ships and stations from the Alien franchise)

Gloomborn is just something that popped into my head while looking at the bass. It’s finish puts in my mind the image of beetles with iridescent, shiny carapaces, that live in the dark.

Certainly more solemn and prodigious than the names of my basses: 

My main Ibanez Mikro Bass: "Dud Bottomfeeder"

And my Harley Benton GuitarBass (take on the Fender Bass VI concept): "The Noodle"

3 hours ago, KingBollock said:

awesome thanks for sharing, gonna give those books a google! i enjoy a good fantasy read myself!

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

That's a statement of intent, right there... 🙂

The only thing I'd be tempted to do would be to bang some ebony woodstain on the fretboard for the None More Black completeness of it all... 

That has been, and continues to be, considered. It is very tempting. My Warlock (Ravensfriend) has an ebony fretboard and it looks great.

The bass came with black tape wound strings on it, which looked very cool. But I need to keep this bass tuned to D standard, so I had to change them. I might see if I can find some other black ones in the right gauge. Though the bridge really didn’t like the .120 string!

Edited by KingBollock
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, greentext said:

awesome thanks for sharing, gonna give those books a google! i enjoy a good fantasy read myself!

You should be aware that they are very, very Grimdark. They are very graphic and can be rather uncomfortable. Richard K Morgan usually does sci-fi, which I also love. He wrote the Altered Carbon books that the TV series is based on.

On a lighter side, I have started reading Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn series. I have temporarily put those on hold because a sci-if novel that I have been waiting a long time for, just came out (Jack McDevitt’s A Village In The Sky).

Another fantasy series, a new one (just the one book so far) that is interesting, is Clay Harmon’s Flames Of Mira. Which I enjoyed a lot. I can’t wait for the second book.

Other favourites, more traditional, have been Dragonlance and Death Gate Saga series from Weiss and Hickman.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KingBollock said:

Anyone got any advice on the best way to go about (or the best ways to not go about) staining (dyeing?) the fretboard ebony?

You can get black wood dye, I had some a few years back which worked fine on a guitar body, can't recall the make but similar must be available if you look on 'tinternet

Crimson guitars do wood dyes, check them out? 

12 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You can get black wood dye, I had some a few years back which worked fine on a guitar body, can't recall the make but similar must be available if you look on 'tinternet

Crimson guitars do wood dyes, check them out? 

Thanks. I only asked because I think I remember someone saying they had tried it but ran into difficulty. It may have been that the dye was rubbing off or something, I can’t remember the details. Why I think it would be any different to work with than any other wood, I don’t know. Unless it’s a lacquered fretboard, which this isn’t.

5 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Thanks. I only asked because I think I remember someone saying they had tried it but ran into difficulty. It may have been that the dye was rubbing off or something, I can’t remember the details. Why I think it would be any different to work with than any other wood, I don’t know. Unless it’s a lacquered fretboard, which this isn’t.

If its a fast type dye it should be fine, I assume you'd likely oil the f/board with something afterwards too to finish, which would also help.. 

Another thing I've used successfully on wood is shoe or leather dye.. As long as its the more solvent type that soaks in

Edited by Waddo Soqable

On 23/02/2023 at 19:14, KingBollock said:

The bass now has a name, too: Angelbane. 

I have a habit of naming my instruments. I don’t force it, though, it has to come naturally, some of them don’t have names because they don’t have the right personality. How pretentious does that sound?!

She joins the ranks along side Ravensfriend, Gloomborn and Mourneblade.

Glad you didn't go for "Betsy" 😄

Good idea for a thread... named basses with pics.

Another question…

The mudflap Girl that is on the scratchplate. I did it in white because that is the colour usually used on the original plates, both the Goth and the Gibson one (which came installed on this bass, with the Goth plate also included). Originally it was the only thing I was going to do to the bass (other than changing the machine heads), but I got carried away… Like I said, my life seems to have a black and red aesthetic, so when I started thinking of other things to add, I went for red.

So, should I change the Mudflap Girl to red, too? The people that have seen it, that I have asked, have said to leave it white. But I’m not sure…

Also, would either of these be just that bit too much?

C47AA787-246F-469C-B8C9-650FCAD06C96.jpeg.757e5964734b5235da4517da93a64fc1.jpeg

0382C6DF-7A79-46C9-8BCB-6D223FF3A299.jpeg.24dafcc47ff93b81db329b6d56360d25.jpeg

I already have the card suits on Gloomborn (my Cort 5 string).

I will try to get a better photo of the truss rod cover, which is cut like tribal style flames. I did try to do the flames with the scratchplate as well, but my scroll saw died half way through. I fixed the saw (it was a dodgy motor brush) but I didn’t have a lot of acrylic left and didn’t want to bugger it up (which I did do a couple of times because the screw holes are quite close to the edge of the plate and the acrylic is very brittle. I had to be very, very careful how tight I screwed the screws in) so kept it simple.

Edited by KingBollock
Actually, thinking about it, I could just try changing the colour in Paintshop Pro.

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Is the mudflap girl a Spinal Tap reference by any chance?

Nope. I have never actually been able to get all the way through that film. I have tried several times, but I just find it incredibly dull (now comes the roasting!).

I don’t know when I started using the Mudflap Girl image, or where I first saw it. When I first started getting tattoos, I decided that I wasn’t going to get a load of skulls and dragons, because it was just going to be a phase that I would grow out of and I’d end up regretting it. One thing I knew I would never grow out of, was scantily clad ladies… I am covered in boobies! I have a Mudflap Girl just above my right wrist, where it can be seen when I am playing.

Unfortunately, I actually regret not going full on skulls and dragons ( mostly skulls). I do have a couple of dragons and skulls. However, over thirty years later, I am still skull mad. I have quite a collection of skulls, from tiny pin badges to a huge (though not full size, sadly) Tyrannosaurus skull. Most of them are resin, but I do have a couple of real fox skulls and one from a rat.

I do still like scantily clad ladies, though, so I was right about that.

• Like 1