Why become a member? ×

Dual bass soft cases?

woodyratm

Hi folks,

I’m considering taking two basses to gigs - just in case anything happens to one whilst performing.

I use hard cases normally but the venues we play, are quite small. So multiple hard cases are probs a bad plan. 

I have a fusion dual gig bag but it’s a bit bulky I feel.

Are there any recommendations for a less chonk option? I know mono have their dual case which looks alright, and I’ve seen the gator pg one. Are there any others to consider? Only goes from car to venue. Ideally enough space for a cable, pedal sized wireless and two Hercules small stands. 

I bit expensive but i would recommend checking harvest out. 

http://www.harvest-guitar.com/en/Bass-Bags-For-Two/

I bought the the leather one years back for the same reason, and whilst not used as much as i expected it is useful for carrying one bass and clothes accessories in the spare compartment. A bit heavy before the basses go in and my basses weigh between 12 and 14lbs.

Oops just noted you said less chunky, the leather one is really chunky. But will leave this post for reference. 

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Thanks 1

I think by the very nature of being a double gigbag, you will struggle to find what you’re looking for..unless you sacrifice protection & padding?
I use a Gatorpro dual gigbag when travelling by car, I looked at the Mono but wanted more pockets & storage for Ipads & IEM’s.

Previous to that I used a Warwick Rockbag dual gigbag which, providing they still make them, might fit the bill?
It’s considerably lighter than the Gator, with less padding, but provided enough protection when travelling by car..

It also lasted me 10 years..

Fender were doing a lightweight double bag & the likes of Gear4music do their own proprietary offerings as well?

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've got three different dual cases but TBH they rarely leave my home. 

Carrying two basses in one case is a bit more tiring than you might imagine. 

I had and Ibanez one for a while that rarely left the house as it was so unwieldy. It even had wheels built it to make it easier to cart around, but I just found it easier to use separate gig bags for each bass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

Gear4music  - great price, in comparison

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272737219234

Another vote for this - mine has had a pretty hard life and it's still going strong. It's also just under £76 (incl postage) if you buy it from G4M direct: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dual-Bass-Guitar-Gig-Bag-by-Gear4music/1II6?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQiArsefBhCbARIsAP98hXSkmsMp8TsEsDmaBgfBVbWOT1FFtFb70l2uDucAl-LmaDadQ818bVkaAisWEALw_wcB

Edited by rushbo

On 19/02/2023 at 21:40, Greg Edwards69 said:

I had and Ibanez one for a while that rarely left the house as it was so unwieldy. It even had wheels built it to make it easier to cart around, but I just found it easier to use separate gig bags for each bass. 

I think I have one of these in grey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use an iGig dual bag (bought, if I recall from Bass Direct a long time ago.) It does a fine job without being too bulky and has plenty of space for extra bits and bobs.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be around any more from a brief web search, but I see Bass Direct sell something similar - Gator Progo Bass x2.  Not cheap, though and I don't have any experience on whether they're any good.

Edited by benthos
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

i thought in my wisdom that a dual padded bass case would be a great idea for gigs so i can take a spare bass... bought me a Gator X2 Progo (i think that's what it's called)
it is very well made - provides loads of protection - but i soon realised 2 basses in 1 case is actually awkward to pack in the car as it's quite deep and not lite to carry at all
1 bass in each hand in soft cases (looks like hard cases but they're soft) is much easier to carry around and easier to fit in the car for gigs with other stuff and thinner oddly..

i do like the gator x2 thing - i just don't think it'll leave the house again which is a shame (just don't tell the wife i spent £170ish quid on something i'm never going to use lol)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigJHW said:

i thought in my wisdom that a dual padded bass case would be a great idea for gigs so i can take a spare bass... bought me a Gator X2 Progo (i think that's what it's called)
it is very well made - provides loads of protection - but i soon realised 2 basses in 1 case is actually awkward to pack in the car as it's quite deep and not lite to carry at all
1 bass in each hand in soft cases (looks like hard cases but they're soft) is much easier to carry around and easier to fit in the car for gigs with other stuff and thinner oddly..

i do like the gator x2 thing - i just don't think it'll leave the house again which is a shame (just don't tell the wife i spent £170ish quid on something i'm never going to use lol)

Yeah this is kinda what I’m thinking. Might go back to my mono bag and use that and maybe get a second if I take two basses.

thanks all

6 hours ago, BigJHW said:

As mentioned above, I stopped using my old Ibanez double bag for similar reasons.  I use two cases at the moment, a slim warwick rock bag for my spare bass and a big, heavy duty iGig bag for my main bass. This is a great case, that I bought years ago because it could hold so much stuff (even a markbass head in the main front pocket), and I can carry my minimum gear for a gig or rehearsal in one trip (if I'm not bring a backup bass) Actually, it's so sturdy and chunky that I've had to double check it's actually got a bass in it on several occasions. 

However, due to the bulk of this single bass case, I'm considering changing this strategy.  I don't particularly need to carry everything in one trip. So I'm thinking about swapping this case for a slimmer model, such as a Mono case and use another bag for the bits that won't fit in it - such as extension leads. (Actually, I could probably better distribute the bits I keep in my bass case and helix case).