Why become a member? ×

Finger trouble

FinnDave

I've been a bit quiet on here recently (much to most people's relief, I'm sure). The reason is that I haven't been playing much as it has become increasingly painful for my left (fretting) hand, specifically the index finger, which is probably the hardest worker when I am playing. 

After much persuasion from my wife, I saw my doctor a few days ago and it has been diagnosed as osteoarthritis, so I am pretty much stuck with it. Apparently it flares up from time to time (which is what it's doing at the moment) and can be apparently OK between flare ups, but everyone reacts differently. The best help for it is rest, so I haven't played any of my basses since the last gig I played, 6 or 7 weeks ago. I was asked to play another with the same band in about 10 days time, but when I sat down with a bass today I could only manage about 2-3 minutes of fairly restrained playing before it became too painful to continue. I sent a text to the bandleader about next week's gig and told him I was unable to guarantee than I could play two 45 minute sets (in fact, I am convinced I can't), so it would be better for him to find another dep.

I am sure I am not alone in having this problem, it is quite probable that it has been caused by bass playing. I started when I was about 15, which is now 50 years ago.

My immediate plan is to leave the bass gear as it is and see what happens over the next few months, but I would be interested to know how other players have coped with this sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Check my thread  about arthritis for some valuable advice on managing the condition. 

I've been having similar issues recently - I've come to the conclusion that I'm unlikely to recover from the condition so it's a matter of managing it for the foreseeable. 

Time and tide..

• Like 3

I have it in my right so doesn’t seem to affect me too much. However a while ago it was very painful and I couldn’t grip properly. My GP arranged a steroid injection which ws initially even more painful and then like magic no more pain. It was good for several years. I haven’t asked for another, it’s manageable and I have heard Doctors aren’t giving them any more but I think it’s worth asking.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I will discuss that with my doctor next time I am able to see her. I had a chat with our guitarist as I know that he suffers from it as well (he is a truck mechanic, so his hands get well abused) and he said he has been taking tumeric supplements for a some time and it has really helped. I am trying it now as well, but too soon to say whether it works for me or not.

Tumeric has helped me. I've been talking it for years as it is good for the immune system as well. The secret is a decent strength and one without fillers. My chiropractor, who is incredibly knowledgeable on health matters, told me to get Double Strength Turmeric from Pureclinica. It's the only one she would recommend.

I also occasionally use Flexiseq gel, which does help when it's really bad.

The biggest help was moving to a 32" scale bass. It's unbelievable what difference a shorter scale can make. As a result I've just sold all my standard scale basses and only play medium scale now.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2023 at 16:01, FinnDave said:

I think my memory must be going as well...

Perhaps a good time to mention that 50 quid you owe me...?

Seriously though, has the doc recommended anything useful medication wise that might help?  I suffer with my hip and was jolly pleased to discover that it responds pretty well to good old fashioned ibuprofen. Very gratifying, as not on,y is it inexpensive there are no side effects for me in moderate doses of the sort I experience with the prescription cocodamol, naproxen etc.

I think you also have memory problems, I paid that back last year!

The doctor suggested ibuprofen gel, which does seem to help a bit, but still early days. She also recommended paracetamol in preference to ibuprofen tablets.

• Haha 1

My thumbs go to the point where I was in constant pain. Two days of Boswellia (Frankiinsense) knocked the pain on the head.

A couple of hefty doses of ibuprofen or a few days of boswellia deal with any flare ups.

Since taking daily glocosamine and chondroitin I haven't had flare ups.

While rest might help moving the joint is ESSENTIAL. I actually found playing the bass helped considerably.

My brother mashed his thumbs up with guitar and mountain biking.  Had steroid injections for the last several years, but had the trapezioid removed from his right thumb about three months ago. Recovery has been fast and painless (unusual - they say his guitar playing helped) they've encouraged him to do what playing he can as part of therapy after the first few weeks). Thumb is a bit shorter and only about 80% strength, but no pain and appears to have decent mobility. Playing his first full gig (he's done a few guest spots) since teh op toinight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

Am I right in thinking you ride motorbikes in this cold weather?

That will be your clutch hand then. What do you think could that be helping to upset your hand?

It is possible, but I don't go out if it's below 5 degrees, and only on my V Strom with hand guards and heated grips, so I suspect it is unlikely to be the cause. I rode for nearly 40 years (not non-stop!) in all weathers with no protection on my hands other than decent gloves, that might have contributed to the problem. The doctor puts it down to getting old, but I'm only 65, still a youngster really!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

It is possible, but I don't go out if it's below 5 degrees, and only on my V Strom with hand guards and heated grips, so I suspect it is unlikely to be the cause. I rode for nearly 40 years (not non-stop!) in all weathers with no protection on my hands other than decent gloves, that might have contributed to the problem. The doctor puts it down to getting old, but I'm only 65, still a youngster really!

I believe if you persist a little at a time with hand exercises as well you will play through it.

I had some wrist and finger troubles as well as balance issues a few years back. Got blood tests at the daktari and it turned out to be Vitamin B12 deficiency.

I now take B12 shots and have no problems

Might be worth asking

Edited by Ralf1e

Voltorol was pretty good for very bad Osteo after i dislocated my hip in a car RTA.  It didnt work for ever though, as i had to have a new hip.

The other stuff is Glucosamine.  I cant say whether this stuff works for everyone, but it worked for my dog.  She had a bad limp after running around, and it showed up more after she had rested and couldnt stand on one of her back legs for 30 seconds or so until it eased off.  Vet diagnosed a problem with the joint in her rear knee.

She started on expensive vet prescribed drugs, one of which made her a bit sick, so i did some extensive  research online for a more natural medicine.  This was 25 years ago-ish, and i discovered Glucosamine was a thing for people.  I sourced some from a company called Healthspan in Jersey.  I weighed my girl, and reduced the Glucasomine accordingly.  Within 3 months, i couldnt tell she had arthritis, it was that much of a revelation. She stayed on Glucosamine for the rest of her life

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

Voltorol was pretty good for very bad Osteo after i dislocated my hip in a car RTA.  It didnt work for ever though, as i had to have a new hip.

The other stuff is Glucosamine.  I cant say whether this stuff works for everyone, but it worked for my dog.  She had a bad limp after running around, and it showed up more after she had rested and couldnt stand on one of her back legs for 30 seconds or so until it eased off.  Vet diagnosed a problem with the joint in her rear knee.

She started on expensive vet prescribed drugs, one of which made her a bit sick, so i did some extensive  research online for a more natural medicine.  This was 25 years ago-ish, and i discovered Glucosamine was a thing for people.  I sourced some from a company called Healthspan in Jersey.  I weighed my girl, and reduced the Glucasomine accordingly.  Within 3 months, i couldnt tell she had arthritis, it was that much of a revelation. She stayed on Glucosamine for the rest of her life

Can you recommend a local vet?

I took Glucosamine and Cod Liver Oil before I had my hip resurfacing. Now the new hip is the only bit of me that works properly.

When I had trouble playing with my bony claws I found it easier to play fretless. I had two awesome active Warwicks and played in rock bands… just the same as a fretted and had no complaints from band mambers. Never played a mwwaaahhh in my life.

Also… it has been very cold lately… a bit of warmer weather may help.

• Like 2