Why become a member? ×

Final bits for a pedalboard. Any tips or must have bits?

lidl e

About to order up all the cabling for my board. Velcro, ties, etc as well.

Is there anything i shouldnt forget? Ive got the board, power supply, an expression pedal or two, and of course my pedals.

i might get a few toppers for some smaller pedals as well.

Flat cables or roundies? 

Will i regret getting all harley benton cables? 

I can spend about 6 quid per patch cable id say budget wise as i think im going to need about 30 of varying sizes.

I want to get it all in one shot so i dont forget anything and have to pay to ship one or two bits i didnt think of.

Cheers!

I swapped over to EBS flat cables. They seem to have the smallest plugs on them.

Got me a few extra inches over the full board.

Regarding the power supply - have you checked the current draw of the pedals you are going to use?

You need to make sure that each pedal can draw what it needs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I swapped over to EBS flat cables. They seem to have the smallest plugs on them.

Got me a few extra inches over the full board.

Regarding the power supply - have you checked the current draw of the pedals you are going to use?

You need to make sure that each pedal can draw what it needs.

Yeah, i think i'm alright on the power draw! None of my pedals exceeds the "port" they are plugged into.

I do have one pedal rhat takes 18v 300 mah, but this only puts out 220mah in the 18v slot so ill have to use the adapter plugged in seperately.

I went for the harley benton power supply. the pro 10AC pro as it had a USB port which i need to run a midi adapter.

So flat cables, yeah? Those EBS do look good. is that the same EBS that has made those pedals? I assume it must be. I have an apparently incorrect idea that flat cable aren't as good. Strictly in my head i'd guess. I don't even think i've ever seen a comaprison. 

Edited by lidl e

21 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Here's a question.

If i use a cable that combines two 9v outlets into one 18 and they are 250 mah each, does it double it to 500 mah as well as 18v?

I think this is equivalent to a batteries in series vs in parallel question. So my understanding is that doing that will double voltage, but your mah will stay at 250mah.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think this is equivalent to a batteries in series vs in parallel question. So my understanding is that doing that will double voltage, but your mah will stay at 250mah.

Ok, i have the option of 9v at 450mah so i can use those. Its for the M2!

5 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Ok, i have the option of 9v at 450mah so i can use those. Its for the M2!

That does have an 18V power supply with it - is that not convenient? I guess you're using one PSU for your whole board?

PS Recommend checking out the Harley Benton IsoPro PSUs - fantastic value and pretty slimline to fit under most pedal boards, with provided switch options for 9V/12/18V on a couple of the outputs.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That does have an 18V power supply with it - is that not convenient? I guess you're using one PSU for your whole board?

Exactly.

Now look at this, it is a switchable port 9/12/18 but says 450 mah underneath. 

The product page on thomann  says Output 7 - 10: switchable 9/12/18 V DC @ max. 9 V @ 450 mA / 12 V @ 330 mA / 18 V @ 220 mA (individually isolated)

So it looks like on those ports the mah goes down as the voltage is switched up. Youd thunk it would say that on the tin

20230117_182922.thumb.jpg.cbb39e8f9a54c41f06fed28d6ffb4570.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I guess the mA halving as the voltage doubles follows from what we were discussing earlier. But, yes, it would be helpful for them to spell out the right current with each voltage.

Im glad i started this thread! I was running the M2 with too low of mah!

Now im staring at my powersupply figuring out what will go where. Even doubling up the two ports i think l still have more than enough room.

Edited by lidl e

Don't so what i did and place all my pedals on, cut all the wires to length etc only to realise there wasn't enough space between some of the pedals to safely stomp them individually.

The EBS patch cables are fantastic, much smaller profile that the custom ones i soldered too and they come in enough sizes that for most boards you can minimise mess excess wiring. 

• Like 2

With that many outputs on the power supply, I'm guessing you won't be daisy chaining anything.
But in case anyone else is reading this thread for ideas - if you've got a daisy chain with more plugs than you've got pedals, avoid mishaps by finding something to cover the spares plugs. More info here:

Edited by MartinB
Typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

With that many outputs on the power supply, I'm guessing you won't be daisy chaining anything.
But in case anyone else is reading this thread for ideas - if you've got a daisy chain with more plugs than you've got pedals, avoid mishaps by finding something to cover the spares plugs. More info here:

Thats a very good shout!