Why become a member? ×

Classic Bass No. 4

cytania

[quote name='deaver' post='471794' date='Apr 24 2009, 07:30 PM']The Bass Player book lists 'The Great Basses' in this (chronological) order:

1951 Fender Precision
1959 Fender Precision
1960 Fender Jazz
1964 Hofner 500/1
1967 Rickenbacker 4001S
1971 Alembic
1979 Music Man Stingray

Who am I to disagree[/quote]

Sure, that is almost right, just speaking chronologically and from a US perspective. However they missed the definative 60's P bass, the '62 in sunburst rosewood and tortie ..

Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser might nominate the Gibson EB0/3 as a defining bass in the 1960's as well.

There certainly were hardly any Alembics in the UK in the 70's but was that the first active basses?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='471586' date='Apr 24 2009, 03:08 PM']1. Precision
2. Jazz
3. Rick
4. Thunderbird
5. Hofner[/quote]

I'd go with this. There's room for a 6# being a Gibson EB0/EB3, after that, that's it. And that precision would be a '59 revamp model as well, as that is probably the most commonly used bass on the planet, with the Jazz being second.

Edit:

If we're doing it proper for basses, it really should read:
1) Upright bass
2) P-bass
3) Jazz
4) Rick
5) Gibson Eb 0/3 and T-Bird
6) Hofner

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='cytania' post='471818' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:05 PM']Thunderbird, could be. Did the originals sound as good as recent issues? I always think of the tone as like a ball bearing shot from a steel cable catapult. Kapling![/quote]

My '65 sounds like a Thornton's champagne truffle being fired from Ms. Dita Von Teese's basque strap into the bass section of the London Philharmonic.
Possibly. :rolleyes:

[quote name='cytania' post='471818' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:05 PM']Then of course isn't the FenderBird an inditement, saying 'Nice pickups, cool body shape, shame about the neck profile'?[/quote]

No :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='471978' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:28 AM']Edit:

If we're doing it proper for basses, it really should read:
1) Upright bass
2) P-bass
3) Jazz
4) Rick
5) Gibson Eb 0/3 and T-Bird
6) Hofner[/quote]

Or

1) Upright bass
2) Brass bass
3) P-bass
4) Jazz
5) Rick
6) Gibson Eb 0/3 and T-Bird
7) Hofner

[quote]My '65 sounds like a Thornton's champagne truffle being fired from Ms. Dita Von Teese's basque strap into the bass section of the London Philharmonic.[/quote]

So that would be Twung > Splut > NomNomNomNomNomNomNomNomNom?

(Fact fans: It's a gorgeous bass - I've seen it and I knows)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='472159' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:21 PM']So that would be Twung > Splut > NomNomNomNomNomNomNomNomNom?[/quote]

Yup. It's a unique sound, and you'll all be jealous this time next year when I'm famous..... :)

Hope that killer rig of yours is coming together, skank!

[quote name='OldGit' post='471944' date='Apr 24 2009, 11:41 PM']There certainly were hardly any Alembics in the UK in the 70's but was that the first active basses?[/quote]
[quote name='deaver' post='471953' date='Apr 25 2009, 12:17 AM']First 'active from the ground up' according to the book.[/quote]

The Burns TR2 bass was made in 1963 which was manufactured with a preamp onboard. Goes without saying that the Alembic was much more sophisticated though.

[quote name='foal30' post='472605' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:39 AM']L2 Steinberger surely...[/quote]

I was just reading through this and was surprised nobody had mentioned the Steinberger before.

Just a question though: how long does it take before a bass becomes a classic? And does popularity have anything to do with classic status?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='472660' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:26 PM']he picked up the cheaper copy because he couldn't afford the more expensive Gibson.[/quote]

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='472654' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:17 PM']Doesn't matter.

McCartney picked up a Hofner, not a Gibson.[/quote]