Why become a member? ×

Ricky's Had His Head Chopped Off.. BOSH..!

Waddo Soqable

On 01/02/2023 at 13:01, lemmywinks said:

That's a really interesting project btw, is the bass still going?

Long-gone. I only bought it on a whim because it looked cool, kept it for a couple of months then popped it on Ebay. Quite enjoyed the experience of making a half-decent player.

• Like 2

I had a look at a mate's router earlier ,which I have the offer to borrow ( I've also been offered loan of another from one of the generous folks on the forum too! )

This thing was a bit of a monster and tbh having seen one in action, in context, I don't fancy attempting the use of one here.

I'm going to go back to the idea of doing the slots for the bridge/tuner units manually as demonstrated on the previous page, using a hand operated drill bit and chisel, file, sanding etc.

I reckon this slowly slowly approach is going to give me more control and hopefully remove the risk of it all going horribly wrong at high speed !

I've scratch marked round the units as a guide for drilling and chiseling, plus I've plugged the old screw holes with cocktail sticks and glue so as not to have the drill bit go off course by following the holes.

My weapon of choice for drilling is my olde hand brace with a suitably sized bit..this looks a bit dramatic but having tried it out ( on the spare chopped off bit of headstock)  I reckon it'll work fine and allow me to go gently in stages, measuring as I go for depth etc. I can then trim the slots and file / sand to size, again as suggested earlier.

DSCF3857.JPG

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I had a look at a mate's router earlier ,which I have the offer to borrow ( I've also been offered loan of another from one of the generous folks on the forum too! )

This thing was a bit of a monster and tbh having seen one in action, in context, I don't fancy attempting the use of one here.

I'm going to go back to the idea of doing the slots for the bridge/tuner units manually as demonstrated on the previous page, using a hand operated drill bit and chisel, file, sanding etc.

I reckon this slowly slowly approach is going to give me more control and hopefully remove the risk of it all going horribly wrong at high speed !

I've scratch marked round the units as a guide for drilling and chiseling, plus I've plugged the old screw holes with cocktail sticks and glue so as not to have the drill bit go off course by following the holes.

My weapon of choice for drilling is my olde hand brace with a suitably sized bit..this looks a bit dramatic but having tried it out ( on the spare chopped off bit of headstock)  I reckon it'll work fine and allow me to go gently in stages, measuring as I go for depth etc. I can then trim the slots and file / sand to size, again as suggested earlier.

DSCF3857.JPG

I've always found routers a bit scary so the go slow and tidy up afterwards seems like a safe approach. Do you have a pillar drill you can use?

6 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I've always found routers a bit scary so the go slow and tidy up afterwards seems like a safe approach. Do you have a pillar drill you can use?

I have got a very small pillar type drill, the "table" part is only a few inches square and you wouldn't get anything like a guitar body under it unfortunately. I should be OK with the hand drill as I only need to go about 4 or 5 mm down and as long as I start the drill "on target" it shouldn't go adrift. 

As mentioned I did try an experimental version on the old discarded headstock in order to see how it'd work on the same type of wood, which seemed fairly encouraging anyway, we'll see.. 🤞

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

DSCF3857.JPG

Probably for the best. The last thing you want is a router unexpectedly kicking back and damaging your project. Even one of our most esteemed BC builders doesn’t like using his router for this reason and is a hog it out and chisel man. The only ‘problem’ with a bit and brace (lovely looking thing though) is keeping it straight, but for such a shallow job, you should be fine, especially as you’re comfortable with this tool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Probably for the best. The last thing you want is a router unexpectedly kicking back and damaging your project. Even one of our most esteemed BC builders doesn’t like using his router for this reason and is a hog it out and chisel man. The only ‘problem’ with a bit and brace (lovely looking thing though) is keeping it straight, but for such a shallow job, you should be fine, especially as you’re comfortable with this tool.

The old hand brace is a very useful tool I've often found and I'm happy enough using it here ( this one I actually bought new back in the 80s! )  the drill bit has a lil' screw in the end that pulls the cutting part into the wood so as long as you start right it should go where you tell it. Like you say the holes aren't deep enough to go wonky really. 

• Like 1

Not done my drilling yet, as had a number of things arise this week needing my attention elsewhere.

But I did find this pic (on "that other" bass forum effort) that someone has done.. possibly even to a real Rick or at least one of the older accurate Japanese copies?  pic is a bit hazy as it was a screenshot

IMG_20230206_142102.jpg

• Like 3

Drilled and gouged out the slots (the only description really) a bit of a mess unfortunately, with hindsight I'd have just chopped out a square flat recessed platform (I could still re appraise & do this in fact) I've got one of those powerfile things which would be ok-ish for that option, tho too big for the individual slots. 

All this was not helped by the fact the wood is very cheap, and breaks out easily, the paint ditto, so makes a tidy job rather more difficult 

The neat individual slots is one for the proper craftsmen and router operators I think, still was worth a try. 

I'll try the bridge units in and see if they need deeper recess, and take a view then. I could make some kind of surround thing to neaten it up perhaps, hey ho.. 

IMG_20230213_171916.jpg

IMG_20230213_172115.jpg

IMG_20230213_172002.jpg

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd say that was a respectable effort for a first time.

Thanks for the encouragement there! 👍

I'll win one way or another I'm sure :)

I'll have another look in daylight and try the units in etc, I'll need to sort something for an earth wire to all of them anyway (and fill in the existing hole) so it may be I'll do the single recess with a wired in Metal plate they can sit on. 

• Like 2

Once its painted and the hardware in... not gonna be much to see... looks better than a step down platform. Good Darts!

I'd still go for a Front pickup bezel  someone on here 3D Printed some MM bezels - and Small Control plate ad there is no channel cut in the surface.

At least my routing attempt of J to P was covered by a scratch plate...

Cavity2.thumb.jpg.bb803b1dfbc9fb7707ec1ce35a9314b9.jpg

Cavity3.thumb.jpg.0682b47ea0bdf039c3fc634bf3c8656d.jpg

See... you're feeling better about ya job already! 

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Once its painted and the hardware in... not gonna be much to see... looks better than a step down platform. Good Darts!

I'd still go for a Front pickup bezel  someone on here 3D Printed some MM bezels - and Small Control plate ad there is no channel cut in the surface.

Yep, I'll have a look with the units in proper daylight, I could wangle the earth wire into all the slots no doubt... certainly take your point about the control plate malarkey too, I can cut stuff like that from black plastic card sheet type material , sure I've probably got some 2mm Plasticard knocking around somewhere 

• Like 2

Here's an interesting idea as regards headless Tuner/Bridges... it's an Italian firm apparently, using the depth of the body for the adjustable tensioning movement, rather than straight pull rearwards... 

The Rick thing might be a bit slim profile for this but it'd be good on a chunkier body

IMG_20230217_145729.jpg

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 4

Anywaaay.. I've massively over cooked the depth of the recesses for the bridge units.. I screwed them in etc etc, put the strings on, and find they now slap about on the fretboard even when raising the saddles :(

The saddles themselves don't have that much movement upwards before you run out of thread on the l'il Allen screws either, I could just about get a couple of the strings twanging but no good at all really. 

( I quite like a low rattly Entwistle action but this is ridiculous! ) 

So, after a coffee and a couple of Tunnocks choc wafers, I conclude the next step would be to make 4 shaped flat shims or spacers  to sit under the units and raise them up a bit (or a lot) 

These I shall make from Metal, I like metal it's a material I'm happy working with, unlike wood which I dislike dealing with (although it does burn well) 

I could perhaps bung a few washers under one of the units just to trial how much I need to raise them, and thus how thick my shims need to be. 

If it fights me further with this I'll prob do the '' chop out a single square recess" plan b thing, with this I could the use a single sheet of metal, drilled appropriately, instead of 4 strips. I'll see what metal I've got lying around and take a view... 

The pic doesn't really show the above issue too well, but even with saddles right up it's really no use unfortunately 

edit... I also notice, confirmed by measurement, that the slots are deeper at the front rounded end by quite a bit, therefore making the units tip forward slightly, I'll prob have to level them before doing shims, I'm tempted to just chop the lot out now a'la plan B.. 

IMG_20230220_150229.jpg

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

If the individual shims work it certainly looks okay.

They should do, it'd just equate to shallower grooves, and you could for example fine adjust subsequently with more shims like a lot of things do in engineering. 

Just a bit of a pain now having to laboriously level the grooves first, hence my temptation to hack out one platform as I could do that with a powerfile! 

That said it prob looks better with individual slots.