Why become a member? ×

Hello - I'm way out of my depth!

Jackroadkill

Hello all,

Not only am I new to Basschat, I'm new to the bass in general.  I've been a (cruddy) guitar mangler for years, mostly playing old-school stoner rock and metal, but have recently grown up and bought a bass to play in a covers band.  The learning curve is steep but I'm having a lot of fun (even if my right index finger thinks it's being cheese-gratered).  I've joined Basschat mainly so that I'll have like-minded folk to cry to when I can't play something.  I don't know if it's the done thing to go on about my gear in this area of the forum, so I'll keep it brief: Fender Player Precision, old Korean Squier Jazz, Eden 500w head and 2x15 cab.

Thanks for having me!

• Like 4

:crigon_04:

It is very much the done thing to go on about gear, especially if there are pictures involved, we even have an emoji dedicated to it:

:useless:

Basschat is littered with gearaholics who love to live vicariously through other’s equipment, not that applies to me of course, I don’t have a problem with gear, I really don’t :shok:.

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 2

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Great intro. I can assure you your calluses will be built up soon so you can relax. I'm sure you'll find plenty here to wet your bass appetite. You can come and cry, we'll laugh about it with you and try to help.

Good choice to move on from the guitar 👍

• Thanks 1

Nice opening. 👍

Regarding the sore fingers, one old-school trick you probably already know is to spread drops of superglue on the fingertips, being careful not to stick them together or onto the bass etc.

Then I discovered you can play the bass with gloves on! Either proper 'musician's gloves', or silk ones... which have the added bonus of making one feel extremely sexy... so I'm told. :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

even if my right index finger thinks it's being cheese-gratered

Are you plucking in James Jamerson fashion using just your index finger?  Alternating using your index and middle fingers to pluck would spread the damage  ;) 

S'manth x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to bass and welcome to the world of cover bands. The glory is that you get to play lots of gigs and lots of songs but that is hard on your fingers as is getting a set list of 30 or so songs. You are allowed to use a pick for bass :) It actually works better for some songs so being able to do both is a useful skill.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Nice opening. 👍

Regarding the sore fingers, one old-school trick you probably already know is to spread drops of superglue on the fingertips, being careful not to stick them together or onto the bass etc.

Then I discovered you can play the bass with gloves on! Either proper 'musician's gloves', or silk ones... which have the added bonus of making one feel extremely sexy... so I'm told. :ph34r:

As if playing a bass didn't make one extra sexy already, you mean?!

10 hours ago, Smanth said:

Are you plucking in James Jamerson fashion using just your index finger?  Alternating using your index and middle fingers to pluck would spread the damage  ;)

I'm slowly getting to grips with using the index and middle - it will come (or so I'm assured!).

4 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Welcome to bass and welcome to the world of cover bands. The glory is that you get to play lots of gigs and lots of songs but that is hard on your fingers as is getting a set list of 30 or so songs. You are allowed to use a pick for bass :) It actually works better for some songs so being able to do both is a useful skill.

I'm trying to avoid a pick for the most part, but I'm open to it if it proves absolutely necessary.  The thirty song thing is hard work but really enjoyable - we have a list of about a hundred that we're slowly working through and will probably feel ready to gig at around that magic thirty.

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

Welcome Jack. A fellow converted guitarist here, who saw the light/grew up/realised everyone was better on guitar than me. 😃

I'm the world's worst guitarist, so nobody loses out if I move to four strings.  I actually already feel more capable as a bass player than a guitarist (as well as much sexier....).

Thanks for all of the welcoming comments, everyone.  They are very much appreciated and I consider myself properly enabled!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Hello all,

Not only am I new to Basschat, I'm new to the bass in general.  I've been a (cruddy) guitar mangler for years, mostly playing old-school stoner rock and metal, but have recently grown up and bought a bass to play in a covers band.  The learning curve is steep but I'm having a lot of fun (even if my right index finger thinks it's being cheese-gratered).  I've joined Basschat mainly so that I'll have like-minded folk to cry to when I can't play something.  I don't know if it's the done thing to go on about my gear in this area of the forum, so I'll keep it brief: Fender Player Precision, old Korean Squier Jazz, Eden 500w head and 2x15 cab.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the forum. Hint turn that Eden 500w up and tickle the strings you won't need to pound them to be heard.

Surgical spirit on the fingertips will help harden them off as will the woodworking mods you are going to get involved with.

I gather you don't use flat wound strings.

Great to have you here, have fun and buy a packet of salt, you will need a pinch every now and then for some of the comments made on here 😀

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

I actually already feel more capable as a bass player than a guitarist (as well as much sexier....).

When I moved from 6 to 5 strings I also noted a higher plane of ability (In my head at least!) ... I just click more with the bass!

Sexy ... don't forget a sexy bass players hat  🤣

S'manth x

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

have fun and buy a packet of salt, you will need a pinch every now and then for some of the comments made on here 😀

Plenty of salt on standby, as recommended!

8 hours ago, Smanth said:

don't forget a sexy bass players hat  🤣

Hmm, there must have been some sort of clerical error - I wasn't issued with one when I signed up. 

6 hours ago, T Cee said:

Welcome Jack! I hope you continue to enjoy digging in to BC and playing the bass in general. 😁👍

Thanks - I'm really enjoying both.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Nice opening. 👍

Nurse! Ricky's at it again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Smanth said:

When I moved from 6 to 5 strings I also noted a higher plane of ability (In my head at least!) ... I just click more with the bass!

Sexy ... don't forget a sexy bass players hat  🤣

S'manth x

Oh my, I forgot all about the need for a hat! Somehow I don't think hard hats count.... 

• Haha 2