Why become a member? ×

2x10 Cab recommendations to match a 500w head

AinsleyWalker

I'm running my Ashdown EvoII 500 as my recording head on my desk at home 
I sold my 4x10 recently and would like to replace it with a 2x10 that could go under my desk, solely for practicing really. 

The amp is rated at: 500w RMS/1000w peak, 4ohms on speaker outs. 
Any suggestions for a good 2x10 cab to match? Had a little look around and I'm not seeing many options above around 350w. 

EDIT: I picked up a very reasonably priced Ashdown 2x10 cab yesterday, it does exactly what I wanted it to! 
Thanks for all the tips and responses

Edited by AinsleyWalker

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

What’s your budget?

TBH if it’s for practicing the power rating of the cab is even less useful than normal (plenty of threads on here explaining why); if you’re not going to be thrashing the amp then just get something that fits!

<£300 if possible, 
Thanks for the info, it will be played at low-ish bedroom volumes so maybe I won't need something with a rating to match then

I picked up a Gallien Kreuger 2x10 (think it's an MB?) quite a while back. Feather light, literally a 1 finger lift, and sounds really good with my Tecamp Black Jag 500 head. I really bought it for rehearsals and stuff but have gigged it pretty much all of the time last year. Think I paid around £150 for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

Another thing I'd highly recommend is a Micro Thumpinator pedal. With that in my signal chain it really gets the best out of smaller cabs by eliminating ultra lows that gobble up power and convert it into flappy farting drivers. 

Nice, where are you using that in your chain? Reading the FAQ's on their site now. 

4 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Ashdown ABM210H cab would be my choice such as the ones I use 

Then if you do need to gig you are ready to go ( nearly )

The ABM210H isn’t very tall so would go under a desk 

6F81616F-CE9A-4350-8DC5-0F761DC3C99E.thumb.jpeg.070860bb7ae7cc960927b3474a957091.jpeg

If you stack those 2x10s on their ends for a vertical 4x10 you'd be better off.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Nice, where are you using that in your chain? Reading the FAQ's on their site now. 

I've got it at the start of the chain. Seemed to me that the frequencies it eliminates aren't of any use at all, so get rid of them straight off the bat.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I've got it at the start of the chain. Seemed to me that the frequencies it eliminates aren't of any use at all, so get rid of them straight off the bat.

Makes sense, that's what they suggest as a good starting point on their FAQs. Might have to give one a try, sounds like a very useful bit of kit. Thanks for the tip

48 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Makes sense, that's what they suggest as a good starting point on their FAQs. Might have to give one a try, sounds like a very useful bit of kit. Thanks for the tip

I also use it with a Fender Rumble 100. Lots of people think that amp can't keep up with a loud drummer etc., but the thumpinator means you can push it hard without the cone flapping around. I've used it for some smaller pub gigs no problem, and only really at half power or less. I'd really recommend you try one if you can find one.

• Like 1

Honestly do you really need a 2x10 to do what you want, unless it is a dual purpose unit you will use for rehearsals and/or small gigs. I've got a 6" unit that will deafen not only me but the neighbours which sounds great in a smallish room. I also built a 1x8 for @Chienmortbb which goes louder and deeper. and is not much bigger than a bookshelf speaker. I'm currently using some 5" monitors (RCF Lyra, but there are plenty of other brands to choose from) for practicing at home, they are really completely at home with bass at volumes which are more than enough for home. The bass goes flat lower than any bass speaker I have used.

There is a dearth of truly dedicated good sounding cabs for home practice but a good 1x10 should be plenty.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Honestly do you really need a 2x10 to do what you want, unless it is a dual purpose unit you will use for rehearsals and/or small gigs. I've got a 6" unit that will deafen not only me but the neighbours which sounds great in a smallish room. I also built a 1x8 for @Chienmortbb which goes louder and deeper. and is not much bigger than a bookshelf speaker. I'm currently using some 5" monitors (RCF Lyra, but there are plenty of other brands to choose from) for practicing at home, they are really completely at home with bass at volumes which are more than enough for home. The bass goes flat lower than any bass speaker I have used.

There is a dearth of truly dedicated good sounding cabs for home practice but a good 1x10 should be plenty.

Yes to be honest. I've got 1x10 combos/tried 1x10 cabs, too boxy, not deep enough. 
I had a 4x10 but it just took up too much space and was overkill.

I got hold of a very reasonably priced Ashdown 2x10 yesterday and it gives me a pretty close representation of what I can hear from the DI of amp, which is exactly what I wanted.
My 1x10 doesn't manage this at all unfortunately and gives a totally different sound. I can also quite easily use this rig for smaller gigs too, but it perfectly fits under my desk (upright) so if it never leaves the house that's also fine!

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by AinsleyWalker
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Yes to be honest. I've got 1x10 combos/tried 1x10 cabs, too boxy, not deep enough. 
I had a 4x10 but it just took up too much space and was overkill.

I got hold of a very reasonably priced Ashdown 2x10 yesterday and it gives me a pretty close representation of what I can hear from the DI of amp, which is exactly what I wanted.
My 1x10 doesn't manage this at all unfortunately and gives a totally different sound. I can also quite easily use this rig for smaller gigs too, but it perfectly fits under my desk (upright) so if it never leaves the house that's also fine!

Thanks for the reply!

Good choice 

• Like 1