Why become a member? ×

Bulky valve head cab choice

Alfie

Now that my beloved Fender Bassman 100T is working again, I need to find a cab to properly complement it.

At the moment it's running to a Barefaced Midget. Sonically this is fine, but visually it is a bit odd with the amp being larger than the cab. The flight case helps a bit, but I probably need a bigger cab. A Fender Neo 410 would look good, but after years of Barefaced I don't think I could go back to heavy lifting.

Would a second midget next to the original work sonically (assuming I can find one)? Or am I best off exploring a Two10 or two Two10s or a Four10?

PXL_20221223_094404919.jpg

• Like 1

You have to consider what the impedance match requires.  The amp is no doubt looking for a 4Ω load, check the back panel.  What is the Barefaced cabinet's impedance. If it's 8Ω the amp will not be safe running at volume into the single cab.

Edited by BassmanPaul

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Leave it on the road case. Whether you go with a second Midget or some other cab with multiple drivers you want them vertical, not horizontal. It sounds better that way, to you and to the audience.

99.99% of the time I would agree with you, but the Barefaced 4x10 etc have low pass filters on one side to prevent phase cancellation.

4 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

99.99% of the time I would agree with you, but the Barefaced 4x10 etc have low pass filters on one side to prevent phase cancellation.

True. I mentioned the concept to Alex way back before he started his company, it's called a 1.5 alignment, and he eventually employed it. It's not just to prevent comb filtering in the highs, it also improves horizontal dispersion in the mids.  But a pair of 2x10 vertically stacked also has the advantage of getting drivers up higher so you can hear the mids better when close to the cab.

• Like 2