Why become a member? ×

Which would you prefer to watch, a band cover band or a bad original band?

Cantdosleepy

Yes, I agree.. I think you can learn from watching any musician no matter what level they are at.. but I'd rather see an original band trying to make an effort than a cover band, any day.

i'm afraid that these days i have pretty much zero tolerance for poor bands whatever they are playing. i'll always give them the benefit of the doubt but if, after a couple of songs, its obvious things aren't going to improve then i'm outta there! it always amazes me how many bands could potentially be quite good but are let down by just one individual member (often the drummer) - makes me wonder if they actually [i]listen[/i] to what each other are doing - surely [i]someone[/i] must realise!

i am of course, old and cynical....

having said that, if a band is good i will watch and learn even if its a genre of music i'm not into, i can appreciate good playing/good songs etc.

peace

c

Ok, I'm probably not the one to ask on this one as I don't get out much for pleasure due to work/family commitments but I'd rather have a poor covers band plinking away in the background than a poor originals band. At least this way there would be a semblence of familiarity about the background noise rather than it just being noise.

The scene for originals bands in my neck of the woods tends to be for the younger end of the market. Covers dominate the thirty-plus pub scene. I accept that there are some talented musicians trying to do their own thing, but equally there are talented musicians doing covers (remember, covers does not necessarily mean note for note replication, look at Robert Plant's version of Hendrix's Hey Joe as an example).

How about another question. When does an originals band become a cover/tribute band? For example, two ex members of The Jam are touring without Weller. Is this a covers band, a tribute band or an original act? Likewise, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band continue to tour long after the demise of the main man. Again, are the Who actually the Who (only two out of four original members surviving). The list goes on and on, and the question remains, are these cover bands, tribute bands or originals?

Depends on how you define bad and whether you mean prefer from a an education or entertainment point of view.

Watching a really bad originals band, especially if they've got a bit of attitude about them, can be a hugely amusing experience.

Seeing a band band that are just poor musicians is actually a bit upsetting - I often feel quite bad for them, especially if there are a couple of talented individuals in the band clearly feeling let down by their bandmates.

These days evening (esp. weekend) time is quite precious so I'm not sure I've got the patience to sit through a rubbish band of any sort.
That said, it depends on what is letting them down - if they are good players that have rehearsed enough then I might still enjoy one or more of the musicians, and similarly if one members if spoiling things then I might enjoy the others even though the overall sound is let down.
I'd find it hard to distinguish between original or covers I guess but at least with a poor original band you might not be aware of the mistakes they are miaking whereas with a cover band you probably know the songs and recognise the errors more quickly... (I'm starting to recall some of the dodgy bands i've played in now)

[quote name='3V17C' post='49462' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:23 PM']i'm afraid that these days i have pretty much zero tolerance for poor bands whatever they are playing. i'll always give them the benefit of the doubt but if, after a couple of songs, its obvious things aren't going to improve then i'm outta there! it always amazes me how many bands could potentially be quite good but are let down by just one individual member (often the drummer) - makes me wonder if they actually [i]listen[/i] to what each other are doing - surely [i]someone[/i] must realise!

i am of course, old and cynical....

having said that, if a band is good i will watch and learn even if its a genre of music i'm not into, i can appreciate good playing/good songs etc.
peace
c[/quote]

I totally agree with everything you've said there. I play a lot of gigs in my band, all original stuff, and so I come into contact with a lot of these poor bands. Sometimes, if I see potential, i'll try to give some advice, but most of the time I go and wait outside until we have to play. Listening to a crap support act can put you in the wrong state of mind for playing too.

I'm not old or cynical though.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='49468' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:29 PM']I think if I had to make the choice, I'd rather listen to something new played badly than something I'm familiar with being murdered.[/quote]

+1

Well having done a few years on the metal scene, which is home to some of the most talentless bobbins in the world (almost on a par with indie), I would actually prefer to listen to a bad covers band. That is mainly because I haven't been exposed to that many bad covers bands and at least if they aren't playing that well, they may be playing a tune i like so I can draw some kind of satisfaction. I blame all the crap bands I have played with for the amount of time I have spent stoned off my box on stage. S**t band comes on......bugger this I am going to sit inthe car and have a smoke or two. Come back for the next band.....oh they sound like a bag of dead cats too.....outside we go again......vicious circle :)

[quote name='presoulnation' post='49491' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:55 PM']Well having done a few years on the metal scene, which is home to some of the most talentless bobbins in the world (almost on a par with indie), I would actually prefer to listen to a bad covers band. That is mainly because I haven't been exposed to that many bad covers bands and at least if they aren't playing that well, they may be playing a tune i like so I can draw some kind of satisfaction. I blame all the crap bands I have played with for the amount of time I have spent stoned off my box on stage. S**t band comes on......bugger this I am going to sit inthe car and have a smoke or two. Come back for the next band.....oh they sound like a bag of dead cats too.....outside we go again......vicious circle :)[/quote]

Heh, that's what I meant when I said I would "wait outside" while the crap band plays!

Original metal bands - that, in my experience, is something of an oxymoron. I should add that I like heavy music; can't beat a bit of guitar and shout every now and again.

The worst is going to see a touring act (normally a small scale band pulling 1-200 people) and their supports are a bag of sh*te as it's just the record label current artist rosta rather than complimentary, high quality supports.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='49468' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:29 PM']I think if I had to make the choice, I'd rather listen to something new played badly than something I'm familiar with being murdered.[/quote]

Exactly! At least when an originals band is bad you can blame the songwriting to some degree...

Alex

Having recently opened for a TERRIBLE covers band (whereas we played originals) I would definitely go with the bad originals band every time. Having sat through an hour and a half set of many songs I (used to think I) quite liked being murdered by sloppy interpretations definitely hit home why I rarely (if ever) go to see cover/tribute acts. We also opened for a Thin Lizzy tribute band recently who actually did a pretty decent job, but even that performance felt flat to me, so I've decided I'm definitely only into original music in a live setting, and have found out there is nothing worse than hearing some of your favourite songs being slaughtered by a covers band. Cringe-worthy!

I went to a ball a couple of years ago with the world's worst covers band playing. The drummer was like a robot, no groove or swing whatsoever, it was so painful I was unable to dance despite the songs they were covering being great songs. Awful.

I hate to say this but I would rather listen to a DJ than mediocre covers bands that think being able to play the right notes and sing in tune is good enough.

Alex

Here we are -- I'm going to sit on the fence. :)

I would rather watch a sh*t originals, cover or any other kind of band than sit at home.

I get out to gigs so little, due to having small kids, that I even rocked up to church last Sunday because somebody was setting up a stage the day before.

I don't remember the last originals gig I saw -- probably Kate Rusby in Norwich *blushes*. The last tribute band I saw was Quo-caine in Rudgwick, West Sussex -- hello Bassmurf! :huh: I'm not a great Quo fan, the weather was awful, the crowd was 20-strong in a swamp but I could still watch decent musicians having fun.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='3V17C' post='49462' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:23 PM']i'm afraid that these days i have pretty much zero tolerance for poor bands whatever they are playing.
i am of course, old and cynical....[/quote]
Me too!

I don't have an answer for this question becuse I can't/won't listen to bad bands of any description. Bad bands don't deserve an audience. It's called natural selection: bad band = no audience = no gigs by bad band = good bands doing more gigs.

I, of course, only play in good bands!!!!

Definatly a covers band. I find I often get bored listening to origional stuff if it isn't the sort of thing I'd normally listen to. But if its a covers band at least you know the song and get into it more. This applies no matter how talented the band is, if I wouldn't listen to it at home and its unfamiliar, I get bored listening to it. Just my point of view.