Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown Studio 210

pbasspecial

I’ve just picked up this morning a super light Ashdown Studio 210 combo. 
I already have a lovely Ampeg B200r combo but it weighs about 70lbs/32kg and we just started rehearsing in a place that has stairs. No thanks. 
Saw this the next morning on eBay. Usually sell new for about £550 but managed to snag this s/h for £180!!! 

828B8722-A1B1-4DE3-96BB-F9BE67B925CA.jpeg

0E4867AA-C16F-4DB0-BBFC-827553110534.jpeg

• Like 10

Had a little quiet play on it yesterday and so far so good. Great size, good weight. Nice tone.
Seems well made. No unnecessary bells and whistles. I like that you can switch the speaker and the tweeter off too. Having the headphone and line in as a 1/4” input is a better idea as I find the 3.5mm ones are not as reliable if you use them a lot. 
The extension speaker output is a long overdue upgrade too to keep up with the fenders, markbasses of this world. 
I’m hoping I can use this for the majority of my work and just use the Abm 500 and Supertwin for the heavy rock stuff 🤞and I’ll keep the Ampeg B200r just because she is so beautiful (to me). 

• Like 1

So, I took it out last night at my regular bi-monthly jam night. Used it myself with a couple of different acts and also got to hear it played by some other bass players too. 
Really impressed with it so far. Was able to hold its own with varied styles of music. Pretty loud considering it was a large pub with very high ceilings too.
Easy one hand carry and a nice looking amp too. So far so good!

I have a blues jam gig on Thursday, funky, soupy, blues on Friday and my classic/heavy rock band on Saturday. Definitely a good week to test it out! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Sounds like a good week ahead, ably supported by Ashdown 

I’ve been a little slow to the game but love Ashdown now. Think my original ABM 500 RC is fantastic and the new combo is amazing. The support is great and the team super friendly.  Long may they continue to be around! 

• Like 1

So I used it at my monthly blues jam with my P bass with flats. Sounded good there too. Put it on some bench seating to raise it so I could hear it easier. Nice, clear and certainly loud enough playing against a busy drummer, 2 guitarists and a keyboard player. 
Will be using it in my originals/cover funky blues band tonight. Similar band set up. 
Think it will do well there too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant purchase at that price!

I played nearer full price for mine (it was in a trade with a fellow BCer), but I have to say I'm delighted with it.  I've yet to take it out of the house, as I've had it only a couple of weeks, but we jammed with it at home yesterday and it was great - held its own against the alto sax at only 9 o'clock on the Master Volume and we were able to play two basses through it (one through the FX loop) with great definition and clarity.  These really are lightweight, but oomphy, and really excellent in terms of their tone: just that classic Ashdown warmth without over-colouring what you're doing with your fingers.

Not that I need it yet (or probably never!), but I wonder what might make a suitable extension cab, both in terms of appearance (i.e. not half the width and twice the height of the combo), utility (it must be lightweight) and quality of tone.  Any ideas, anyone?

• 2 months later...