Why become a member? ×

Battery powered portable amp

Agent 00Soul

AER are the kingpins.

My cheap 'battery amp' was a collection of stuff to run a regular cabinet. BDDI into cheap and featherweight class D 12V amp. Unfortunately I made the mistake of letting the deep cycle deer spotlighting battery self discharge and sit for over a year, which killed it dead. I should have got a trickle charger for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A car stereo booster amplifier from a reputable brand will give you about 70w into an 8 ohm speaker and will run off a £17 12 volt battery for a couple of hours. Most are sensitive enough that you can plug an active bass into it and get almost full volume out of it.

Unknown brands of far-east models may only give you about 10w, but anything badged as complying with CEA 2006 should give RMS power in the specification regardless of what sales have screen printed on the casing.

My last two builds included the speaker enclosures, but you will get the general idea from them.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Phil Jones Briefcase can be battery powered (motorbike battery type) and will give you an excellent sound.

https://philjonesbass.net/cms/index.php/product_bbc/

But to my ears the GSS 06B400 Mini Bass Amp with its dedicated 7S35V2 intelligent Lithium battery pack sounds better 

https://www.guitarsoundsystems.com/gss-06b400-mini-bass-amp-c2x15043753

https://www.guitarsoundsystems.com/gss-7s35v2-intelligent-lithium-battery-pack-for-guitar-sound-systems-mini-bass-amps-c2x18346407

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

The PJB Double 4 can be battery powered with a portable chargeable laptop power supply. It's nice, but not a cheap option.

This is what I use for busking. The sound quality and portability is very seductive.

There are caveats though -

1) The new double4 's can't be used this way as they now contain an internal transformer.

So you will be limited to finding a second hand double 4 with the external PSU.

2) it's also getting harder to find an external battery pack that doesn't have some sort of current protecting circuit in it. Again the newer current protected models cut out when playing louder making them useless for outdoors.

I wouldn't buy a battery pack second hand as it's impossible to tell what life it's had - rather than lasting hours, mine is now incredibly inconsistent for example.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I borrowed a smaller version of that and was very impressed with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Woodwind said:

This is what I use for busking. The sound quality and portability is very seductive.

There are caveats though -

1) The new double4 's can't be used this way as they now contain an internal transformer.

So you will be limited to finding a second hand double 4 with the external PSU.

2) it's also getting harder to find an external battery pack that doesn't have some sort of current protecting circuit in it. Again the newer current protected models cut out when playing louder making them useless for outdoors.

I wouldn't buy a battery pack second hand as it's impossible to tell what life it's had - rather than lasting hours, mine is now incredibly inconsistent for example.

I didn't know the newer one had an internal PSU. Shame. I'll definitely have to hang onto my older one.

You're right about avoiding used battery packs. They do deteriorate and lose the ability to hold charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're playing with unamped acoustic guitar, unmiked vocals and maybe a cajon (or bongos) The Roland Micro bass cube RX will easily be loud enough. It is tiny, light, sounds great and can run off six AA batteries.

It has recently been discontinued after being available for the best part of a decade, but they pop up secondhand occasionally. I bought mine secondhand for £100 a few years ago.

19289-RXMICROCUBEBASS_super.jpg?auto=for

92412-tmp45ED.jpg?auto=format&w=600&h=60

92413-tmp9085.jpg?auto=format&w=600&h=60

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a bass amp but I use the Bose S1 powered PA speaker as a battery powered bass combo for unplugged trad and folk sessions, street gigs etc... to my ears it sounds great and lacks very little over a 'proper' bass combo... all the spec is here https://www.thomann.de/ie/bose_s1_pro.htm but basically its small, light, very well put together and has a 5ah rechargeable lithium battery pack that lasts about 4 gigs (8-10 hours playing time) before recharging... I mostly use it with an active Ukebass but have gigged it with regular bass'es too, active Stingray, Jazz etc and all sounded great... obviously we are talking fairly low volume stuff here but its got tons of headroom... I'm sure you could get a decent tone from any passive bass as well with a battery powered preamp pedal in line... not cheap I grant you but mine doubles up as half of a small PA system as well for pub gigs etc (singer owns a second one) so in my case it was well worth the price as it kills two birds with one stone.. 😊   

Bose S1 .jpg

• Thanks 2