Why become a member? ×

octave up recommendations?

NHM

I'm looking for an octave up pedal, the main criteria being as natural a sound as possible, so it sounds like a boost to the first harmonic (I'm playing a P bass with flats, fingers and pick) rather than an unconnected additional sound which some of the cheaper pedals seem to be .  

I don't need octave down.

A second octave up as well might be useful, but this isn't a deal breaker.

I'm tempted by the Boss OC-5 which sounds very clean, but wonder what the alternatives might be?

41 minutes ago, NHM said:

I'm looking for an octave up pedal, the main criteria being as natural a sound as possible, so it sounds like a boost to the first harmonic (I'm playing a P bass with flats, fingers and pick) rather than an unconnected additional sound which some of the cheaper pedals seem to be .  

I don't need octave down.

A second octave up as well might be useful, but this isn't a deal breaker.

I'm tempted by the Boss OC-5 which sounds very clean, but wonder what the alternatives might be?

Boss OC-5 is a good shout - have one on my board. I've tried a few others over the years and ones that do a decent job include the Digitech pedals - I have the Mosaic, which does a pretty good 8 string bass effect.

Having said that, I think most pedals struggle with the octave-up in terms of producing something natural sounding and not tinny. Octave-down seems to be much easier to handle, particularly if you're not playing too low in the first place. So when I need to thicken the sound up, I've ended up playing up the octave and engaging the OC-5 on octave-down rather playing where I normally would and engaging octave-up. Much better result!

Obviously on the OC-5 you can have octave-down and up simultaneously if you're feeling like straying into the full Royal Blood!

• Like 1

I've come across the T Rex Quint which has an interesting feature, you can add in a fifth above the first octave. Might be OK if your hammering out the root but sound a bit weird if you're walking up and down? Has anyone any experience of this pedal? It does sound quite decent in the YouTube clips.

I’m interested in finding something similar that can also do polyphony. 

I’ve compared the Walrus Audio Luminary to the larger POG. The Luminary’s octave up sound was far more natural compared to the POG. The Luminary benefits from having a filter to take away those harsh high frequencies that give the POG that abrasive metallic sound. The tracking on both was superb even with complex chords. 

Next on my list to try is the MXR Poly Blue Octave and probably the Boss OC-5. The T-Rex looks interesting too! 

So many choices!! 

Good luck with the search 😀

this sounds good and isn't too expensive.

I've just bought a Mr. Black pedal. I haven't tried it with the band yet, but at home through headphones I like the sound. I'm setting it to barely hear the octave as a separate sound, just as a 'thickener' to the root.

Edited by NHM
spelling

I’ve used the T-Rex Quint in octave up mode, though always combined with distortion or fuzz. It’s very decent, and the ability to add a fifth is helpful if simulating guitar power chords especially. It’s no longer on my board though as it started to get a bit noisy. Need to take a proper look at it actually…

In terms of wanting something ‘natural’ sounding, you may struggle. All octave up effects on bass I e tried and used (to my ears at least) have a synthetic quality to them clean to one degree or another. Stick a dirt box after one at a decent volume and it’s far less noticeable.

Also, re: the Green Ringer. Believe that was an analog octave up, so clones will likely be also. You’ll get very different results with an analog pedal vs digital.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve had some good results with various models of Digitech Whammy. Older models, or the newer models on ‘Classic’ mode, retain a bit more of a natural tone compared to pedals like the POG (the Micro/Nano at least).

Had reasonable results with the Boss OC-5, but the upper octave did seem to get a bit lost in the mix. Worked quite well for a split-signal path though - octave output is muted when the pedal is off and kicks in when engaged, so an option if you run a second cable to a guitar amp.

• 1 year later...

There's plenty of very good octave down pedals, but there's definitely less in the market for good tracking, glitch free octave-up for bass and I've been looking for something for a couple of tracks in our set. Just come across the Mooer Tender Octaver X2 and liking the look of it!

MOOER Tender Octaver X2 Official Video (youtube.com)

Could be a very decent alternative to my Boss OC-5 and, unlike the Boss has presets which could come in very handy for live use.