Why become a member? ×

Modding a '66 Mustang (really?? really???)

Andyjr1515

6 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Have you got room for a blob of hot melt glue to strengthen the joint or to anchor the cable to the pickup?

David

Trouble is, the fine wires are at the very end of the plate and the cable shielding is too stiff to double back in an S - it would probably do more harm than good.

Now it's in, then it's probably OK.  Maybe just something for the feedback to Gemini.  Everything else is super - the look of them; the presentation (wrapped in purple felt!); the quality of the fixing screws.  I look forward to seeing what they sound like. 

7 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Trouble is, the fine wires are at the very end of the plate and the cable shielding is too stiff to double back in an S - it would probably do more harm than good.

Now it's in, then it's probably OK.  Maybe just something for the feedback to Gemini.  Everything else is super - the look of them; the presentation (wrapped in purple felt!); the quality of the fixing screws.  I look forward to seeing what they sound like. 

Could you put a cable tie round the cable, to stop it being pulled should anyone take the controls out and to ensure a bit of slack in the pickup cavity?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tauzero said:

Could you put a cable tie round the cable, to stop it being pulled should anyone take the controls out and to ensure a bit of slack in the pickup cavity?

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines that it needs some sort of tight grommet or similar - but a clipped off cable tie would be perfect. :)

Consider your excellent idea stolen, @tauzero :D

• Like 2

Today's time taken was sorting out the neck pickup chamber.  Mainly:

- shielding

- pickup ring fixing where, underneath for three of the holes there was a void

The original chambers were a combination of partial shielding plates and conductive paint.  Where I have exposed new timber, I added copper foil, soldering across to the existing plates and checking that all three elements had full grounding continuity.

5S7FRV9l.jpg

The latter was a case of cutting and fitting shaped timber sections that would glue to the sides of the original chamber for the pickup ring screws to screw into:

x8Sw1EMl.jpg

VCNtiY4l.jpg

And double checking with the pickup that there weren't any obstructions, ready for adding the height foams and fixing screws:

IBzE2WVl.jpg

And that will be one of the jobs for tomorrow along with, hopefully, wiring it up.

• Like 9

Fabulous! I hadn’t considered the screws that wouldn’t have any wood to bite into. That looks like a neat solution.so pleased the pickup covers the P cavity so closely though. It was a challenge finding a pickup that would!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ped said:

Fabulous! I hadn’t considered the screws that wouldn’t have any wood to bite into. That looks like a neat solution.so pleased the pickup covers the P cavity so closely though. It was a challenge finding a pickup that would!

I love that neck pickup - looks like it was made that way.  I will come to love the bridge pickup too - just not used to it yet I suppose.  Bloody lovely project.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Looks great as usual.

I just had a quick scan through the thread to see what the controls do, and I couldn't see anything about pickup selection. IIRC the slide switch is a coil tap, so are the two knobs volumes for each pickup, or are they always both on?

They used to be vol/vol but I changed them to balance and tone (with a nice paper in oil cap and a no-load setting when fully open).

• Like 1

I will have time to properly play it tonight but so far it's the same as before but more balanced, more grunt and of course everything is straight! The addition of the splittable humbucker in the neck gives so many options. In humbucker mode it sounds pretty much the same as the P pickup did, something I've always quite liked about Tbird pickups which don't get enough love IMO. The bridge is a lot more balanced volume wise with the neck, it does a beautiful parpy sound with tons of fundamental, and mixed with the front it gives a sweet 60s jazz with flats sound. Split the front and balance 50/50 and it opens up a bit more towards a 70s spacing sound with a really woody growl. So happy with this thing.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, ped said:

I will have time to properly play it tonight but so far it's the same as before but more balanced, more grunt and of course everything is straight! The addition of the splittable humbucker in the neck gives so many options. In humbucker mode it sounds pretty much the same as the P pickup did, something I've always quite liked about Tbird pickups which don't get enough love IMO. The bridge is a lot more balanced volume wise with the neck, it does a beautiful parpy sound with tons of fundamental, and mixed with the front it gives a sweet 60s jazz with flats sound. Split the front and balance 50/50 and it opens up a bit more towards a 70s spacing sound with a really woody growl. So happy with this thing.

I'm delighted.  The moment I plugged it in, even on my rubbish home system, I knew it was going to be 'rather special' :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 17:13, ped said:

Finally got round to doing a video of this bass, apologies for sloppy playing etc but I really wanted to show some of the sounds!

Been in Aberdeen the last few days with only an old Android Tablet with me - really no good for listening to bass on!  After an 'interesting' hike back yesterday, I've been able to listen to this through a decent speaker.  It sounds GREAT!  

Nice playing too (but don't tell @ped - it'll only go to his head :) )

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Been in Aberdeen the last few days with only an old Android Tablet with me - really no good for listening to bass on!  After an 'interesting' hike back yesterday, I've been able to listen to this through a decent speaker.  It sounds GREAT!  

Nice playing too (but don't tell @ped - it'll only go to his head :) )

Thanks! 

9 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Strangely @ped there is a Mick Karn vibe in your sound when there's 80% balance of the rear (I still don't know which pickup you mean) and 30% tone, and I love it.

It’s a nice tight growl on that REAR pickup! (Bridge!). Mick Karn always copied me so that makes sense. 

• Haha 3

Really like the range of tones you're getting from this bass. @Andyjr1515has done a great job with this one.

When you first asked whether you should "mod" a bass of this vintage - I initially had some doubts - but of course, it's an "ideal" bass for such alterations, because of the modifications it had already undergone. Plus, you were right to straighten the bridge, and Andy was the right guy to do it.

Well done @ped- that's a mighty fine bass you have there. I've only recently picked up short scale again, and I like my Mustang. But perhaps I should consider swapping to similar pickups to yours.... just not quite yet ;)

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

I've thrown some Elixir rounds on this thing and it absolutely works. Here's a small clip to demo the sounds (80% neck, both, bridge, neck again, then I turned the Mutron on for a laugh). The tone is about halfway for most of the video - it has a really useful range and mixed with the different pickup flavours it means I have loads of options.

It has such a tight and full bottom end, even being short scale and in drop D! 

• Like 6