Why become a member? ×

Companies That Do Things Right!

binky_bass

Stick Enterprises. Difficult w/ email, but when you call them they are great.

Now, if you don't live in the US you might hafta call in the middle of the night, etc., but bizniz hrs., done, done, and done. Jeff answers the phone these days. It used to be Yuta Chapman or Grace Chapman (!) 

Last time I ordered strings, the FIRST TIME since 1985 (!) there was a wrong string & Jeff promptly sent it on it's way. It was a custom gauge set, but the wrong string was not the "custom" part of the set. Also if some sort of hardware breaks (the belthook can break if put under duress) it's off in the mail NC.

VERY small company. Emmett (now Grace) builds them in the garage in Laurel Canyon CA.

1 hour ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Stick Enterprises. Difficult w/ email, but when you call them they are great.

I never called them, I don't call. I emailed and had great service from emmet. Obviously I haven't contacted for a while and when it comes to strings, I have never ordered any from there, it would work out too expensive..

I would heartily endorse the praise for Alex of Barefaced cabs. I would also like to put out a shout for Hercules stands. I had a problem with one of my stands and they sent me a new one free of charge.

Edited by Hutton

1 hour ago, JonesTheCat said:

good to hear this, was looking at getting a bass set up by them, hadn't had a chance to go in and have a chat yet

Make it quick. Steve has to clear out quite soon and is struggling to find premises. If good will could sort his problem he's in clover, but I think he's pretty worried. That said, a lovely guy, as I'm sure you know.

On 18/10/2022 at 12:18, Woodinblack said:

As a kid I used to walk there at least once a week, and when I started working I used to go there regularly to buy a new boss pedal - wish I had them all now, would be worth a fortune!

Bought many things there, including my westone, my first 'proper' guitar. and a roland electric piano, and almost a gibson the paul, which I always regretted not being able to get, and have recently corrected the lack of!

My amps were all second hand from either Courtney and walkers or the little shop in New Road.

Ah, Courtney and Walker. My late father and I spent many a Saturday lunchtime in there while my mum was going round the shops in Commercial Road. I remember the shop in New Road, but the name escapes me for the moment.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Ah, Courtney and Walker. My late father and I spent many a Saturday lunchtime in there while my mum was going round the shops in Commercial Road. I remember the shop in New Road, but the name escapes me for the moment.

Same here, but a while back, I was at a festival in dorset and the owner of said shop recognised me and said hello, which was a bit of a surprise. Mind you I did practically live there!

Not bass related, but Sealey tools. I was bought a sheet metal bender, but didn't get to us it for over  year (So out of warranty). Then when I did a part of it snapped clean through. Sent them an E-mail enquiring about a spare and they sent me the new part completly FOC, which I received next day. (would have cost about £15 + postage).

A big contrast to Clarke Tools who don't ebven reply to Emails.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2022 at 00:54, cetera said:

Spector when it was run by Stuart Spector & PJ. Phone them with any issue and they'd pick up the phone themselves and sort it for you. Now they're owned by the huge Korg organisation I prefer to deal direct with the fab UK distributor 'Barnes & Mullins' who look after me well.

GK were terrible when handled over here by Polar Audio but now they're handling stuff themselves I've seen a huge improvement in direct customer service.

PJB take note.

Another non bass related experience.  Mrs Nicko somehow managed to set fire to the grill on our oven which melted a few of the control knobs.  She rang Rangemsater to enquire about the price of replacements and they popped them in the post for nowt.