Why become a member? ×

Thumpiest, darkest ROUNDwounds ever?

fretmeister

Since my finger injury and subsequent arthritis (middle finger, right hand) I’ve been trying loads of different things to try to get playing as well as I used to.

I love thumpy flats for my jazz gig but the extra surface area on a flat compared to the winding gaps in a round make it more difficult to play as my finger tip sort of sticks a bit more, and that finger hooks on the string anyway because of the tendon rupture. So I’ve gone to rounds with a ramp and that is a lot easier.

But, unless I wait for years for the strings to reach ‘almost flat’ sounds they are somewhat bright.

So… is there actually a roundwound made to be old and thumpy? Or do I just have to wait for the finger poo?

I like DR Fat Beams... but you need to play them a while before they lose the very bright zing and settle into the mellower thumpier sound I prefer. I never love them to start with, and they get progressively better over the next few weeks. Then I'm good for 2-3 years. They have a good low mid response that I really like.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

... cut the string straight. It will be dead immediately.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but what does 'cut the string straight' mean and how does that deaden the string?

I'm not so sure about the 'cut straight before bending' technique for this purpose. The kind of 'dead' you might get is not a good kind of 'dead', based on what I've heard (admittedly on Youtube). The other reason is... it's not a guarantee. I used to cut those strings straight before putting a kink on them for a few years before I found out I was risking failure. Never once they failed on me... so it definitely can happen, but it's not a guaranteed thing. Although you can probably 'encourage' it to happen, I don't know. 

Rotosound swingbass nickel, sounds like a strange suggestion but they start out very bright but I then found within about 2 weeks they practically sounded like flats, people think the stainless steel ones die quickly but the stainless ones last as long as any string for me, the nickel ones die very, very quickly