Why become a member? ×

Fender Thinline Telecaster Bass

Beedster

Actually, the J-PUP is why i like it, I'd almost certainly replace the mudbucker with something a little less, well muddy, but there's something deeply mongrel about this bass that makes me smile. I suspect it's going to need a play first however :) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beedster said:

You Sir are in the wrong profession (unless you're a professional mind reader) 👍

Well I could take it one further and suggest that the J pickup gets replaced with a DiMarzio also, so that the pole pieces also match...

• Haha 1

I'm still seriously considering this, I know I want a bass (have had no electric bass for 6-months, an experiment that didn;t really work to be honest), I'm pretty much decided on a Telebass, and I'm really being drawn by the PUP combination on this.

Anyone here played one? Either way, I might have to get myself up to The bass Gallery and try it out..... 

45 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I really wanted a thin line Fender Bass, but I thought all of Fender's offerings were just, well, a bit meh..

So I sourced some parts and did my own.. 51P Thinline Precision. It's not bad, actually, sound-wise

IMG_3683.jpeg

Very nice 👌 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

So I sourced some parts and did my own.. 51P Thinline Precision. It's not bad, actually, sound-wise

I've one of those on the 'to do' list , need to shake myself out of idleness first 😃

Plan call for piezo only, if that turns out sounding crap I've plenty of single coils that'll (hopefully) save the day 👍 

Just now, kodiakblair said:

I've one of those on the 'to do' list , need to shake myself out of idleness first 😃

Plan call for piezo only, if that turns out sounding crap I've plenty of single coils that'll (hopefully) save the day 👍 

It’s got a split coil in it which humbucks and also is a bit deeper than a standard single coil. 

I did think about a piezo bridge - but the pickup in it does such a good job that I left it passive

Read every piece I could find on web about this bass. Most owners - not surprisingly - speak very highly of it but two comments blew it for me, bad neck dive and surprisingly heavy varnish on the neck, both of which reminded me of my previous thinline bass which had much the same problems (although in this case I imagine the former might be worse given that rather large Mudbucker). I also emailed BG asking for further details of the actual bass and they very kindly replied with the sort of information you find at the top of a Google search, model number and year or production etc, so that wasn't a great help either, I was hoping for at least "We've played it and it's got a lovely tone, low action" etc. Suspect my expectations might be the problem here :(