Why become a member? ×

John Taylor Signature Dingwall Combustion

Napalmnun

1 hour ago, markbunney said:

Can I ask how much deposit you had to put down, and what the total was, when final payment was due?

Thanks

You can certainly ask, but I didn’t have a definitive answer at the time I paid my deposit, despite asking several times.

I paid £250 on the understanding it was fully refundable, not knowing what the full price would be.

I’ve since seen the FB post from BD stating the price will be £2500, which coincidentally marries up with the deposit being 10%. Why they couldn’t have been up front with that in the first place I don’t know.

P.S. I received one of their daft open ended invoices with a pay by date of 13/5 and even I know the instruments won’t be shipped until

the 3rd quarter of 2023 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You can certainly ask, but I didn’t have a definitive answer at the time I paid my deposit, despite asking several times.

I paid £250 on the understanding it was fully refundable, not knowing what the full price would be.

I’ve since seen the FB post from BD stating the price will be £2500, which coincidentally marries up with the deposit being 10%. Why they couldn’t have been up front with that in the first place I don’t know.

P.S. I received one of their daft open ended invoices with a pay by date of 13/5 and even I know the instruments won’t be shipped until

the 3rd quarter of 2023 🤷‍♂️.

Thanks 

6 of the 10 reserved already, as of an hour ago :o

Better get your skates on if you want a piece of this hotter-than-the-video-for-Girls-On-Film Cranberry Pearl action.

Also, I've seen screenshots on Talkbass that suggest the black/white/seafoam finishes will maintain the stripes and therefore not be quite so bland. So I retract my earlier yawns :D

30 minutes ago, simisker said:

Better get your skates on if you want a piece of this hotter-than-the-video-for-Girls-On-Film Cranberry Pearl action.

Also, I've seen screenshots on Talkbass that suggest the black/white/seafoam finishes will maintain the stripes and therefore not be quite so bland. So I retract my earlier yawns :D

They’ve all gone now :(

31 minutes ago, simisker said:

Aren't the images just mock-up's though?

22 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I've only ever owned one Dingwall (a Lee Sklar Signature) but I never had the need to adjust it.

If Sheldon's intonation video is anything to go by (accepting that it's the individual bridge piece design rather than what we have here) it suggests that once the locking screw is unlocked, the saddle can be moved back and forth easily and once it's in the correct place it can be retightened. Sheldon may be many things, but being terrible in the design phase is not generally one of them.

I've owned several basses with this type of intonation adjustment where the saddle is unlocked moved into position manually and then relocked, and all of them were a pain to adjust compared with the humble BBOT. All of them require the strings to be significantly slackened off before any adjustments could be made, and if you were changing to a very different gauge/type of string, that meant of a lot of tuning and detuning of the strings, to the point where the advantages of having new strings were almost completely lost by the time the intonation was correct. On some the act of locking the saddle would cause it to move again making the adjustment process even more complicated. I suppose if you rarely venture above the 7th fret and stick to a single type and gauge of string it's not too bad. That's not really me though.

I'm assuming with a multi-scale bass there are fewer options regarding string types and for most people once the intonation has been set for their preferred string it should never need to be adjusted again. 

I'm still not a fan.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, markbunney said:

They’ve all gone now :(

Blimey, that really didn't take long!

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Aren't the images just mock-up's though?

Ah, they could be, yeah; I just skim-read. I shall reposition my yawns to be Schrodinger's Yawns for now, then.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Just looking at the pics released, have they got rid of the nicest (for me) feature, the light reddish wood fretboard?

It does look like it, yes. Pau Ferro, perhaps? To be honest, I'm glad - considering the black hardware, ebony makes for a much more cohesive and therefore pleasant experience, imo. I thought the redness of the fingerboard clashed with the Cranberry Pearl (TM).

49 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Interesting bass, these are Made In China, set up in Canada, correct?

On the Pre amp specs:

Preamp

Rupert Neve Designs 2-Band EQ

Bass: +/- 12db / 20Hz

Treble: +/- 12db / 4.4KHz

20HZ on Bass is low.

Aye, these are "Combustion" class MiChi/SiCan Dingwalls. Which I'm very happy about, as a fully Canadian JT Signature would be out of my budget.

And yeah: 20Hz IS low! That can't be right... unless it's got a Q the width of the Thames, so it's almost like a shelf. In my experience Neve EQ has always been more about broad brush-strokes, rather than scalpel precision. Hmm... 🤔

Edited by simisker

Gutted I didn't check this chat yesterday. I had my heart set on one of these for my 50th this year - decided this would be more interesting than a 1973 Jazz. That and we cover Rio and this would be a cool thing to do that on. 

6 minutes ago, pierreganseman said:

Probably sold out worldwide by now. 

I hear of "standard production models" coming for 4th quarter of 2023 

virtually identical without the fancy bag , inlay on board , D tuner 

(disclosure - I'm a dealer) 

That's interesting, definitely against everything I've read about it, that this colour is unique to this run?

1 hour ago, Kev said:

That's interesting, definitely against everything I've read about it, that this colour is unique to this run?

as far as I understand that limited Run of 82 is sold out and has no plan for another one. Comes with a D tuner , Inlay on board , custom bag. 

however a "production model" is planed for late 2023 too. 

again as far as I understand : No D Tuner , standard bag , no inlay and will come in white , sea foam and black but for the rest will be identical .... 

it's still very beginning so a change or error on my part is possible - never seen one in the flesh 

I can tell you too they'll be a 5 string but I have no definite information on that 

7 hours ago, Kev said:

Can confirm that the rio cranberry color is exclusive to the limited 82 run. The regular production model (in seafoam green, black, and white) is coming this summer, according to designer patty palazzo. There are plans for an eventual 5 string as well. But yes, other than the color, drop d, inlay, bag and strings set, the production models are “identical” to the limited run. I think what the poster meant is that all the electronics etc will be identical 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krd said:

Can confirm that the rio cranberry color is exclusive to the limited 82 run. The regular production model (in seafoam green, black, and white) is coming this summer, according to designer patty palazzo. There are plans for an eventual 5 string as well. But yes, other than the color, drop d, inlay, bag and strings set, the production models are “identical” to the limited run. I think what the poster meant is that all the electronics etc will be identical 

Yeah that's what I thought.  Interested to see how the others look, but there's not going to be a huge amount to set them apart from the other chinese combustions really, bar the preamp.

• Like 1

And possibly the macassar ebony fretboard? Because otherwise, yeah: not much difference.

Though newer Combustions are coming without a pickguard, I notice. So maybe that'll be a further differentiation going forward.

EDIT: Oh, hang on: different body wood too. So it's all adding up, bit by bit.

Edited by simisker