Why become a member? ×

Compact mixing desks - what are you using?

Al Krow

36 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am also using that, even if it sounds like a bad Cardi B song, but mine is on 192.168.0.x !

I think you must have changed it or it's not the hAP mini that I'm using [1] - the default WAP IP address is 192.168.88.1 ( just checked the manual to make sure I'd got it right this time).

[1] Well, obviously it's not the one I'm using, but YKWIM

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

I think you must have changed it or it's not the hAP mini that I'm using [1] - the default WAP IP address is 192.168.88.1 ( just checked the manual to make sure I'd got it right this time).

[1] Well, obviously it's not the one I'm using, but YKWIM

Yes, I have changed it

Truly god-tier routers there, guys :)

If the mixer connects fine using a lan cable, why don't you use that method to add your home network wifi details to the xair, then you can flip it to client mode whenever you're at home and hopefully stop those issues with various devices not connecting? Mine is on client mode at home, because I don't want the hassle of changing any control device over to a different wifi, I just want to be able to fire up the app on say my desktop pc and not have to choose between mixer or internet access. Live it's a non-issue because it will presumably be wired to your router.

mine is on sever mode in a practice as I don't bother with the surface etc and client mode on a gig. But the iPad knows both networks, so its pretty transparant.

Now I think about it, I should probably use the XR16 I have for practice as it is smaller and not used for anything else, and it also has a 2 channel recorder on it.

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Truly god-tier routers there, guys :)

If the mixer connects fine using a lan cable, why don't you use that method to add your home network wifi details to the xair, then you can flip it to client mode whenever you're at home and hopefully stop those issues with various devices not connecting? Mine is on client mode at home, because I don't want the hassle of changing any control device over to a different wifi, I just want to be able to fire up the app on say my desktop pc and not have to choose between mixer or internet access. Live it's a non-issue because it will presumably be wired to your router.

I don't use mine much - we've just started gigging, target is around 20-30 gigs a year, so when I do play around with it at home I want to operate it as I would at a gig. It takes about 30 seconds to switch network to either the X-Air itself or the Mikrotik.

Ok, so now i need to get a wifi router. I was going to use my old Nighthawk, but it seems that its not used because its broken (bloody kids). 

Plenty of cheap ones on Amazon, but i quite like the idea of a small one that wotn take up much room in the gig bag. 

I dont intend to spend more than £50.

I like the look of this one. Anyone have any thoughts? Am i better off with a full sized one? We are only playing small stages and the router will be a few foot from me most of the time. Wont be using it for anything else. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-SFT1200-Wireless-Pocket-Sized-Repeater-White/dp/B09N72FMH5/ref=pd_lpo_sa_sccl_2/260-8215407-4110546?pd_rd_w=ZUEnj&content-id=amzn1.sym.38c75885-a11b-44e0-bdcc-565322173826&pf_rd_p=38c75885-a11b-44e0-bdcc-565322173826&pf_rd_r=WEWSWFTA90QB1C8C5QYG&pd_rd_wg=Kn3Vp&pd_rd_r=381f002f-1d13-48d7-99a2-596520e5074c&pd_rd_i=B09N72FMH5&psc=1

Also quite like the look of the TP-Link AC750. 

Other wise i was thinking for a TP-Link Archer C50, which i have had in the past. 

Edited by dave_bass5

The Gl iNet 1200 is the at the moment on my list of things to get as soon as I can get a non amazon source for it - I use a much better one, but I don't need that much power as it doesn't have much to do, but that little one has the advantage of being USB powered. So yes, I would go for one of those.

I do have a TP-Link AC750, which is what I used before and it worked perfectly, but I need two ethernet sockets for the mixer and the surface, so even though they were reliable and perfect for the job (in some ways better than what I have now), it was twice the number of things, and I am all about not having as much stuff now. Then I needed one around the house, so I used the other router anyway.

But in your position with just the one socket need, the AC750s are perfect, reliable, can be powered by the XR18 (although probably not officially!) and work well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ok, so now i need to get a wifi router. I was going to use my old Nighthawk, but it seems that its not used because its broken (bloody kids). 

Plenty of cheap ones on Amazon, but i quite like the idea of a small one that wotn take up much room in the gig bag. 

I dont intend to spend more than £50.

I like the look of this one. Anyone have any thoughts? Am i better off with a full sized one? We are only playing small stages and the router will be a few foot from me most of the time. Wont be using it for anything else. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-SFT1200-Wireless-Pocket-Sized-Repeater-White/dp/B09N72FMH5/ref=pd_lpo_sa_sccl_2/260-8215407-4110546?pd_rd_w=ZUEnj&content-id=amzn1.sym.38c75885-a11b-44e0-bdcc-565322173826&pf_rd_p=38c75885-a11b-44e0-bdcc-565322173826&pf_rd_r=WEWSWFTA90QB1C8C5QYG&pd_rd_wg=Kn3Vp&pd_rd_r=381f002f-1d13-48d7-99a2-596520e5074c&pd_rd_i=B09N72FMH5&psc=1

Also quite like the look of the TP-Link AC750. 

Other wise i was thinking for a TP-Link Archer C50, which i have had in the past. 

That one looks OK. I use the TP Link travel router https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/ It has a good range and is really small. It has never let me down. However I connect it to the mixer via Ethernet and it on,y has one Ethernet port. So I bought a four port hub to go with it. The GL-iNet has three Ethernet ports and providing the wireless side works OK, would have been a good choice for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The Gl iNet 1200 is the at the moment on my list of things to get as soon as I can get a non amazon source for it - I use a much better one, but I don't need that much power as it doesn't have much to do, but that little one has the advantage of being USB powered. So yes, I would go for one of those.

I do have a TP-Link AC750, which is what I used before and it worked perfectly, but I need two ethernet sockets for the mixer and the surface, so even though they were reliable and perfect for the job (in some ways better than what I have now), it was twice the number of things, and I am all about not having as much stuff now. Then I needed one around the house, so I used the other router anyway.

But in your position with just the one socket need, the AC750s are perfect, reliable, can be powered by the XR18 (although probably not officially!) and work well.

You just beat me to it.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. God to know im on the right path. 

As much as i quite fancy that GL, i think I’ll stick with a brand i know. There are a few posts about connection issues (which im sure all brands suffer from occasionally), but Ive always liked the Tp-link interface, and i like that i can power it with a USB cable. 

I’ll get it ordered tomorrow. 

The TP-Link arrived today and it was quite painless setting it up. It looks cool and will fit in the Gator case with the XR18.

I ‘think’ im all ready to go live with the band in two weeks time (bloody Bass player decided to go on holiday). 

Just wondering what firmware you guys are on. I was looking on Behringer’s website and they have 1.18, but mine is 1.19. Obviously no need to update, but i was surprised that 1.19 isnt there. 

On 09/06/2023 at 23:46, dave_bass5 said:

The TP-Link arrived today and it was quite painless setting it up. It looks cool and will fit in the Gator case with the XR18.

I ‘think’ im all ready to go live with the band in two weeks time (bloody Bass player decided to go on holiday). 

Just wondering what firmware you guys are on. I was looking on Behringer’s website and they have 1.18, but mine is 1.19. Obviously no need to update, but i was surprised that 1.19 isnt there. 

There’s a fairly helpful X-Air user group on Facebook “Behringer X-Air Group v2” and a few folk on there have mentioned newer mixers being sent out with firmware 1.19. Consensus appears to be newer models have a slightly different chipset (following the shortage of chips) hence the different firmware. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JPJ said:

There’s a fairly helpful X-Air user group on Facebook “Behringer X-Air Group v2” and a few folk on there have mentioned newer mixers being sent out with firmware 1.19. Consensus appears to be newer models have a slightly different chipset (following the shortage of chips) hence the different firmware. 

Ah cool. Thanks for that. 

So last nights gig had in-house PA & engineer (a treat for me as I’m the one tasked with running sound in both my bands). The venue was using the Soundcraft Ui16 and the engineer was suffering WiFi dropouts all night which he said he experienced a lot when bands use wireless gear (I was using a Line6 G30 and one guitarist was using a Lekato wireless). I checked and he was using the built-in WiFi so I guess the in-built WiFi problems are not limited to Behringer? 

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

So last nights gig had in-house PA & engineer (a treat for me as I’m the one tasked with running sound in both my bands). The venue was using the Soundcraft Ui16 and the engineer was suffering WiFi dropouts all night which he said he experienced a lot when bands use wireless gear (I was using a Line6 G30 and one guitarist was using a Lekato wireless). I checked and he was using the built-in WiFi so I guess the in-built WiFi problems are not limited to Behringer? 

You'd be correct.  The Ui16 is particularly dreadful.  A company I used to freelance for had one that they'd send out on small corporate events when it was just a couple of mics and some playback, and I had such horrendous, show stopping issues with the control interface seizing up (even with a wired network connection to my laptop, sometimes) that I stopped taking it on shows at all.  I wouldn't trust the built in WiFi on any mixer from any brand in a show critical situation. 

On 08/06/2023 at 15:51, Woodinblack said:

I don’t think it can, at least not from the XR18. I tried loads of cables but there is no power coming out. I believe the XR12/16 can. Not a big deal. 

Edited by dave_bass5

22 hours ago, mike257 said:

You'd be correct.  The Ui16 is particularly dreadful.  .........  I wouldn't trust the built in WiFi on any mixer from any brand in a show critical situation. 

As I said earlier, I have the Ui16 and I would also not trust the inbuilt Wi-Fi but also used the Behringer XAir 12 and  XAir 18 as a FOH Tech, and they were also awful. The UI24R has a different Wi-Fi module, but it is twice the price of the UK16.

According to @Phil Starrthe RCF M18 is quite stable but for me, it did not have enough mic inputs.

My Ui16 runs beautifully with the TP-Link travel router.

• Like 2

Ive ended up sending the TP-Link AC750 back, and got the GL.iNet Opal instead. The AC750 worked fine, no issues at all, but i can see the advantage of having a hard wired connection as well. 

Although i can connect my ipad directly to the XR18 using Ethernet, that would exclude anyone using phones for their mixes. Hopefully the Opal will be the solution. I also prefer the USB-C port over the Micro one. 

I did originally order the Slate plus, but the Opal seems almost as good, and more than up to this job. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had our first gig with the XR18 las night. Quite stressful getting it all set up as the band had never seen anything like this, and it was the first time we were fully wired up to the desk. Loads of ‘where does this go?’, ‘cant hear myself’ etc. Once all the cables were in it was plain sailing. 

It worked flawlessly, other than i was getting feedback from the bass (DI’ed, but im guessing it was the pup picking up the room). 

No sure how good the overal mix was out in the room after we had sound checked, as im sure levels went up as the night went on, but it was a good mix at soundcheck, minus the keys as i was at the back of the room. Then got my singer to take the ipad and balance me in to the mix. 

3 of us now using IEM’s, and another looking on with interest. So nice hearing everyone in my ears, rather than just me and an ambient mic (although i still used one).

I recorded the whole gig, via my iPad Pro and Logic. I wasn’t expecting much, but it worked flawlessly and captured everything. 17.5GB in total. 

And to top it all, X-Air is now working on iOS16, although i didnt use it last night.

Good times ahead. 

• Like 2

If I was in the market for a digital desk I’d go for the Soundcraft models that run with an inbuilt web server to provide the UI. That has a much better chance of longevity and can’t be randomly borked by OS updates like the Xair products.

2 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

If I was in the market for a digital desk I’d go for the Soundcraft models that run with an inbuilt web server to provide the UI. That has a much better chance of longevity and can’t be randomly borked by OS updates like the Xair products.

That was why I bought one.

• Like 1

Soundcraft are surprisingly good and seem very decent bang for buck!

I've just sussed out how I can get 4 IEM outputs, each with independent volume controls and the ability to precisely tailor what each band member hears on a couple of them, on my MTK12 unit. I think that's going to be just the ticket for our 4 piece band. And not bad going for a 12 channel analogue desk. 

Also new FW for X-Air mixers have just been released. It’s now v1.20 across the board. 

New Features
• Added support for V2 mixers with alternative MCU, FPGA, USB, WIFI module: XR18V2, MR18V2, X18V2
• Added support for mixers with alternative WIFI module: XR12W, XR16W, MR12W
Note: Refer to Appendix for an overview of applicable firmware