Why become a member? ×

Fretless gigging

blamelouis

[quote name='blamelouis' post='465570' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:49 PM']Got a relaxed gig on monday night and i've decided it has to be fretless only !!!! :)
First time ive ever played fretless live.

Any tips from you fretless swordsmen ?[/quote]

Keep it simple and make sure you have good monitoring. Otherwise it's just the same as playing fretted really. Have a good gig
Chris

well being comfortable onstage sound wise is important but secondary to fully knowing the material you are going to be performing. If you have it down then by definition you should have a fun night.

I always bring a spare bass, if it's fretted No Worries!

[quote name='The Funk' post='465789' date='Apr 18 2009, 01:05 AM']Come on, dude. Steve Bailey's the man! And I meant playing indoors, onstage at night with sunglasses on. :)[/quote]

Yeah, i love steve, i was trying to show just how important intonation is. Just ask a random woman on the street. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well i did it ! :)

The guitarist/singer decides to leave his acoustic at home and bring his les paul and distortion pedals!!!

So we had crossroads and sunshine of your love along with Hendrix and Thin lizzy ....and fretless .
Couldnt hear myself or compete with this and drums !!
Oh well :rolleyes:
Back to the Warwick next week and i am gonna SLAP till their ears are ringing !!

I use my fretless on one tune at the moment, but am doing some of my singer's acoustic stuff soon and if we gig that it will be fretless + pod; haven't played it live with the full band yet i've got enought stuff to carry!

I know all about intonation - I had to move the bridge to get it right (damn my half arsed measuring!)

[quote name='blamelouis' post='474574' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:51 PM']Well i did it ! :)

The guitarist/singer decides to leave his acoustic at home and bring his les paul and distortion pedals!!!

So we had crossroads and sunshine of your love along with Hendrix and Thin lizzy ....and fretless .
Oh well :rolleyes:
Back to the Warwick next week and i am gonna SLAP till their ears are ringing !![/quote]

Should have got some Bad Company in there and you would have been sorted!

Don't stray too far from the bridge or the nasty Intonation Troll will eat you up....it's also been known for him to venture onto the bridge aswell ( he's on mine quite often) Keep your eyes and ears open....he's everywhere :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='474774' date='Apr 29 2009, 10:28 AM']Haven't done more than a handful of gigs on fretted bass since 1986 (and they weren't by choice!).[/quote]

And, what do you mean by that, Bilbo?

You won't prove me it any-way, that fretless suits all situations in life... :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='474814' date='Apr 29 2009, 09:42 AM']I've recently decided to switch from fretless gigging to fretted. I enjoy playing the fretless, but I would tend to spend the whole time looking at my left hand, and gigs are more fun when you're looking at the crowd.

S.P.[/quote]

Yep, I always looking at my fretting hand on fretless, has to be done no two ways about it for me! I look on fretted too.

[quote name='Faithless' post='474968' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:29 PM']And, what do you mean by that, Bilbo?

You won't prove me it any-way, that fretless suits all situations in life... :)[/quote]

The only situation where, arguably, a fretted is better, IMO, is when you are slapping. I don't go there so the fretless wins every time. I find it delivers a better sound, warmer, fuller, more expressive, more wood and less metal (I know what that means). I am, of course, referring to the kinds of gigs I do so this is bound to be a completely subjective perspective.

PS I played fretted only for the first 6 years. With a pick!

[quote name='leschirons' post='465639' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:16 PM']Take a back up fretted.[/quote]
Leave the backup - no safety net really makes you concentrate.

[quote name='blamelouis' post='474574' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:51 PM']Well i did it ! :)

Oh well :lol:
Back to the Warwick next week and i am gonna SLAP till their ears are ringing !![/quote]
Just play the fretless louder! Once you get your sound together it'll still cut through all the noise.:D

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='474774' date='Apr 29 2009, 08:28 AM']Haven't done more than a handful of gigs on fretted bass since 1986 (and they weren't by choice!). People are right; you have to be able to hear yourself or your intonation will be impossible to guage accurately.[/quote]
With you there.

[quote name='Faithless' post='474968' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:29 PM']And, what do you mean by that, Bilbo?

You won't prove me it any-way, that fretless suits all situations in life... :lol:[/quote]
Works for me and Bilbo! ;) :rolleyes:

Actually I even like slapped fretless.. more organic sounding than twangy. If you want twangy, though, Bilbo's right - that's the one sound you can't quite get, although I did have a brass fingerboard one a few years ago. Graunch supreme!

[quote name='Lifer' post='475127' date='Apr 29 2009, 02:37 PM']What strings does everyone use on their fretless? I've got these bad boys on at the mo:

Galli Black Nylon Taperwound - plenty of 'Mwah' and a nice thump, kind to the fingerboard and lovely to slide on too![/quote]
I get these made up in Wales.. I like the feel, and others seem to appreciate the sound.
[attachment=24532:picato.5str.DB.FW.jpg]

[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/3542"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/3542[/url]

Can be heard on 'The Gift' at www.myspace.com/hughbass

Edited by hubrad