Why become a member? ×

NBD - Xotic XPJ-1T - Chuck Rainey Signature

hiram.k.hackenbacker

I've been after one of these for a while and had recently contacted the manufacturer to enquire regarding availability.

Tokyo responded just last week saying that the model had been discontinued and I had all but given up trying to find one.

@AndyTravis came to the rescue after spotting this on eBay - I still don't know why my saved search for it didn't alert me. I think Andy may have beaten eBay's algorithms 😂.

Anyhoo, it arrived late last night and was exactly as described i.e absolutely mint.

Seller said he had played it twice from new. I can see no visible signs that it has been played at all from looking at the frets.

Weighs in at bang on 9lbs and has a custom made tort pick guard on it, which I view as an upgrade on the white one they shipped with. Seller also included the original.

It has a ridiculously low action on it and sounds the business. Convincing P and J sounds plus lots more in between.

Pics to follow - I have to delete some apparently.

• Like 7

I've just noticed that the scratch plates go over the control knobs which are fixed on the bass. What a great idea that is. I don't think I've ever had a bass with that before.

I also noticed that it has Luminlay front and side dots. Brough it in from the garden after taking the above photos and it was lit up like a Christmas tree.

Given the amount of basses that have passed through Hackenbacker Towers over the years, I'm stunned I've never had these before.

IMG_2322.png

IMG_2323.png

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ped said:

Always liked the look of these. I saw this one on eBay too and was pretty tempted. Really like the wooden covers and the little details. Colour looks great, too - prefer the white plate myself. 

Having wanted one of these for a while, I was quite accepting of the white plate. I do think it works better against the wooden pick-up covers. I'm preferring the tort at the moment, but having seen the plate is so easy to change, I can pop the white one on whenever.

15 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Looked at one of these basses myself back when they came out but hesitated because I couldn't easily get hold of one in a colour I liked. I wish I had bought one now. Looks like an exceptionally useful bass.

Beautifully built,too. Enjoy it.🙂

I have to say I was unaware they came in any other colour. What other finishes were there?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Having wanted one of these for a while, I was quite accepting of the white plate. I do think it works better against the wooden pick-up covers. I'm preferring the tort at the moment, but having seen the plate is so easy to change, I can pop the white one on whenever.

I have to say I was unaware they came in any other colour. What other finishes were there?

Well, when they first came out I asked if they could get me one or make me one in another colour and I seem to remember I got a vague and equivocal answer that they might but not right now.

Subsequently I have seen these basses in various colours but not described as the Chuck Rainey model, so I think what designates it as a CR signature model is specifically the transparent yellow blonde finish. Otherwise it's a regular XPJ-4 model available in all the usual colours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I've just noticed that the scratch plates go over the control knobs which are fixed on the bass. What a great idea that is. I don't think I've ever had a bass with that before.

I also noticed that it has Luminlay front and side dots. Brough it in from the garden after taking the above photos and it was lit up like a Christmas tree.

Given the amount of basses that have passed through Hackenbacker Towers over the years, I'm stunned I've never had these before.

IMG_2322.png

IMG_2323.png

It is a great idea! The only other bass I’ve seen it on was my Music Man Big Al. Shame more makers don’t do it but I guess it’s cheaper and easier to anchor the pots on the plate than into the cavity?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...